Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:31:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689659
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modern Era Buildings Wish List  (Read 9960 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Modern Era Buildings Wish List
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »
Ok that is cool.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 04:44:32 PM »
What ^He^ said... thanks for sharing that.  :)

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 07:07:14 PM »
I'd really like to see some form of expandable office block, nothing fancy, but ideally something more modern looking than the 60's style 'Concrete is King' mentality, maybe including some laser cut acrylic for the large expanses of glass modern structures tend to have.

I'd also like to see
suburban American houses (weatherboard/rendered) and modern Japanese houses.
A gas station with a decent sized mini-mart/shop (shop could also be used as a suburban minimart).
Modern private clinic/doctors office
 - Controversial one but essential for ambience and ties in with the modern US suburban houses; kids playground accessories - how many modern housing estates (even in the UK) are built around a bit of parkland? Loads.

An art deco style mansion with walls and gate would make a great villains HQ for Spy-Fi/cops & agents games (NCIS LA, I'm thinking, Beverly Hills mansion esque).

Drive thru restaurant
Big box store with shelving racks

Just a bit of wishlisting, I'll add more later!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »
Corsec Engineering also do a modern petrol station and fast food and convenience store, so that one is sorted.

http://corseceng.com/28mm-modern-terrain/
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:15 PM »
Seems we got the suburban light commercial district covered.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 11:41:45 PM »
An art deco style mansion with walls and gate would make a great villains HQ for Spy-Fi/cops & agents games (NCIS LA, I'm thinking, Beverly Hills mansion esque).

Not Art Deco, but for some reason 1313 Mockingbird Lane sprang to mind.  ;)

Good suggestions though and I agree 'playground' accessories would be common, but unlike most buildings, might be hard to do with laser cut materials. I think playground pieces come with the Bachman 'Plasticville' schoolhouse though.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:04 AM »
Actually, I suspect they would be pretty easy to do in laser cut MDF. Have a look at 4Ground's furniture sets, which, I must say, look truly amazing. 28mm bentwood and violin backed chairs no less! Swings, see-saws, climbing frames etc would be a doddle by comparison.

Norman Bates House would be nice, although I suspect with a bit of work building a tower, Sarissa's ranch house would do the job.

Now I'm seriously tempted to buy that ranch house for another project  but I know I will then re-roof it and interior decorate it.  That's what got me off track for the last LPL build something season. It's all getting uncomfortably close to collecting doll houses. Then I have to worry about my four year old, who, despite having two of her own will undoubtedly cast avaricious eyes on daddy's one.

Offline EdDowgiallo

• Student
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
I'm currently working on the patterns for the floor plans of a 15 story studio apartment building located across the street from Central Park, using the 1908 floor plans.

I've been able to gather up a couple hundred floor plans for apartment buildings located around Manhatten and built in the 1900-1908 time frame.

Does anyone have a source for this kind of information for London, Paris, Berlin, or Moscow?

Speaking of Moscow, can anyone point me to floor plans for the Soviet housing built in Stalingrad/Volgagrad anytime prior to 1942?

Thank you,
Ed

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
Corsec Engineering also do a modern petrol station and fast food and convenience store, so that one is sorted.

http://corseceng.com/28mm-modern-terrain/

Aye and I'm sure they're lovely, but two problems:
1. No pictures of the actual product
2. shipping costs/import duty to the UK to think about :(

Offline EdDowgiallo

• Student
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 01:27:54 AM »
I'll post pictures after I finish the design and create the 1st building.

You'll have to discuss import duties with your MP.   ;)

Ed

Offline EdDowgiallo

• Student
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »
I have found floor plans for the Munsters house and the Addams family house, but fear that purchasing the rights might be prohibitive.

Aurora did a plastic model kit of the Addams family house at the height of the shows popularity in the 1960s.  Episode 1 of Season 1 actually featured a house located at 21 Chester Place in Los Angeles, since demolished.  :-[ 

Ed

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 02:12:17 AM »
Aye and I'm sure they're lovely, but two problems:
1. No pictures of the actual product
2. shipping costs/import duty to the UK to think about :(

1. A quick Google image search shows that they have pictures of a pre-production version of the convenience store being built on their Facebook page. Even if, like me, you aren't a a member of Facebook it is still visible on the front page if you scroll down.

2. Yes, well consider yourself lucky. In Australia, so everything, from just about everywhere comes with a stiff postage charge.  There was a time where some UK companies, Foundry being but one example, would hit their foreign customers unlawfully  with VAT and calculate postage on that.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
I have found floor plans for the Munsters house and the Addams family house, but fear that purchasing the rights might be prohibitive.

Aurora did a plastic model kit of the Addams family house at the height of the shows popularity in the 1960s.  Episode 1 of Season 1 actually featured a house located at 21 Chester Place in Los Angeles, since demolished.  :-[ 

Ed

I suppose the answer would be to make some form of modular design, where the sections are purchased separately, but by choosing the right sections you can build a reasonable facsimile. While I might be tempted to buy one for the hell of it, I wonder how many other people would.

I imagine the '50s - '60s inspired ruins of the Fallout series of games might prove popular though... there's no shortage of projects on the Post-Apocalypse board as proof of that. I've always fancied more realistically sized versions of the 'Plasticville' models myself, both as complete items, or ones I could 'ruinise'.

As for UK customs... I usually get round it by keeping my orders low in price, so instead of ordering everything in a single order, I make several smaller ones. It usually works, except for the nice guys out there who decide to do me a favour and combine my orders to save me some cash on postage... which results in a £10/$16 letter, to tell me I owe as little as £2/$3.50 in duty.

No good deed goes unpunished with the Post Office. ::)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »
What I would really like is street furniture. Park benches, trashcans, busstops, streetlights, hotdog stands, news stands and all the other smallish things that are in the streets.

And bicycles!! lots and lots of them. But that might be because I am from Denmark where everyone cycles everywhere. No streetview is complete without lots of parked bicycles.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
What I would really like is street furniture. Park benches, trashcans, busstops, streetlights, hotdog stands, news stands and all the other smallish things that are in the streets.

And bicycles!! lots and lots of them. But that might be because I am from Denmark where everyone cycles everywhere. No streetview is complete without lots of parked bicycles.

Sounds like my version of hell. Piano wire and caltrops are an effective antidote to cyclists or I understand. ;)

As for street furniture... It's readily available already. Ainsty, amongst others, make a bit and then you have all the model railway companies. Ebay is a good source too. A number of Chinese retailers selling things like benches and railing fences to chain your bikes to.