Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691066
  • Total Topics: 118369
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gallipoli themed boards  (Read 3113 times)

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
Gallipoli themed boards
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:23:34 AM »
Hello,

This is a bit of a shot in the dark but im looking on some advice on painting Gallipoli themed bases/ boards. Im working on a few trench boards which are going to be Gallipoli themed and ive also got to base up some more Turks. There was an amazing article on the construction of the Lone Pine board in the Wargames Illustrated magazine but it didnt have any info on the colours used to paint the boards.

Does anyone have any advice on colours to use? Preferably GW, Reaper or Vallejo paints. Ill take a paint sample into Home Depot and get a can mixed up.

Thanks,

Andrew

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
Re: Gallipoli themed boards
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:28:16 AM »
Andrew,

Battlefront has probably the single best basing tutorial I have ever found on the web.  Too bad, it only covers desert/dry environments: http://www.flamesofwar.com/default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=1744

I recommend their "Sahara" themed technique, colors, and foliage:

David

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 03:48:59 AM »
Hallo,
Not an expert here, just some of my notes for you no specific manufacturers’ colors. The paint section of the store you mentioned should have chips for your use.  Also, just for views of shades / tones go through your favorite spice aisle and check out the ‘natural’ color values you find there.

Less is more I discovered.

Colors: Trenches and Blasted Zones in General

Base Color
Muted Earth tones and shades—essentially, your choice of mud.

Middle Lights
Lighter values of mud, dust, mushroom, and sand, these would include various values of ocher, sienna, umber, and cinnabar.
Muted greens to dark green (even dusky blue-greens).
Heather / Dusty shades of rust, rose, and yellows (ocher, sienna, and umber especially).

Highlights
Woodash, cinders, achromatic-grays, some lighter shades of blue

I used various chalks, powdered paints, and varieties of ground-up sands and pumices to add textures and tonal variations to my trench board.  These were available from garden centers and hobby stores and nature. Add hammer and you have a good supply of resources, perhaps even cheaply.

Best,
Sender
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 06:32:35 AM »
Thanks a lot CorvetteK225!!! I totally forgot about that article. Luckily ive got most of those colours at home so getting a batch mixed up shouldn't be a problem :). I just watched a Gallipoli documentary a couple of days ago (It was on youtube and was named 'The Gallipoli Catastrophe Documentary'. It is by the Battlefield Detectives and was utterly fantastic, lots of useful info) and most the the terrain looked very similar to that with a touch more vegetation (something that during 1915 would have been blasted away sooo).

Thanks for your input too Sendak!

Hopefully ill make some progress on these boards soon!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:24:34 AM »
...something that during 1915 would have been blasted away

Accounts from my local regiment (who went into action on their first day, straight off the boats) refer the vegetation in the Suvla Bay area as "jungle"* (in fact it would seem they got lost in it trying to find the Turks), so you don't have to assume a landscape devoid of foliage was the backdrop to all the fighting.

They also mention their trenches flooding after heavy rain, and later on blizzards and snow, so you really do have options other than "arid."  :)

*Not saying it actually was jungle, just that's the word they used for it. The tall dense scrub must have seemed like jungle to folks used to the green fields and bare hills of the Welsh Marches.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:04:27 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »
Dave Bodley built a Gallipoli board which is featured in Wargames Illustrated - Salute 2011. See this link for more details;
http://www.grandmanner.co.uk/Portfolio/Special_Projects.html

Tony

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:26:04 PM »
Thanks for all the comments everyone! This has been very helpful!

Im thinking doing a rough representation of Suvla Bay (Buddy of mine has Western front canadians who are going to be stand ins for Newfoundlanders) This is what im hoping for...

This is Kangaroo beach which the Newfoundlanders landed on. If anyone has anymore info/ maps of Kangaroo beach please toss them my way. Im curious what the turks would have had defense wise in this location. I know it was mainly snipers opposing the allied forces landing.

Thanks again!!

Andrew