Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:32:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old West only?  (Read 5012 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Old West only?
« on: March 31, 2014, 07:26:29 PM »
All,
     Question out of idle curiousity.  Every time I start a new project and order figures, rules etc., I hesitate.  I think to myself if I didn't do this new period, I could be buying x,y and z for my Western game.  How many of you play nothing but Old West, and why?

Nick

Offline Gutbukkit

• Mad Scientist
    • Hrafnslith - Dark Age Reenactment
Re: Old West only?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
Yeah, I think the same every time I buy stuff for a different genre. I see something I like buy it then sell it again. It always comes back to my Old West project. I just wish I had the will power to only buy stuff for the Old West.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:01:09 PM »
I built TONNES of 40k stuff, helped run Ammobunker forum and was heavily involved building demo tables for uk gamesday......but by far the easiest pickup game, with simple rules and a hoot a minute is our a Western games.  To be fair though...I wouldn't last a few weeks using canon rules though...much more fun as we've written most of it ourselves.

I also have a hundred weight of unpainted Napoleonics, and I've bought / sold more games than I care to think about!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 08:57:22 PM by Digits »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »
I have a LOT more than just the Old West but I worry that once I've got that lot painted the other stuff might languish - for a long time.  Good thing it will take years to get my Old West stuff painted!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »
I've been slowly developing discipline when it comes to the gaming hobby.  I used to buy tons of stuff for a bunch of "upcoming" projects and theoretical projects etc.  Now I'm pretty good about concentrating on a single project until it's complete...then moving onto another one.  However, once a project is complete it's always up for some add-ons here and there.

This has taken a long time to occur, but has so far been very worthwhile.

As of late:

1) Huge Robotech project in 1/200 which was terminated because Palladium released their entire 1/300 scale project...so I bought in on that and will restart in the new scale.  So that's on hold, and I've sold my spare 1/200 stuff.

2) Old West.  Obviously.  This is 90% done.  Need to finish up my train, train tracks, a couple other buildings and some new fence sections...but it's mostly finished.  Will simply add a few models/terrain to it whenever I feel like it.  I'm to the point where I don't feel that I "need" more stuff constantly.

3) Current: dungeon crawl project.  The dungeon is about 90% done, with miniatures maybe 10% done.  Game: 5% done.

Outside of these projects I really have sold off or gotten rid of most of my extraneous miniatures/terrain etc.  I've been cataloging sites/ranges/miniatures/toys etc. for future projects but unless I stumble upon something rare in a shop I have been dedicating all of my funds/time/attention to a few narrow projects.  In addition to this discipline I've been practicing another: don't built it unless you're going to paint it.  So far, so good.  I build 10-12 miniatures and then paint them...then move on.

Since my gaming friends operate on a "host your game" method that we enjoy, the only exception to this strategy would be if someone say, started hosting a small skirmish game.  I'd consider buying/painting my own warband or such.  I will say that having done 40K (ie. competitive tourney buying/building), and scatter-brained madness...that having large, nice, nearly complete projects is far more satisfying.  I'm not disciplined with many things in my life, but hobbying is a start!  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:15:57 AM »
I also have began to exercise greater self control.  lol

I am currently only buying things for my Old west project (Which was done for several years until someone showed me the 4ground buildings  then a new round of purchasing began  :?) and My Pulp project which is the other true gaming addiction I have.

I have plenty of old projects in various stages of completion and will work on them from time to time but I do not plan any purchases for them (at least not until I finish one of the above projects  o_o) I also have zero plans for starting anything new but...... What was I saying about greater self control.  ;)

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »
I am currently only buying and building for an old west project and am selling off many other minis etc. that I have accumulated over the years as I have decided to rationalize my wargame interests, partly for reasons of space but also because I have moved away from building armies to skirmish gaming with relatively simple rules.
My other current interests are Border Reivers and WWI Wings of War/Glory.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 10:20:26 AM »
I think i have managed to get over the butterfly syndrome , and I am sort of with you here. My Old West is the first and only complete collection I have so i think will always be attached to it from that aspect. I am sure i will add more bits n bobs as i feel the need.

I am doing a distraction in the Sudan at the moment , but that will be very different, and is being built for specific purpose , and could be disposed of at some point , whihc the Old West won't ever be
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
Yes, my Old West collection is the one that will never sell, though others come and go.  It is basically complete, except for a few odds and ends. Maybe some additional figures to represent certain personalities.  Since Black Scorpion seems to have no intention of really expanding the range, I will have to do conversions of the existing models to get what I want.
Yes, I am beating a dead horse on this Black Scorpion issue, but as everyone says, they really are not compatible with any others!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
Unless you count Nueva España (1680 - 1820 North American Spanish Empire, California, New Mexico, some other parts,) as "Old West" this one of the arenas I am slowly exiting from.

Gracias, 

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »
Glenn,
          What made you decide to exit from Old West gaming?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
Glenn,
          What made you decide to exit from Old West gaming?

After much thought, just needed to reduce the clutter in my life and if it wasn't something I would miss deeply ("Core") in my war games then it is going/is already gone.

Core ended up being defined as:

WW1 and Modern Aerial combat (WW2 doesn't make the cut, which surprised me too,) - using Air War 1917/Air War C21 currently.  I will keep [or get if they ever are created,] a few 1/600th aircraft that are my favorite aircraft (Hurricane (and it's stable mate the Spitfire,) P-36, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, B-17, B-26, A-26, B-25.)

Fantasy Mass Battle - Learning Rally 'Round thE King currently.

VSF Mass Battle - Learning Colonial Adventure - Lemuria currently.

VSF Skirmish - Learning IHMN currently.

1680 - 1820 Nueva España Skirmish - dithering between Long Rifle, Matchlocks on the Warpath, and Swordplay, Final Version right now.

SF unit battles - Waiting for 5150 Battalion Commander to arrive in the mail to replace current dissatisfaction

SF Space - learning 5150 Fighter Command and planning on ordering 5150 Star Navy for bigger ship games

SF Skirmish - planning on odering 5150 Star Army to replace Star Guard

I might include Post-Apocalyptic if After the Horsemen fits my non-zombie, non-mutant interest.

I will keep the old Player Characters from my Role/Roll Playing days just because it reminds me of the fun times my wife and I had in our early marriage years.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:56:49 PM by Conquistador »

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:46 PM »
Not sure if Old West would be my only period if I had to choose just one, but it would be close to it as it is good for narrative gaming and story. Unless I applied a wide enough brush for it to include the Texian War and the US-Mexican war.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:14:29 AM »
Not sure if Old West would be my only period if I had to choose just one, but it would be close to it as it is good for narrative gaming and story. Unless I applied a wide enough brush for it to include the Texian War and the US-Mexican war.

Is there a commonly understood and agreed upon time period for "Old West" games?

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »
Is there a commonly understood and agreed upon time period for "Old West" games?

Gracias,

Glenn

I'm not sure that there is, though I think the common assumption seems to be post US Civil War and pre 20th Century.