Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Using filler to make building walls?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Using filler to make building walls?
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
Having seen this on Captain Blood's sales thread I'm thinking I could probably make something similar myself, but also with lift-off roofs and large enough to move figures inside. I'm fine with structure and framework, but has anyone got any suggestions as to how to make up brickwork and the (plaster?) on the outside of a building?

I'm guessing maybe some sort of filler, spread out for the smooth areas, maybe use greenstuff for brickwork?

Tips or suggestions would be much welcomed!

Cheers
Rob

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Using filler to make building walls?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
To me, that looks like Wills coarse stone (link) for the bricks, and pollyfilla or similar (link) for the adobe.

The main structure (the blank which you dress, if you will) is likely to be foamcore or cork tile.

Of course, there are a lot of ways that you can do something similar.

For example, embossed styrene sheets for the brickwork are usually cheaper and easier to work with. Or, if you are using a foamcore base, you can peel off some of the outer "skin" of card and emboss the core with an old pencil. Or, you can use a product likefoamed pvc (link) for the building, and emboss the surface directly with a pencil.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »
I have done something similar on a few buildings.  Like noted above ...

I used a foamcore base.  Peel off a few bits and pieces of the paper, then simply draw in the bricks with an inkpen.  Then I slap on a thin layer of drywall mud (my house is always in need of drywall repair, so I keep this handy) for a rough texture over the foamboard (and to hide the corners).  Sand lightly.

Took me a while to get the hang of it, but it was a lot cheaper than trying the embossed plastic sheets covered with filler that I initially tried.

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 11:53:22 PM »
I kind of did the same, but instead of carving the block, I just printed the blocks on adhesive paper, stuck to the foam core, painted on the filler and painted like normal for my Chinese walls, see below;

October 2
The latest set of Shang Kong Studios,  the Garden Wall

Here are publicity stills recently released by Shang Kong Studios showing noted actor Nigel Flynn amongst their new back-lot set, the Garden Walls.

Walls made from foam core, matte board, spackle, and printed shingles.

5 straight sections, 1 moon gate, 1 destroyed section and 1 corner.
Straight sections are 8" long.
This was a nice simple quick build for an upcoming climatic ending.
At least I hope it is climatic and not a bore, but I won't know until the dice are tossed now will I.  :D

The tiled top is just tiles printed on cardstock.
The filler gives a nice bit of texture and covers up the edge over the stuck on blocks.
Have fun!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »
I'm in the process of experimenting with this on a couple of mdf Old West buildings (bank and gaol) using sandpaper. I had thought about using plasticard under it at certain points to show the exposed brick but haven't tried it yet.