Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:23:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: NON-PJ view of LOTR forces  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
NON-PJ view of LOTR forces
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
Not a huge fan of Peter Jackson version of the LOTR (Book) world (great move, good but flawed adaptation of the book, IMO,) armies/forces/"nations-races-species" so i was wondering if have armies specifically representing the various sides in the LOTR world (First Age, Second Age, Third Age, or even projections for the Fourth Age - and pictures always welcome,) using older or newer figures from different manufacturers than the ones designed to reflect the movie world.

I no longer do since I, (always have to be slightly different,) moved my fantasy games to my own world setting but back in the day I had the Der Kreiegspieler dwarf and Goblin armies representing LOTR based games.

And that suggests another thread but I will post that later.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
Re: NON-PJ view of LOTR forces
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:23 AM »
I have quite a few of the old Harlequin LOTR stuff which I will use. I also have collected some Mithril Warbands which I still need to paint up (Mordor, Gondor, Dol Amroth). Finally there is the Heritage stuff which you can still get but that is based on the 1970's film.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
Have a look through the existing threads on the subject, there has been quite a lot of this discussion recently.
I am sure that what you ask is already there somewhere.
 ;)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »
Have a look through the existing threads on the subject, there has been quite a lot of this discussion recently.
I am sure that what you ask is already there somewhere.
 ;)

Quite probable now that I think about it.

Just never noticed a thread specifically about that.  But I am a fantasy dilettante and go for long stretches not hitting this subforum so I could easily miss them.

When I get a chance I will try a few advanced searches...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
Mithril had some
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:35:51 PM »
I have a small force of dwarves made from a mix of GW and Prince August dwarves.

Offline tradgardmastre

• Librarian
  • Courage is found in unlikely places. J.R.R.Tolkien
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »
Don't forget the glorious figures from Miniature Figurines Mythical Earth figures...
You can see some on my blog -
http://tradgardland.blogspot.co.uk/
You are welcome to visit my Duchy of Tradgardland blog at:
http://tradgardland.blogspot.com/ and my 20th century gaming blog at : http://armyredwhite.blogspot.com/
New interwar imaginations blog at:
http://interbellumimaginations.blogspot.com/

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »
Depending on what you are lloking after regarding scale, proportions (realistic or good old chunky wargame standard).

My whole collection is Middle-earth themed, so I can share my preferences.

- Hobbits: Old Grenadier, Fantasy Warriors line by Mark Copplestone without any doubt. According to Tolkien they do belong to the race of Men so proportions should be the same. Available at Mirlinton. And some GW LotR are not bad either.

- Dwarves: early Red Box Games were perfec both in size and detail, but then Tre Manor decided to make them smaller. Early ones are available from Hasslefree. If you want units, former Vendel ones are quite nice, currently available from Sgt. Major (the range is called "Bloody day"). Some old Nick Lund's Fantasy Warriors are a must. Also, my last discovery, Fire and Ice Miniatures looks promising.

- Orcs: That's a personal choice, but I'd go for Thunderbolt Mountain's. Maybe some Mithril's for variety. Non-lotr from Harlequin Miniatures (currently available from Scotia Grendel) are good if you prefer a old school vibe.

- Gondor: Best thing I've seen to date is eBob dark Ages Normans slightly converted, with cloaks and winged helmets. Mithril's are not bad but different.

- Rohan: Anything viking-like with fine quality would do. I'm getting some Mierce Miniatures (Veterans of Mierce, Duguth Unit) as Helmings for example. Again Mithril is not bad. Tanatus Miniatures has the right vibe but some proportions looks strange.

- grey company: Game Zone Miniature, mounted squires form the Feudals range. They're perfect.

- Elves: I have mixed feelings about those. Thunderbolt Muntain's are too slim and realistic to look good near anything else. Some hand-picked Reaper's, Mithril's and Dark Sword's is my choice here.

That's all for the moment.