Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 02:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696310
  • Total Topics: 118757
  • Online Today: 465
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starting out with IHMN.  (Read 1310 times)

Offline TinyPrivates

• Lurker
  • What Ho, Wizz Bang and Chaaaarge!
Starting out with IHMN.
« on: January 27, 2014, 08:47:45 AM »
Morning all,

As I'm off work with a chest infection my fevered mind wondered and I found IHMN. I'm really excited about the game, both books purchased, could anyone give me a pointer as to which forces would be a good "starter"?

I'm going to be playing this with my daughters on the kitchen table (They don't know it yet.).

Sorry for any repetition if this has been asked before.

Offline Eisenfaust

• Scientist
  • Gamer geek, itinerant cyborg and Viking shaman
    • My blog: Dispatches from the Rim
Re: Starting out with IHMN.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »
Any of the companies are good choices to start off with. If you're going to be purchasing minis, the sets North Star did are each a nice basic company with an extra troop or two. If you're going with minis you already own, there's probably a company written to fit them. You might get most utility out of Scotland Yard, Lord Curr's Company or the Servants of Ra, depending on what else you play. Each offers a degree of straight Victorian Gaming, a little Weird Science, or some magic/Gothic Horror. But it would be really hard to go wrong with any of the companies, especially in the first volume.
dispatchesfromtherim.blogspot.com
www.brassandblood.com

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:21:23 AM »
If you are playing with your daughters I'd look at companies with strong female characters in such as Lady Felicity in Lord Curr's Incorrigibles or The Dragon Lady in the Black Dragon Tong.
You could also pop over to the blog and read the article 'Creating your own company in IHMN' (http://inhermajestysname.wordpress.com/additional-material/) . This describes the creation of Lady Helen Quatermain's Privateers. There is also lots of other useful material there like up-to-date Reference Sheets and the Errata.
One thing to note is that in IHMN is a game where plenty of cover is vital. So dig out everything you have :)

I hope you enjoy your first engagements and if you have any questions please feel free to ask them here.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Trix2K

• Assistant
  • "Deeper than deep... like TOTALLY deep!"
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »
Not sure how old your daughters are, but how about a "Through the Looking Glass" theme?

There are mini's out there that would allow you to visually represent this.

It would make for an interesting company.
"Nothin's there..." means something's hiding.

Offline Irishrover13

• Scientist
  • Most of what I say is lost in translation.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »
I don't know how old your daughters are but if they are teens gamers then you should just let them make their own lists. I would just download the easy build list and tutorial from Craig's website and tell them to pick their favourite minis and then make a list. It is a lot of fun to make your own lists and then they can make strong female leads if they want or Pretty Princesses or Macbeth Style witches or undead pirates.

But if you are buying three box sets to start I suggest the Egyptian Cultists (switch out the prince for an Egyptian Princess if you feel the need) , Tongs and Scotland yard for three players.
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis