Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:06:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Dungeons and Dragons Panic of 1980  (Read 7941 times)

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
Re: The Great Dungeons and Dragons Panic of 1980
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 05:50:54 PM »
I did sort of LARP once in high school.  We made foam covered PVC swords and went to a local park and beat he snot out of each other.  I remember the guy who was the wizard throwing colored, streamer covered tennis balls at people yelling "The green ones make you freeze!". So you'd stand there after getting hit by one while people beat you into submission.  " One steamboat...ouch!.. Two steamboat... Hey!....etc... :'(

I was, however able to finally kiss a girl... :o
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
I was lectured about the evils of D&D more than once, mostly by friend's parents.

One of my favorite quotes was when my friend was arguing with his mom (she had opened a bible up and started reading relevant passages) and said "If it was named 'Shirt Tales' you wouldn't have a problem with it!".

Pretty sure she and her husband were busted a few years later for cultivating psychedelic mushrooms ;)

My mom, bless her heart, bought me the Monster Manual for Christmas, and I'm pretty sure she got me the 3rd ed. Cthulhu hardback shortly after. I'm guessing she didn't look inside ;)

When metal music started taking a lot of flak, and I started getting into bands like Ozzy and Mercyful Fate her radar turned on somehow and she brought home a pamphlet from a "Save our kids from Satanism" seminar she attended. I had a LOT of the red flags. For some reason she never pushed me over it though.

Ah, good times :)

Then gang violence showed up (Crips and Bloods) and noone gave a shit about D&D anymore :) lol
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
Then gang violence showed up (Crips and Bloods) and noone gave a shit about D&D anymore :) lol
So very true!

Nothing like a little perspective to help us focus on the truly significant issues, eh? Lord, I miss those seemingly carefree days before crack cocaine showed up.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Paleskin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
Never did me any harm! :)

Rpg,heavy metal music,video nasties......all been blamed for various acts over the years! ::)

Offline Zoggin-eck

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »
Wow, I grew up in the 80's but at the time barely had any idea people thought roleplaying could be evil, perhaps since I grew up in a mostly religionless area (Australia, ha!). I guess I don't know or talk to anyone who follow a religion that typically stands against it or believes in this Satan bloke, come to think of it. Demons, devils and the like were no more real to me than Pokemon are to children today.

Interesting enough article to read now, quaint even.

Actually, I remember a teacher laughing that it used to be seen as villainous. She clearly didn't agree with the idea. Since then, I can think of a single mention of it in recent years (a hilariously outdated flyer in the mail).

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2014, 12:28:02 AM »
Having been President of the Monash Uni RPG club and a Roleplaying Convention, I came up against this more than once. These days, it's just funny to me. Despite being a Deist, I have no issues with faith, I'm even friendly with the local JWs, so I'm happy to explain that what we're doing is "Cops and Robbers" with more rules and dice.

If patiently explaining the hobby doesn't convince people and I feel that they have made their decision long ago and are just looking to confirm it, I can always whip out a Wraith: The Oblivion book and help them feel justified.  lol

Offline jp762

• Scientist
  • Wait a mo! This isn't Motorhead!
    • JP sees lead people....(and then tries to paint them)
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2014, 06:59:22 AM »
I too grew up in the 80's playing D&D and listening to Motorhead and AC/DC mostly bought for me by family members. The entire family was and is Northern Ireland Presbyterian/Methodist and nobody had a problem with it.
My minister once objected to a Motorhead England T-shirt I wore like a second skin but that was the most that was ever said. He found my studying Philosophy as a second subject at university much more objectionable.
Dragons and Lemmy are fine, Socrates, now there is a danger to the youth!

I am now a clinical Psychologist and RPG's are pretty much recognised as being a legitimate theraputic tool.

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »
In the first 90's in Spain we had a crime related to rpg, two guys killed a men in a bus stop, they declared they were testing the combat rules for their own game. Later, forensic doctors declared the leader of the crime was completely nuts in a multiple personality disorder, but on the meantime press went into the guy house, full of weird stuff, esoteric books, lots of knives, ...and rpg rulebooks. So, you can guess how the media had fun with that.
It is nowadays known as "el crimen del rol", an turned into a journalist resource from time to time, associating any kind of weird crime to rpg and videogames as the main source of evil.
If you want to know more search google by "el crimen del rol" or drop this link into google translator http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimen_del_rol

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
Blimey ... to misquote the NRA ... rpgs dont kill people, people kill people. Mind you after three years of playing fourth edition DND my head still spins trying to work out character generation. I mean I might be doing it right but frankly I dont know ... it's enough to make you crazy!  o_o

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2014, 09:16:08 AM »

Priorities sometimes sort themselves out.    :o

Gracias,

Glenn

East Los Angeles born, So Cal Urban/suburban eaised
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!