Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for information on the The Empire's last slave master, a man named Marsh  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
So I was reading about Sir Henry Morton Stanley, a famous british explore one of my female friends is obsessed with right now due to a book he wrote. I learned about the little boy he "adopted", anyway the child died rather terribly by going over a waterfall at the age of twelve. Stanley was not there and sad when he heard. That was in the old book I have. The recent Belgium post got me thinking about my IHMN african campaign I was working one and I started reading about Belgium free state on wiki. Anyways I am rambling but in  Kalulu wiki entire there is this line near the end.  
"After learning of the tragedy Stanley vowed to rid the empire of its only remaining Slave master, the one they called 'Marsh'."

Who is this slave master named Marsh? I have been looking and I have found nothing about him, but with the cryptic name like "Marsh" and a rather dramatic vow against him, he seem like the perfect villain to add to a Darkest Africa Campaign.  
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Offline Maldred

• Bookworm
  • Pour encourager les autres
Stanley vowed to rid the empire of its only remaining Slave master, the one they called 'Marsh'

always up for a challenge but I've drawn a complete blank .. the only records seems to be the entry you found ... and not everything on a Wiki is true ...

BTW - searching for "slave master" brings up some very dodgy webpages  :o
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people ... I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out ...

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
that's wikipedia problem, unsourced information becoming sources ...

you can say marsh is the surname of tippu tip, zanzibarian slave trader and governor of stanley falls district , no references , so ... ;)
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
always up for a challenge but I've drawn a complete blank .. the only records seems to be the entry you found ... and not everything on a Wiki is true ...

BTW - searching for "slave master" brings up some very dodgy webpages  :o

This is not the only record I have found just the most noticeable.I have dozens of old documents from the Gothenburg Library and all the old ones on Kobo e-pub, all free and written in the 1700's- 1800's-1900's and early 20th century. In a couple of documents written about slavery in England or before the abolishment there is mentions of a firm owned by James Vanhouse & John Marsh, this firm dealt in slave. Dissolution of partnership between James and John M. Vanhouse as colonial brokers 9 Mincing Lane May 2 1865 so it was long gone by the 1890's. I have read other reference to a British Slaver named Marsh though.

Gods help me, I think I may be digging into old texts for the next 3 months cause now I am curious.

Offline mysteriousbill

• Mad Scientist
Good, the less that is known the easier it is to create a character the way you want it.  :)

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
Good, the less that is known the easier it is to create a character the way you want it.  :)

I want to agree with you In game terms but at the same time I am history major and I can't walk away from a mystery, so I will finish my Marsh list and keep looking the historical figure.

And yes I have start on a shadowy organization that will have three list. A group that has three or more branches, picture umbrella corp but in the victorian era, and I think mister Marsh might be at it head. 

This will be done this weekend as I am moving all week.