Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:24:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WWI and WWII series unknown to me  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
WWI and WWII series unknown to me
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
Anyone seen or heard anything about these BBC series from the '80ies?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: WWI and WWII series unknown to me
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »
Yeah, the Monocled Mutineer was very good. The true story of one Percy Topliss who (IIRC, it was a very long time ago) deserted from his regiment and passed himself off as an officer to get away from the trenches, eventually going on the run and being captured near where I live. Needless to say it eventually ends badly for him.

A very good series though, McGann was excellent in it. If I'm remembering rightly it has a lot to do with the cowardice/shellshock debate and the number of soldiers executed because of it.

I haven't seen the other two, but I remember hearing about them, and believe they are of a high standard, as used to be the case with the majority of BBC productions.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
Thanks, Sir Bob de Jollie.

I am especially interested in that Mosley series as I have been nurturing a Weird War II idea featuring him.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:10:08 PM »
Mosley I didn't watch.

UXB - saw a few and they were pretty good.

Monocled Mutineer I watched and enjoyed, but there was a lot of debate at the time about the accuracy of it.
Alan Bleasdale  wrote it, adapting it from a book - I don't recall the author(s) though I read it after watching the adaptation -  and the "Class War" left wing element was right in your face.  Most officers were portrayed as upper class fools, NCOs' were bullies and "traitors to their class." 

Great acting tough, as I say I enjoyed it.  Just not sure how much was fact and how much was fiction.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:23:51 PM »
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »
Danger UXB
http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/dangeruxb.htm

"Ash is billeted with other officers of his unit at Mrs Baker's house, where he soon discovers that among the amenities on offer is the landlady's daughter, Norma (Deborah Watling), who becomes sexually aroused during air raids"

Sound like a very interesting film from a stricly historical perspective.

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:58 PM »
Danger UXB is one of my Dad's favorites. I was allowed to watch the opening titles when it first came on PBS, and then I got shooed out of the room.

I'm hoping this means I can get him on board with ANZACS.

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »
I remember watching 'Danger UXB' when it was originally shown on TV in Canada.  I thought it was very well done, well acted and quite tense.  Plus, it had Judy Geeson in it, who was one of my favourite English 'birds'!  :D
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »
The Mosley series was a Channel 4 show rather than BBC, and it was from the 90s.

I remember enjoying it at the time, but now I can't recall much about it. The one thing that sticks in my mind was the use of the "C" word. It's the one swear term that's still kind of taboo in the UK (or at least it was then), and you almost never hear it on TV (unlike f**k, which was and is quite common).

There was only one use of it, Mosley's jailer calls him one while he is imprisoned during World War Two. A memorable scene. Somehow it was very shocking, even though it is a word I hear in real life quite a bit, and to have it blurted out in a TV drama like that was pretty powerful, and really put across just how hated he had become, now that Fascism was officially the enemy.

In case you don't know the word I mean, it is an anagram of the famous Anglo-Danish king, Cnut.

Worth watching, I think.

You know, I really liked the BUF's symbol. I think they had the best symbol of all the fascist parties. It looks like it belongs on a Superhero's chest. I won't post it here as that probably breaks some German law. Still, a great logo. Pity they were fascists really.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:47:29 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
The Mosley series was a Channel 4 show rather than BBC, and it was from the 90s.

I remember enjoying it at the time, but now I can't recall much about it. The one thing that sticks in my mind was the use of the "C" word. It's the one swear term that's still kind of taboo in the UK (or at least it was then), and you almost never hear it on TV (unlike f**k, which was and is quite common).

There was only one use of it, Mosley's jailer calls him one while he is imprisoned during World War Two. A memorable scene. Somehow it was very shocking, even though it is a word I hear in real life quite a bit, and to have it blurted out in a TV drama like that was pretty powerful, and really put across just how hated he had become, now that Fascism was officially the enemy.

In case you don't know the word I mean, it is an anagram of the famous Anglo-Danish king, Cnut.

Worth watching, I think.

You know, I really liked the BUF's symbol. I think they had the best symbol of all the fascist parties. It looks like it belongs on a Superhero's chest. I won't post it here as that probably breaks some German law. Still, a great logo. Pity they were fascists really.

All powerful arguments, P. I will purchase this very, very slightly blue TV series. BTW, in Sweden when the equivalent  (fatti, swap the vowels) is used in a TV show, the critics will say it is very contemporary, honest and true as long as a woman or first generation Swede is saying it. Should it be a white +25 male he will be sent to a rehabilitation clinic.

BTW, I will never be able to resist the things you remeniscing about. I always make me feel like I've missed out on a important bit of English (OK, Welsh) culture. :-)