Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Non-human undeads?  (Read 7307 times)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Re: Non-human undeads?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 04:45:21 AM »
Grenadier made quite a few undead other creatures in the 80s. Orcs, dwarves, wererats, dragonmen, centuars and others. They're nominally 25mm but the dwarves are oversized and a robust 28mm scale. Ral partha made some excellent undead hounds.

Here are two dwarves with an orc (left) from a recent ebay lot.

There is undead minotaur from the Chainmail range which is easy and cheap on ebay as well. More undead hounds too.

Another vote for the mordheim ones, they are really great. Was lucky to grab them from the bits service back in the day just before it went caput (and my patronage of GW products for good with it, so long dudes). I bet they'd cost you dearly on ebay now.

As for putting them in my own fantasy worlds, I like to think anything other than human is far less restless and much more difficult to raise. The necromancer responsible has to be very skilled and dedicated, and the results are usually one-offs or small batches. Otherwise I'd be tempted to make encounter groups of each kind and fall deeper into lead madness.

And in D&D elves and related fey have no souls and so can't be reanimated, and this is a rule easy to import into any other setting, and/or extended to include whatever else you can't be bothered to collect in zombie or skeleton varieties. I'm tempted to say only humans have souls and have a chance at all but I already have a bunch of the above grenadier ones, hence I'm just going with "far less restless" per above.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:49:02 AM by Spooktalker »

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2014, 01:54:33 AM »
Scotia Grendel just released some undead orcs:

http://scotiagrendelnews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/new-undead-orcs.html

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 09:07:28 AM »
Scotia Grendel just released some undead orcs:

http://scotiagrendelnews.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/new-undead-orcs.html

Splendid, thanks!

I wish, more abhuman zombies would be released, but as I intend to use skeletons as well as zeds for PSZ, I can fit some of these in, too  :)

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
<snip>

And in D&D elves and related fey have no souls and so can't be reanimated,<snip>

This an arbitrary rule that each game designer has to decide to follow or not.  Just the differences between resurrection and reincarnation were arbitrary in early FRPGs like OD&D, so too is this statement based a design of the game setting decision that reflects one view of Elves/fey.  There are other views on something like this that are valid in other games.  

I find your decision supporting in the reality aspect of the human-centric variety of undead miniatures on the market for gaming purposes a valid one for your games but it always seemed so arbitrary and limiting as an absolute.  Just as OD&D was "too open" to many war gamers it was so disappointing to see what developed in first through third editions of AD&D as it swung so far into min-max'ing the play of the game for many RP'ers .

In my worlds Elves have souls but they indeed are near impossible to resurrect due to the nature of the Elven soul in the after-life.  Dwarven souls are difficult (not so difficult perhaps) to resurrect for the exact opposite aspect of the nature of their souls.  And any priest/cleric trying to resurrect an "different" race/species of humanoid than there own pretty much has their odds reduced by 50% as a minimum, call it "union Rules" as to why.

Those are really very cool Old School undead non-human figures.

Gracias,

Glenn

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:39:49 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!