Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone able to explain import charges (USA to UK)?  (Read 5562 times)

Offline maxxon

• Mad Scientist
    • Small Cuts
Re: Anyone able to explain import charges (USA to UK)?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 09:22:24 AM »
My comment was in reply to export sales from the UK, not import, where yes, you are liable.

Yes, I was perhaps oversimplifying the issue.

If your seller does not deduct tax for exports, it might be because he is already advertising tax exempt prices for whatever reason. That unfortunately does not mean you don't need to pay taxes on the import.

I don't think anyone is actively defrauding their clients. I've done this and I know how complicated it can be and what hassle the paperwork is. For a small operator doing only very little export it's much easier to simply ring the order up as a local sale even if that means the taxes get paid twice.

Small Cuts - a miniatures webzine - www.smallcuts.net

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 10:41:45 AM »
It's all about "Revenue Enhancement" which wouldn't be always bad if it only paid for (relatively) necessary functions - whatever you want that to mean - but if your pork barrel politicians are even vaguely like our pork barrel politicians...  and I will leave it there to avoid overt politics.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »
This is probably obvious but this applies to Ebay too, doesn't it?

Edit: another joy diminished.

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit: Yes, this may be thread-whatever but it is not that old...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 02:20:47 PM by Conquistador »

Offline Old Guy

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 08:46:03 AM »
Contrary to what someone said before the Royal Mail do not check every parcel, for a start they are not that efficient, and I should know as I own a Post Office.

My own recent experience is that I ordered up a pile of X-Wing stuff as it is not available here in the UK, for whatever reasons, the first parcel was around $100 at least, saved about £20, got through no bother. I quickly ordered another and it got hit, I see the point of the tax, but the £8 handling charge bites, savings this time fell to £4, but I got what I wanted. Almost the same thing happened with my son, I suspect because of the short time between these parcels the second in both cases 'flagged up?'

I sent for another parcel, this time around $30 worth after a fair lapse of time and it got through.

So unless it is a  large box or of a substantial amount you will probably get away with it, but it's simply your donald duck!

My main reason for going to the US was that supply of what I wanted in the UK is terrible, the side benefit is that it is usually cheaper, despite the postage. I used an outfit called Miniature Market and I cannot fault them, quick, reliable service, at least for me.