Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 581
Total: 586

Recent

Author Topic: True Detectives anyone else picking up on the mythos?  (Read 9974 times)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
Re: True Detectives anyone else picking up on the mythos?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »
the big geek in me keeps hoping for a "tantacle" at the end but doubts that will be the case  ;)
-Eli

"I See Lead People"

Visit I SEE LEAD PEOPLE!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 07:38:05 PM »
Still trying decide which I should be more disturbed by: the content, or the fact I agree with nearly everything Cohle says...

Very curious to see how this gets resolved.  The mythos content has been pretty tangential up until now (which is a good thing), and I kind of hope it stays that way - just a hint, lurking menacingly in the shadows.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 05:34:24 AM »
Very curious to see how this gets resolved.  The mythos content has been pretty tangential up until now (which is a good thing), and I kind of hope it stays that way - just a hint, lurking menacingly in the shadows.
The old CoC GM in me imagines it appropriate that even a small revelation at this point would cause some significant psychological break.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »
Well, colour me satisfied!  I shall say no more until everyone has had a chance to watch the finale.   :-X

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 08:54:40 PM »
No spoilers for the rest of the week... 8)

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 03:31:14 AM »
Watched finale last night...great stuff. Sorry to see the season end.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 06:21:11 AM »
Watched finale last night...great stuff. Sorry to see the season end.

Wholeheartedly agree, pacarat. One of the most interesting pieces of television I've seen in very long while.

The Carcosa references may look tangential but were heavily related to the corruption and decline of the Tuttle bloodline. This was madness writ large.

"We got ours."

It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »
Watching the non-mythos-aware general public's attempts to claim there was no 'supernatural' element afoot is interesting.  It's being boiled to down to nothing more than serial killers and some drug-induced hallucinations, so there's an enormous amount of complaining about all the perceived red herrings and unrelated subplots, most of which actually are related if you're aware of the larger picture.  People are missing out on so much depth if they view the show as a simple whodunit.

Not aiming to sound snooty or superior here - I'm actually a bit saddened that so many weren't able to appreciate the full scope and impact.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 08:25:53 PM »
Fully agree with you Lidless.
But if the story can work for both the initiated and the unenlightened then all the better.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 08:47:28 PM »
Hi all,

So I just watched the first Episode of HBO's True Detectives and I am quiet taken by it, though I warn you it is slow burn and not for those who want gun fights or fancy gagets. I don't want to give too much away but there are hints of things beyond the scope of normal reality and gods better left sleeping in reality. Great fuel for morden Cthulhu or even pulp because the name to True Detectives is a nod to the pulp genre that shares the name. I recommend it to those who like slow burn detective dramas, Cthulhu flavoured TV or shows that make you think.

Cheers

Irish

The occultism is not supernatural, though, just perverted. The series is more like ... Wickerman. Fucking great show, though,  I just watched the last episode. Woody Harrelson and Mathew Mcconaughey, what a pair...

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 08:53:27 PM »
I see sales of Chambers' "King in Yellow" are up on Amazon.  Fresh blood...   ;D

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 01:56:04 AM »
I just watched the last episode. Outstanding. Don't think I've enjoyed a show that much in years.

I see sales of Chambers' "King in Yellow" are up on Amazon.  Fresh blood...   ;D

Fresh sentient meat.  :D

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 06:53:49 PM »
I believe the true genius of this series is that it really allows you to read it on both levels. If you want to assume a supernatural undertone, you can definitely find the connections. If you want to have a purely mundanely twisted story, you can. But the wonderful thing for me is that they leave room for doubt. Were they just visions and hallucinations or were they REALLY visions and such. It's a fine line and, like a good Lovecraft story, the viewer is left with questions in the end.

I do feel that the last little bit of the final episode was a little soft and seemed to be an addendum to make American audiences feel a little bit "better" about what they had just experienced. But, it did not wreck the rest of the series for me.

-Eli

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
You sum it up for me perfectly Eli.

Glad to have been along for the ride on this one.

Bring on Season 2.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 07:51:53 PM »
I have been told, but not verified for myself, that this series may be an anthology with each season involving new characters and stories that are not dorect tie-ins with the first.

Again, I haven't taken the time to look into this myself but the source I heard it from is generally pretty reliable. Has anyone heard anything similar?

-Eli