Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 860
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic world war one! Finally!  (Read 14495 times)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Plastic world war one! Finally!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

Is there someone from Victrix active on this forum? More importantly did they usually reply to consumer’s comments and suggestions about their WIP? :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 03:12:16 PM »
Is there someone from Victrix active on this forum?

Not that I can recall...
Or if there is, I don't think they've ever shown their hand.

Offline mikeland

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 09:50:13 AM »
I am just happy that this era is finally getting some plastics. Hopefully Victrix will take heed of customer feedback... I notice they mention the entrenching tool will be altered in the next preview. Even if they are not spot on they will make a good solid start for conversions. Even more excited to see the Germans...

Though I fear it may be the Centenary of the Somme before we have these in our hands.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 11:23:21 PM »
They look fine to me...though yes, correctly proportional which means they won't blend well with many other ranges.  For someone who's standing on the outside of WW1 gaming looking in, a big box of 40-50 soldiers in nice plastic is pretty inviting (particularly if they support the range well...).

While they may not be everybody's cup of tea - I'm just always thrilled to see new products in the market...so good job!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:56 AM »
Another picture, this time also showing some Germans (taken from the Steve Dean Forum):

Victrix also anounced on their homepage, that they are starting a range of plastic 15mm/1:100 WW2 aircrafts:

Exciting times at Victrix as the effort we have expended in digital technology is starting to bear fruit.
A major benefit for Victrix from the research and development into digital technology has allowed us to develop a new range of 1/100 scale (15mm to the wargamers) aircraft models. I must confess this new range really has got me in a fervent mood having  always had a great interest in piston engine combat aircraft and I spent many happy hours as a child hanging Airfix aircraft models from my bedroom ceiling.
Initial Releases
The release schedule for our first 4 releases is as follows:
VXAC0001 Junkers Ju87D-5/G Stuka                        CAD completing and tooling scheduled
VXAC0002 Hawker Typhoon                                       CAD underway
VXAC0003 P47 Thunderbolt                                        CAD underway
VXAC0004 IL2 Sturmovik                                              Design brief underway
Our initial releases obviously concentrate on the ground attack warfare but all being well the next tranche of releases will focus on one of history's most iconic air battles.

I'm not sure, how that affects the release of the Great War sets.  :?

former user

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:28 AM »
I hate it to be a jerk, but the coalscuttle helmets look kind of WW2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:25:57 AM by bedwyr »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »
I hate it to be a jerk, but the coalscuttle helmets look kind of WW1

You mean WW2 right? Because they're certainly nothing like the shape of the M1916 stahlhelm...

former user

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 11:26:37 AM »
Yes, You are right and I cannot focus on writing.
sometimes....

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
Do the tunics look short to you guys, they seem to just cover the butt?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »
Do the tunics look short to you guys, they seem to just cover the butt?

Yes, I think that's adding to the 'not quite right' impression. It's a funny thing, but this is often the experience of looking at computer renders rather than traditional sculpts. It's almost like the computer software doesn't provide quite the finesse to get the small details exactly right, whereas a sculptor working in Green Stuff (or whatever) can.

They look fine to me...though yes, correctly proportional which means they won't blend well with many other ranges.  

I'm afraid to my eye, they don't look correctly proportional. They look way too beefy for people of that era - all of the same slightly exaggerated physique. Are the legs too long? And there's something not right about the heads and necks.

To be fair though, we've only see a very few pictures and these are WIPs. I'm sure Victrix will work to improve these aspects, because they're certainly getting this feedback from what I've seen on a couple of other forums...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 12:39:47 PM »
Beefy is a problem, around 40% of British volunteers were turned down on health grounds, so this suggests some malnutrition in the remainder of the population.

former user

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 12:50:50 PM »
seriously, I am an avid proponent of 3D technology, but it appears like all the digital artists available are not interested in miniature sculpting. I cannot imagine all the skilled render wizards of the movie industry blundering about the poor digital sculpts I have seen so far. I know very well that the printing technology is not yet comparable to what a putty wizard can do, but if they don't start to get it right soon they will loose the innovative edge. All I've seen so far is simply disappointing. They should have them putty sculpted and scan them and then rework them digitally.

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
I agree with the observations on the beefy proportions to an extent. If it were too heavy of a detractor, nearly every sculptor would be out of work except for maybe...Richard Ansell (sculptor for Fife & Drum Miniatures as well as others). Yes, the skirts are a tad short for the average issued tunic. Below is a wonderful, yet typical, picture of average German soldiers in the latter part of the war.

"So sahen die Biester aus." / "Consort II" 8039? by drakegoodman, on Flickr

The Steve Dean Forum http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36118 has some other great points of issue posted as well.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 02:05:42 PM »
They'll make 2 boxes, 1 Brit and 1 German. Everyone will buy them in hopes that the full line will be made...arty, cav, tanks, etc. but it will fall flat and everyone will be disappointed...but I could be wrong. ::)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
... I'm afraid to my eye, they don't look correctly proportional. They look way too beefy for people of that era - all of the same slightly exaggerated physique. Are the legs too long? And there's something not right about the heads and necks.

A lot of the Victrix napoleonic figures have long legs... or rather, short torso... :(