Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:49:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689612
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mixing early imperial and Caesarean Romans  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Mixing early imperial and Caesarean Romans
« on: February 17, 2014, 11:15:50 PM »
Mighty ones,

Is there any slice of actual history where the EIR and Caesarean troop types as offered by, say, Warlord could reasonably coexist on the battlefield? I have a bunch of Imperials but I'm liking the look of the Caesarean troops more and more.

Thanks in advance.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Mixing early imperial and Caesarean Romans
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 07:16:33 AM »
I think at some point at the beginning of the first century AD it is pretty conceivable to have both types of armors on the battlefield as representatives of various legions or troop types. Also mixing of helmets and body armours could be an idea just to get the differences a little bit smoother.
My problem with mixing of Warlord Caesarian and EIR would be the different scale of the troops. Their EIRs are on the small side, Caesarian troops are bigger and chunkier.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »
Many believe that the lorica segmenta (plate) on the eir troops was a really slow transition from the lorica hamata (mail) on the caesareans and that the main reason for the change was that it was easier to manufacture and repair.the soldiers themselves were resistent to change as it offered little extra protection while sitting heavier across the shoulders and was more difficult to move in.so even within a unit some of the veterans might still be more caesarean style while the newer equipped recruits might be in the eir style.so go ahead mix them up.but as already said the difference in scale should cause some difficulty with that as warlords caesarians are now larger and more in scale with other manufacturers.

former user

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »
the scaling issue aside, archaeological record doesn't show a change in the style of regulation reforms or the kind;
it is a smooth transition, and it depends on the equipment actually shown on the model.
there are a few helmets that won't go together, and we won't take a closer look at the scabbards and cingulum, which are actually the markers of the finer chronology.
Basically the time of the civil war when a previously uknnown number of legions was raised as well as the early principate when conquests were still pursued and the regulation of auxiliaries was not yet established should allow for mixing. But by the time of the Conquest of Britain it should fade out.
there are a lot of good books available for this topic....