Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:45:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Has Kickstarter finally hit rock bottom?  (Read 31128 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Has Kickstarter finally hit rock bottom?
« Reply #210 on: July 31, 2014, 11:07:19 AM »
That's an interesting read there Fram.

I think anything work do for love comes at a price, the price being less money (or no money). If you can find work that you love and it pays well, you have found the promised land my friend. I have nothing but admiration for someone who ploughs themselves into something body and soul and takes a risk - sometimes it succeeds, sometimes it doesn't.

One the most rewarding decisions I ever made was to become a professional painter ten years ago and I have never regretted it. However, my income plummeted and it is the wife's wages that keep us afloat. Mine is less than minimum wage and little more than pocket-money. It's why I appreciate the publicity and attention, because there's precious little cash to appreciate!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2014, 06:34:14 AM »
No i think your mostly right, you'll get scammers everywhere. But then again you get fools everywhere too.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »
I reckon we'll get to the stage where there won't be separate computers, TV's and tablets in the home, there's just be screens in several rooms and you will be able to use them for any number of purposes.

Also, some women will be allowed to drive cars.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
Scammers have well and truly moved on airbnb. It's another one of those things that has a temporary cachet of 'responsible' community based yahdeyah. I almost wet myself a while back when some dippy hippy posted on his travel blog that using airbnb was somehow morally superior and a better way of ensuring that locals in developing countries maximised their profits. I must admit, it was fun bursting his balloon by pointing out that.

1) The likely users of airbnb in Brazil were mostly wealthy individuals with a spare investment property to lease out at inflated rates to tourists.

2) The overwhelming majority of hotels, including chain hotels in the country were locally owned and employed a lot more locals than the folk with a spare apartment to rent. People for whom the income was vital not optional

3) Airbnb is now a very, very large company with a listed worth of $10 billion plus and it takes a cut of all rentals. That's money going back to the USA.

4) It allows well off individuals to indulge in the black economy more readily.

5) It's actively undermining jobs in the hospitality industry that thousands of low paid employees rely on,  maids, porters, receptionists, cleaners, etc etc

I do like the fact that the new logo appears to be a stylistic dick and balls. Says it all IMO.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2014, 11:58:38 AM »
Just booked a place with Airbnb, never heard of them before, in Copenhagen.  My fiance said 2x that she was worried with the reservation....  I figured, I paid with my cc, so if there's a problem, I have that to fall back on.  Should I be worried??
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:54 PM »
 Probably not but there was a rash of people booking with Airbnb over the world cup, who had their bookings cancelled at the last minute when the property owners realised just what the market would bear and there have been a number of reported scams as well as the usual property not as described routine.

On the other side of the ledger, there are two outstanding stories of users biting the hand of the property holder. The guy who rented out a New York apartment and staged a bizarre open house orgy. The owner returned unexpectedly and walked in on it. His body corporate tried to evict him and months later he was still getting calls about bizarre sex acts from would be attendees. Then there's the woman in Palm Springs whose tenant failed to pay, ran up massive utilities bills for which she is liable and then proceeded to sue her for defamation. Apparently months later she still can't get him out.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
Probably not but there was a rash of people booking with Airbnb over the world cup, who had their bookings cancelled at the last minute when the property owners realised just what the market would bear and there have been a number of reported scams as well as the usual property not as described routine.

On the other side of the ledger, there are two outstanding stories of users biting the hand of the property holder. The guy who rented out a New York apartment and staged a bizarre open house orgy. The owner returned unexpectedly and walked in on it. His body corporate tried to evict him and months later he was still getting calls about bizarre sex acts from would be attendees. Then there's the woman in Palm Springs whose tenant failed to pay, ran up massive utilities bills for which she is liable and then proceeded to sue her for defamation. Apparently months later she still can't get him out.

Yikes!  Thank god I'm too busy for such nonsense.... :D

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
Also, some women will be allowed to drive cars.

As long as their ankles don't show...

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »
Just booked a place with Airbnb, never heard of them before, in Copenhagen.  My fiance said 2x that she was worried with the reservation....  I figured, I paid with my cc, so if there's a problem, I have that to fall back on.  Should I be worried??

We booked a place in Edinburgh last summer through Airbnb.  I was a bit dubious, but it was a nice place.  Worked out just fine for us.

I expect if you're not trying to get into a place during a big event like the World Cup, you'll be fine.