Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:22:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cretacea - Dinosaur wargaming - LARGE PICS  (Read 13322 times)

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
Re: Cretacea - a new game for dinosaur skirmishes -LARGE PICS- MANY
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:37:08 PM »

QUESTION -
Does anyone have success with the old "books under the gaming cloth" method for ellevation and hills?

TW

I suggest you use bathroom towels. They make for more natural hill forms underneath the cloth and can be put in any shape you want. Gives more of a 'rolling hills' feel to your table...

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 12:00:05 AM »
thanks guys.

as per the warping cardboard its not really something i thought about. because i was using hot glue for the twigs it meant that the glue dries way to fast for the cardbaord to absorb enough moisture to warp. on the other hand i was mass basing other stuff with these and when i added the gravel before spraying i used a very watered down pva (white) glue and that did not warp the board either. i reckon it was a mixture of luck and speed on this one.l definitely working fast and keeping drying times to a minimum with my hot lamp helped.

as per the books idea i drew a mockup of an idea i had on paint. the triangles represent cardboard and the books...books. :)

i will try some actual tests tonight or tomorow.

TW
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 12:21:06 AM »
Deinonychus - the "velociraptor" (a fake name made up for jurassic park)

Definately a real name and a real dinosaur. Also definately not the dinosaur in Jurassic Park  ;)
The name got used because it "sounds cool"... To be fair, they're right, it does  :D

With regards to book hills, I'd agree with the previous suggestion and use towels, you can shape them and wouldn't need the card triangles. Which I assume would be triangular tubes like a Toblerone box? If you make them, I'd write the name of the book that each one fits to, that way they can line up properly each time without annoying you.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 08:17:09 PM »
Hey guys

back with painted updates for the brachiosaurus. Before people get all "histoircal accuracy" on me again i must stress that i chose that breed of sauropod because it seems to me to be the easiest to pronounce and being that the game is about fun and fast paced action we needed something i could abreviate in gameplay. such as i abreviate deinonycus to Dino in gameplay i shall be saying "brachy or bracho" for these two. THey represent mother and child.
Scale wise they are perfect against the other dinosaurs being that the scale is correct enough to pictures, diagrams and explanations of the animal and also they look large enough to create an impression on the gaming field.

the next is the child model. it still requires a slight light grey drybrush to remove the sheen from the brown parts. but the paint job is pretty much done.

Kind Regards
TW

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
Re: Cretacea - Dinosaur Wargaming
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
Hey again guys.

so i finished the four trees and i have a few pictures below to demonstrate them in play, mixed with the smaller foliage. my next venture for this project will be a watering hole.

apologies for the sub par pictures this time around. i tried photographing without the flash and although the quality was nicer i feel i might have ruined them a bit in the edit.

Kind Regards
TW