Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:32:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691156
  • Total Topics: 118377
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dungeoncrawl/RPG-lite?  (Read 3732 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Dungeoncrawl/RPG-lite?
« on: February 11, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »
Sorry guys, I expect this has come up more than once before but my search skills are lacking!

So, what are the options for someone wanting to get into some "light" delving/exploring/adventuring? Maybe something not too serious, suitable for kids even? I'm looking for something fun that you can pick up and put down without getting to in depth.

I eagerly await your replies!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Dungeoncrawl/RPG-lite?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »
Well, if you're looking for something for kids...I'd wait till Christmas and see if you can pick up a copy of the new Hero Quest (simple dungeon crawl board game).  Someone suggested the upcoming game Myth in my thread - not sure how in depth it is.  Failing that, if you're going to go super-simple, just make something up?
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:06 PM »
There was in fact a thread about suitable dungeon crawls rules recently:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63202.0

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
Someone suggested the upcoming game Myth in my thread - not sure how in depth it is.
Yeah, that was me, I admit it... ;)

Myth has some interesting rules which are quite different from the common fare of stats, dice and equipment, but once you 'get it', after a couple of rounds of play, it's really simple, while still maintaining several levels of depth, which you can delve into after getting to know the game.

I'm pretty stoked about it and can't wait to get my copy and extras from the Kickstarter. there are some definite RPG elements to the game and playing the later levels with starting characters is plain suicide from what I hear. There apparently will be a second Kickstarter, advancing the character development and adding bigger enemies (Dragon!). Also, the game is completely cooperative; there is no GM, and the game's difficulty adapts to the amount of players involved.

I can also recommend Super Dungeon Explore, especially when you're wanting the game to be played with kids. Mostly because of the chibbi aesthetic. Basically, it's a trip down memory lane for all those who used to play 8-bit RPGs back in the day. The whole game is geared towards bringing such games onto a gaming board. During a crawl, there will spawn more and more enemies as the heroes slay them, escalating to the point where an end-level boss is triggered. Great fun, but between crawls, there are very little RPG elements, as nothing carries over from one game to the next. Still; it has an instant appeal to the kids.

The old mainstay Hero Quest needs no explanation of course. And I think the new incarnation, if it can survive all the drama until it's released, will be no different. Advanced HQ might also be an option, but I think Warhammer Quest might be a little too convoluted and random to provide a consistent challenge. Plus, there is the fact that these games can tend to become repetitive and can be easily broken once you understand their system.

Finally, there is the old Dungeons and Dragons boardgame. It's basically a toned down version of Hero Quest. So pretty simple to understand (and break ::) ), but it does have some RPG elements, has bendy plastic figures, which are kid friendly and plays pretty fast.

I canot comment on Descent, as I have never played it, but from what I read, it's pretty heavy on the rules and time (a single crawl can take an entire day apparently).

Hopefully that helps :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:31:42 AM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
Dungeon and Dragons adventure system !

Ravenloft
Ashardalon
Drizzt

These boxes brings a fun cooperative/solo game experience, and also a good source of material for other games (a lot of minis, dungeon tiles, etc...)

Offline BigB

• Librarian
    • The Ocala Garrison
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »
I've successfully run some dungeon crawl campaigns with:

Warhammer Quest (It was a warhammer world campaign and this was awesome)
Swords & Wizardy (DnD lite precursor.  VERY good)
Goalsystem Delves (great engine, but lots of conversion work compared to the others)

Offline Vauln

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 08:29:38 PM »
I also like the D&D Adventure Games, they are great for younger gamers. Get a couple of them and you can add them together to create something even greater. As I understand they are also compatible with the Dungeon Command sets.  

Offline Rhelyk

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
I would recomend Descent, been playing a 2nd ed campaign and it's pretty good. It's a lot more RPG-lite than the first edition was, and is designed around the group playing as a traditional RPG party with traditional classes/archetypes. Havne't tried any of the expansions, but the base game is designed around playing as a linked campaign.

I would recomend against the D&D boardgames. The production values are through the roof, the figures are decent and you get a fair amount of them, the cardstock boards and components have great art and are really thick and sturdy, the mechanics are pretty well balanced. HOWEVER, the game feels very by-the-numbers. It's mechanically sound, but there's just no "magic" in in, there's nothing about it that really gets you excited. I own ravenloft and ashardalon and we've played it a few times, and generally enjoyed it while playing, but it never captured any of our fascination and it has sat in my closet for 3 years. There's nothing wrong with it, but it just didn't have the fun&excitement factor.

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
If I might recommend my own set of playtest rules... Goblinquest has had some positive feedback and plays really well with my 6 and 4 years-old sons.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 09:48:57 PM »
Rab,

I looked at that the other day - looks like a hoot.  Not my style (no kids just yet to play with) but it looks rather charming.  :)

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:58:32 AM »
We played a fantasy version of Ronin last night that worked reasonably well given that it was thrown together. Lizardmen versus dwarves and humans. I fudged the spells, using the mystic powers from In Her Majesty's Name. Somehow forgot to include any sort of healing spell which I realized about halfway through.

Offline Jorny

• Bookworm
  • Space Age Romantic
    • Geek And Garden
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:05 AM »
I would also recommend Descent 2nd edition. Rules are relatively easy to learn, the production value is very high and it plays quickly. We have been able to fit in two or three adventures in one night. If you play a campaign it's also fun even if you lose!

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:00:32 AM »
Rab,

I looked at that the other day - looks like a hoot.  Not my style (no kids just yet to play with) but it looks rather charming.  :)

Thanks! Glad it appealed  :)

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
I would also recommend Descent 2nd edition. Rules are relatively easy to learn, the production value is very high and it plays quickly. We have been able to fit in two or three adventures in one night. If you play a campaign it's also fun even if you lose!
I second that! Descent is a very nice way to get into dungeoneering or roleplaying.
I started the same with a bunch of 12 year old kids using Hero Quest 3 years ago. They grew bored after 4 or five sessions so I had them switch to Pathfinder. We are stilll playing and having lots of fun every other friday.

GreetZ
GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »

I have a brand new copy with all of the first edition monsters and characters and the conversion kit to use them in 2nd ed for sale.  I'm looking for 80 euro plus shipping for the whole thing.  The game and conversion set alone are 80 euro, so you get the 1st ed stuff for free...  The game is 100% unplayed and the components are wrapped.  So if there is anyone in Europe interested... :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka