Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elevated table  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Elevated table
« on: June 22, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »
Rich posted a thead (at least in The Speakeasy, and I cannot find the correspponding thread in here) about making an elevated table for skirmish gaming.

I set out to make my own version, and here it is:

The elevated table is 80 cm x 80 cm (I want it to support as well 60x60 as 90x90 cm game boards)

The legs are 30 cm long, attached by hinges for easy storage/transport, and I used 10 mm dowel for the 'leg-pinnings'.

I used felt blocks at the red marking - but I'm pondering about using some large rare earth magnets instead....

Here's the finished table with the 'base table':

The base-table is 90x90 cm to facilitate using it for rules, dice, beverages, etc.

I drilled four holes for the 'leg-pinnings' to fit into.

Some thoughts on this:

I think the construction is a little too wobbly as is, and I think I'll have to add some bolts to stabilize the legs when unfolded. Theyll have to go on some blocks next to the unfolded legs to avoid the bolt-hole to be too close to the upper end of the legs - and to overall strengthen the hold on the legs.

As an option, the base-table can be used for the hidden tomb/temple/cave, where some part of the adventure has to take place...  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 07:46:41 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Sendak

• Mad Scientist
Re: Elevated table
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »

Nice construction.

Transportable too.

Great job!

Simple et sage.
"Primative life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth." Stephen Hawking

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »
You might want to try installing a few diagonal reinforcements instead of more-and-more bolts. It should stiffen the legs pretty well and they don't need to run across the entire length of the table so you'll still be able to use lower area as well.

And yes, subterran warfare is essential, there's nothing quite like crawling through spider and snake infested caves in search of untold cursed riches, or like following the 'trail' to the enemy HQ through the sewers.  ;)
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:09:34 AM »
You might want to try installing a few diagonal reinforcements instead of more-and-more bolts. It should stiffen the legs pretty well and they don't need to run across the entire length of the table so you'll still be able to use lower area as well.

I've considered that, but I'm not really much of a DIY-guy, and I prefer to keep the construction as simple as possible. With the bolts I'll just glue a block beside each leg, attach the bolt and drill a hole for the bolt to fit in. I think it'll do the trick, but I'll keep you posted  ;)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:42:19 AM »
If you wanted to keep it easy to take down and set up without having to put a bolt in each time, you could also rig a "draw bolt", those simple pieces of hardware that you can put on doors and such to keep them from opening.

It looks sort of like this: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/80/67/22256780.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.jupiterimages.com/itemDetail.aspx%3FitemID%3D22256780&h=250&w=250&sz=8&hl=en&start=23&sig2=ZEDCH-ScRHKJ-wKcIh52xQ&tbnid=Gf6x_i2cDOWIaM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=111&ei=j31fSNaLHIueeYCkocoO&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddead%2Bbolt%26start%3D21%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

But it's the much simpler construction. Attache the bolt part to the table and the receiving end to the leg.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:56:50 PM »
A 'draw bolt' is actually what I have in mind, just did not know it is called that  :)

But I intend to use the version with a round bolt, so that it will fit into a hole in the leg - well, you'll see when I'm done, it's a little difficult to explain without a drawing...  lol

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
I know exactly what you are talking about and it's exactly what I was trying to convey, I just could not find the picture of it.  :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:26:28 AM »
Going to pick up the draw bolts today - may not get on with the project 'til tomorrow, though - Ive already placed my new old west toy train on the elevated table  lol

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »
I hope it works out for you but if it’s still to wobbly I’ve found some easy to use options for you.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tools&field-keywords=folding%20table%20hardware&page=1

The long folding table support (nr 2) was what I had in mind at first but the shorter ones (nr. 1 and 3) are interesting as well. I didn’t even know the short ones existed but they look sturdy enough provided the top of the legs is truly flat.

Still, for maximum stability I think you’ll be better off with solid diagonals. It’s not as difficult to make as it sounds, just place an additional block under the table and connect them with wing-nuts, it’ll last a lifetime.

Well, good luck with the build, count your fingers before you begin and make sure you have them all before you throw the garbage out.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »
I think, #1 is what I would go for, if I was just starting out (next time, maybe  ;D).. I cannot fathom what the other piece (#3. also shown with #1) is for..?

Got the draw bolts Tuesday, but I got home late, and yesterday and today EFC ins on...

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:39:38 AM »
#1 and #3 are two variants of the same principle, #2 can usually be found on (or rather underneath) camping tables.

#1 folds over the hinge and can be used with any thickness of leg.
#3 folds inside the hinge and therefore limits the thickness of the leg, but it’s not as thick thick as #1 when folded

ps. what's stopping you from making a second table?
"Look honey, what I made for our picknick trips, it's a foldable table. Am I getting good at DIY or not" 8)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
ps. what's stopping you from making a second table?
"Look honey, what I made for our picknick trips, it's a foldable table. Am I getting good at DIY or not" 8)

I'll post a pic of our office/hobby room/gaming room, and everything will make sense too you.... Btw, my wife prefers sitting on a blanket on the ground - I already bought a small camping table and some foldable chairs a couple of years ago, but they never have been used...  :?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »
Going to post pics of the final construction tomorrow.

I finally added the draw-bolts and drilled the holes for them. Gave me just the stability I wanted. Will post the promised pic of the 'gaming room' as well  ;)

Now, off to bed so I can be productive again tomorrow!!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »
Don't know why I never got to post this pic of the finished construction, but here it is:

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 06:03:28 AM »
That's a nice idea actually.

Do you guys find it easier to play standing up? I guess it might achieve a few things:

You can move around a bit and don't get a sore bum;

You get more of the "model's eye view" happening which can really help you enjoy your little soldiers a lot more.

These are just things I think it would be good for from my experience. I might try one out :)