Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:34:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691082
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bits and parts.  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
Bits and parts.
« on: May 03, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »
Dear LAF'ers, i am partial to bits and totally to bits on parts. Although i am the man who states on a regular basis that he has only two projects, i am in fact close to starting a third one. No surprises here you say. And you are correct. However, this project is set in the near future and concerns (at first) the various travels and exciting happenings of a group of adventureers/military contractors on their missions and assignments. Still no surprises. Indeed.
But this is the near future. Men has finally made the big jump and managed to engage in interstellar spacetravel. But this is no glittzy, swizzing, dazzling....swoo.....? Yeahyeah okay. We get the drift..get on with it. Oh euhh Yes  :?
This is a real future and spacetravel is not glamorous but mostly boring and dangerous. There is no glorious Emperor only a corporate slick suit with a contract that is murder and a paycheck is that is as lousy as.....?....well a paycheck. And your only hope is to survive...just or return in a bodybag 'cause the thought of your body rotting on some forlorn green planet with a purple sky overhead and pink slittering thingies crawling....IEEKK! ..is all that you can stand!
Anyway, still no surprises? Maybe there aren't any?
The team of adventurers consist of five (5) experienced soldiers/mercenaries (think of that iconic movie Predator). So for me tostart to realise this treasure of a project i only need five (5) miniatures. How much of your hard earned money can that cost you? Well, here comes the surpise :-)). So first of all i selected Forgeworld's Elysian's. Very nice, just what i need..tough guys ready to kick ass and take names. But what! The price! Out of this world. Definitely criminal. What are those people thinking. Are thinking at all?
Then there was Infinity. And that was the end of it ;-). No no, seriously. What are those people smoking? Does anyone even buys those miniatures? More then 40 euro for 4 miniatures.
And then i saw the light. Well. No. It was actually the sun going down that shone into my eyes but at that moment i had a splendid idea. Bits 'n parts. And the world will turn.
There's a couple of companies out there that sell various conversion bits and parts. Seperate arms, legs, torsos, heads, guns and lots more. Quite nice and it gives me the opportunity to make my own miniatures. Excellent. Bob's your uncle. No he's not.
But how compatible are those bits 'n part. Can i use heads from one company on a torso from another company? I have selected a few that i consider and would appreciate it if some knowledgable LAF'ers could comment on that. The companies i am considering at the moment are; Mad Robot Miniatures, Victoria miniatures and Max Mini.
Sorry it took a while. Cheers.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: Bits and parts.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 12:10:46 AM »
I feel like there is alot in this post that i would find interesting if i hadn't got a headache trying to read it  :D
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »
I think he was thinking... of smoking. :)

Basic question - are the bits from Mad Robot Miniatures, Victoria Miniatures and Max Mini compatible?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »
And i was under the impression that people on LAF would not shy away from a bit of reading. Or is that the reason why all those hefty rulebooks are being sold in numerous quantties in the second hand section?

But indeed the basic question is; if the conversion bits sold by Mad Robot Miniatures, Victoria Miniatures and Max Mini are compatible. Now that was not to hard wasn't it?-)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:13 AM »
I actually don't own any of them, BUT it stands to reason that if all of them are designed to work as imperial guard components. (and I believe they are) they should well fit together.
Chances are very high that they will need a bit of work to go together perfectly, as such is the nature of kits like these.

The truth of it tough? Looking at the websites you mentioned are still asking pretty high prices for the models they are selling. especially if your ordering bits by the five or so. Still it is cheaper then forgeworld. (not counting shipping you might have from 3 different sources) and you end up with very custom models which is a plus over straight up using brand stuff.

Also the list of companies selling this kind of stuff is a lot longer, I'm sure I will recall more but kromlech is the only one that comes to mind straight away. If your going this route you might as well consider all the options right?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:14:47 AM by YPU »
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »
And i was under the impression that people on LAF would not shy away from a bit of reading. Or is that the reason why all those hefty rulebooks are being sold in numerous quantties in the second hand section?

But indeed the basic question is; if the conversion bits sold by Mad Robot Miniatures, Victoria Miniatures and Max Mini are compatible. Now that was not to hard wasn't it?-)

Nothing wrong with reading, i think it was the spacing that made it hard for me to focus.  all of those companies make parts that fit well with gw miniatures, so I imagine they would fit with each other.

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 03:17:56 PM »
Maxmini Bits are usually on the large Side i.e heroic 28mm.they mix well with Puppets War,Kromlech but not so well with Mad Robot or Victoria Miniatures

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 03:57:02 PM »
I feel like there is alot in this post that i would find interesting if i hadn't got a headache trying to read it  :D

If you are referring to lines between paragraphs, yes.  But that may be his software or the software in his posting online doing that.

Gracias,

Glenn
'
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
Dear LAF'ers, i am partial to bits and totally to bits on parts. Although i am the man who states on a regular basis that he has only two projects, i am in fact close to starting a third one. No surprises here you say. And you are correct. However, this project is set in the near future and concerns (at first) the various travels and exciting happenings of a group of adventureers/military contractors on their missions and assignments. Still no surprises. Indeed.

