Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:05:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Glaurung Campaign - The Royal Guard of Tolfolas (Join the Crew)  (Read 7681 times)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
Really nice. I might suggest (if you do decide to repaint the shield a bit), having the top set of waves in white or a lighter blue (for crest/foam). That might lift the shield a little and compliment the star at its top.

Definitely think Altherion needs a bodyguard/henchman/loyal retainer though.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
Good fun this, and a great way to make use of those spare extra LOTR models; paint them up differently and call them something else! kudos!

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
It turns out, while everyone in Dol Amroth was focusing on Prince Altherion, another volunteer quietly joined the crew of the Glaurung. Peldroc the Hunter has had a very tough life.

You can read all about him, and find out why he might look just a little bit 'orcy' on my blog: http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/peldroc-hunter-joins-glaurung.html

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Glaurung Campaign - Peldroc the Hunter (Joins the Crew)
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »
I agree to the points you made concerning the existance of xbows and your reasoning for still aloowing them in your campaign.

Peldroc's backgroundstory is cool. While Mr. Tolkien would probably disagree with the idea of a half-orc being a hero for the good side (tainted-blood and so on), I believe we have the right to gently change those idea and introduce a more modern view of what makes People good and bad. As such I can completely agree with this concept of the half-orc who hates his father's origin and tries hard to prove he is different.

And I like the model. Very impressive. Well done.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
I believe we have the right to gently change those idea and introduce a more modern view of what makes People good and bad. As such I can completely agree with this concept of the half-orc who hates his father's origin and tries hard to prove he is different.

But then, in the world of Middle Earth as Tolkien wrote it, the guy wouldn't last five minutes amongst the free peoples. Interesting idea, though, and great painting!

Doomhippie, without derailing this thread, I am curious to know why you don't feel crossbows should appear in Middle Earth. I thought they were a fairly old weapon, even in use by the Normans at Hastings etc, right at the very start of the Middle Ages. If the Hobbits of the Shire have mastered crockery and waistcoats, then someone's come up with a crossbow somewhere. :D

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »
I think Doomhippie was just agreeing with me when I said that Tolkien hadn't intended for their to be crossbows in Middle-Earth. We can only really infer this from the fact that he never mentions ones, but he mentions bows all of the time.

As for half-orcs, if I remember correctly, it is implied that there is one in Bree hanging out with Bill Ferny, so they can move about in society if they don't look too goblinish...

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »
I think Doomhippie was just agreeing with me when I said that Tolkien hadn't intended for their to be crossbows in Middle-Earth. We can only really infer this from the fact that he never mentions ones, but he mentions bows all of the time.

Very true. I never really thought about it, but I guess he would've mentioned them if he considered them to be in use.

As for half-orcs, if I remember correctly, it is implied that there is one in Bree hanging out with Bill Ferny, so they can move about in society if they don't look too goblinish...

Another good point. I forgot about him - it was very heavily implied he was a bit goblinoid. I hope you don't think my last post was criticism - far from it!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 11:23:33 PM »
Nice work Joe :-* Love the effort you are putting into your ideas.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 01:26:27 AM »
Very true. I never really thought about it, but I guess he would've mentioned them if he considered them to be in use.

Another good point. I forgot about him - it was very heavily implied he was a bit goblinoid. I hope you don't think my last post was criticism - far from it!

What he said...  ;)

Seriously, I like to engage in educated discussions about Tolkien's World. I think it adds to the flavor, so to speak. And as I often seem to play around with various ideas and Scenarios for Middle-Earth I find it very inspiring to see other people's take on that world. That's why I love these theme oriented Middle-Earth threads.

Online Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
What he said...  ;)

Seriously, I like to engage in educated discussions about Tolkien's World. I think it adds to the flavor, so to speak. And as I often seem to play around with various ideas and Scenarios for Middle-Earth I find it very inspiring to see other people's take on that world. That's why I love these theme oriented Middle-Earth threads.

It is a testament to the richness of Tolkien's world that we could spend hours and hours discussing it!

Also:
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Squint-eyed_Southerner

Offline jscottbowman

• Scientist
    • Scotts Wargaming
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 02:19:53 AM »
It is a testament to the richness of Tolkien's world that we could spend hours and hours discussing it!

I agree, and I find it interesting, that from what I have seen from comments on the appendices of the Ext Eds of the DVDs... that Tolkien was rather keen for others to use his works as a framework and elaborate and continue them, so I like to see this kind of material being written , as  long as it does not stretch too far from the 'canon', then I feel it further enriches the world of Middle-Earth...

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 10:04:09 PM »
Rymond the Breelander becomes the last of the heroes to join the crew of the Glaurung.  A bit of a conversion - something I'm not very good at.

You can read all about Rymond on my blog: http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/rymond-breelander-joins-glaurung.html

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The Glaurung Campaign - Rymond the Breelander (Joins the Crew)
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 11:37:50 PM »
No good at? Looks just fine to me!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 08:28:57 AM »
I agree - nice conversion and painting.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 02:21:28 PM »
Another great addition. I really like your Background stories (don't I say that evrytime?) - though dwarves don't teach their language to outsider... (ha, Tolkien geeking again - I love it). This is a great rpg-like background and I enjoy the feeling that your heroes are all individuals with their own identity. Well done.

As to the conversion: better than anything have ever done.  :)