Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Proxy Aliens 28mm  (Read 9045 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Proxy Aliens 28mm
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »
We all love Aliens but it's become difficult to game due to a lack of decent Alien miniatures. Sure Prodos Games have their AVP KS but I'll wait and see how that turns out. So I was reading Mikko's excellent Dawn of the Lead blog where he's thoughtfully rounded up all the suitable proxies, and thought out of all of them the Tyranids, or 'nids as us cool kids say, looked the most promising...

http://dawnofthelead.com/2010/10/19/alien-miniatures-a-review/

These are Genestealers. They're delightfully meancing with their four arms, two of which are very Alien like. I've filled the eyes and bashed some paint on.

These are Tyranid Hormagaunt Brood, their tails are very Alien but their cutleried arms not so much. I've lenghtened their heads as well as filled in their eyes and "head holes"*.

These Tyranid Hormagaunt with Genestealer arms. I think they work reasonably well.

Rippers, two varieties for facehuggers.

Eggs, these come with the genestealers.

There's quite a bit of work in putting these together, and some are only attached to their slotta tabs very slightly. The piant is easy, which helps, black undercoat, German grey highlighting, silver highlighting, smoke brown Tamiya (X-19) and then gloss varnish. The hack paint job makes up for the assembly and modding. The tubes, etc on the bases are miliput rolled out, or as my darling wife coined "Alien turds."

I was surprised at how much like Alien some of the GW pieces are, but it reflects the happy go lucky atmosphere of the gaming world where we're all allowed to borrow from each other...  ::)

Should anyone have the usual probs with GW, and I don't blame you, these were pressies for my birthday, bar the half dozen brood with genestealer arms I bought from one of those bits companies. My conscience is clear, well aside from those buried bodies.

I'm still seeking a queen, I'm considering a mod of the ERM one - any thoughts?
http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/aln1-1041-p.asp

* Highly technical biological term which you won't be educated enough to know. :P

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: Proxy Aliens 28mm
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »
Very nice Phil. I have some I have been working on, on and off, for some time now based upon the GW miniatures as well.

Would it be worth looking at a Tyranid warrior to convert into a queen? Maybe via a bit site again?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »
Thanks.

Would it be worth looking at a Tyranid warrior to convert into a queen? Maybe via a bit site again?

I've considered it, although I'm veering slightly towards the EMR one but with SST bug legs... and that one is a fiver which doesn't get you much from GW.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
Fair enough. I got lucky with a little lot on evilbay so didn't know how much they had crept up to! :D

Soon, people will be choosing between a package holiday for a family of four or a regiment set . . . .   ;D

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 08:09:40 PM »
imho the Kryomek Aliens are fairly decent Miniatures,maybe convert one of the larger Warriors into a Queen?

some of mine

5-6£ a pop from the friendly Folks at Scotia Grendel  :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 10:15:22 PM »
Rippers for chest busters phil rather than face huggers I reckon. Looking good on the proxy aliens. Genestealer broodlord might work well for some uber-beastie.

Cheers.

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »
Broodlord might make a good pred alien and tyranid warriors with some sort of comb like a queen could be used as Praetorians which are sort of queen guards.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:10:38 PM »
All good suggestions folks - thanks.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:16:11 AM »
I picked up the same ranged as you for my project. I'm still cutting arms off genestealers! I got some Chapterhouse xeno heads which are a touch large. I also picked up the ERM queen which is still boxed up, but I do rather like it. It's a big model and a bargain for the price. I also got some of the ERM aliens which intended on using as Praetorians.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
I am veering towards the ERM queen, it does seem a bargain and has potential for modding.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Thanks Phil. Now I'm getting ideas for modifying some plastic Genestealers and Hormagaunts. I really don't need another project right now.  :(

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
I used the Heresy Lurker heads on mine - just because it made things a little more straightforward for me!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
The Gaunt bodies with 'Stealer's arms work a treat, especially with those converted heads. Also, the paintjob makes them instantly recognisable, as it's pretty iconic in the genre (even though it's pretty simple on its own).

That second Kryomek mini looks like a pretty good base for a queen or larger Xenomorph creature. Must be the large, hunched carapace.

Rippers for chest busters phil rather than face huggers I reckon.

For facehuggers, why not use Hasslefree's Head Crabs? I'd suggest Necromunda Ripperjacks, but these days, those are better called Walletbursters instead...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
It's Hasslefree head crabs that I bought to use as facehuggers. They're pretty decent proxies.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
The Gaunt bodies with 'Stealer's arms work a treat, especially with those converted heads. Also, the paintjob makes them instantly recognisable, as it's pretty iconic in the genre (even though it's pretty simple on its own).

Glad they work, I was a bit worried because the pj is a bit of a hack... but if others think they're working I'm increasingly happy with them.

May well go for the HF huggers, there's a good few choices though.