But this is the near future. Men has finally made the big jump and managed to engage in interstellar spacetravel. But this is no glittzy, swizzing, dazzling....swoo.....? Yeahyeah okay. We get the drift..get on with it. Oh euhh Yes  :?

This is a real future and spacetravel is not glamorous but mostly boring and dangerous. There is no glorious Emperor only a corporate slick suit with a contract that is murder and a paycheck is that is as lousy as.....?....well a paycheck. And your only hope is to survive...just or return in a bodybag 'cause the thought of your body rotting on some forlorn green planet with a purple sky overhead and pink slittering thingies crawling....IEEKK! ..is all that you can stand!

Anyway, still no surprises? Maybe there aren't any?

The team of adventurers consist of five (5) experienced soldiers/mercenaries (think of that iconic movie Predator). So for me tostart to realise this treasure of a project i only need five (5) miniatures. How much of your hard earned money can that cost you? Well, here comes the surpise :-)).

So first of all i selected Forgeworld's Elysian's. Very nice, just what i need..tough guys ready to kick ass and take names. But what! The price! Out of this world. Definitely criminal. What are those people thinking. Are thinking at all?

Then there was Infinity. And that was the end of it ;-). No no, seriously. What are those people smoking? Does anyone even buys those miniatures? More then 40 euro for 4 miniatures.
And then i saw the light. Well. No. It was actually the sun going down that shone into my eyes but at that moment i had a splendid idea. Bits 'n parts. And the world will turn.

There's a couple of companies out there that sell various conversion bits and parts. Seperate arms, legs, torsos, heads, guns and lots more. Quite nice and it gives me the opportunity to make my own miniatures. Excellent. Bob's your uncle. No he's not.

But how compatible are those bits 'n part. Can i use heads from one company on a torso from another company? I have selected a few that i consider and would appreciate it if some knowledgable LAF'ers could comment on that. The companies i am considering at the moment are; Mad Robot Miniatures, Victoria miniatures and Max Mini.

Sorry it took a while. Cheers.

Hopefully this is better.  Spacing in my best guess (with no proper grammar education.)

Yes he rambles a bit, no stones from this guy in a glass house... and he digresses... less than me though. He wants to make his own miniatures from bits.  Not my cup of tea but an honorable goal.  He wants ideas of who makes bits that might fit together well, (and that is a matter of artistic opinion IMO,) and asked for input.

Wish I could give good advice but I have no idea of what fits his artistic limits.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »
Also the list of companies selling this kind of stuff is a lot longer, I'm sure I will recall more but kromlech is the only one that comes to mind straight away. If your going this route you might as well consider all the options right?
Thanks for that YPU. I have been considering this option for quite some time and have seen many a website of companies that sell bits. But any pointer is much appreciated. The 3 that i mentioned appeal most to my taste. Cheers.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
Maxmini Bits are usually on the large Side i.e heroic 28mm.they mix well with Puppets War,Kromlech but not so well with Mad Robot or Victoria Miniatures
Dear Dr. Falkenhayn, thanks for that sound piece of advice. This is something i can work with. Cheers.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
Yes he rambles a bit.

no stones from this guy in a glass house.

and he digresses.

less than me though.

He wants to make his own miniatures from bits.

Not my cup of tea but an honorable goal.

He wants ideas of who makes bits that might fit together well, (and that is a matter of artistic opinion IMO,) and asked for input.

Wish I could give good advice but I have no idea of what fits his artistic limits.

Gracias,

Glenn

Yes he rambles a bit. Indeed, i do. Did you ever heard 'bout the midnight rambler?

no stones from this guy in a glass house. Have not heard this one before. There's always something you can learn here.  8)

and he digresses. Indeed, i do. It's probably something genetic. Don't worry about it.

less than me though. Good Boy!

He wants to make his own miniatures from bits. You're right.

Not my cup of tea but an honorable goal.  Muchos gracias senior.

He wants ideas of who makes bits that might fit together well, (and that is a matter of artistic opinion IMO,) and asked for input. You're right. Again.

What a lame excuse for an answer. My artistic limits (and i definitely have them) are for me to consider.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:31:01 PM by Legion1963 »

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
Just a curve ball, but instead of making miniatures out of bits, what about taking a look at Hasslefree miniatures modern adventurers and Sci-fi humans?

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
Have you considered mantic corporation marines? I have seen a few people use them as a poor mans elysians.

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »
Just a curve ball, but instead of making miniatures out of bits, what about taking a look at Hasslefree miniatures modern adventurers and Sci-fi humans?
Interesting one this. Oddly enough i am familiar with the range from Hasslefree and quite like them but never realy considered them for this project. Now that's realy very funny. And besides being one of the smaller companies out there (i like to support the smaller ones), i think they are a very decent bunch of people. Cheers.