Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 03:02:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter Wreaks Wild (wip): UD 2/11 Further Adventures of the Caping Crusader  (Read 97605 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Captain B: I'm not sure if this one belongs in Fantasy or in Medieval... It's Dark Ages/Medieval derived but is imagi-nation rather than historical.  As there is no magic or other such dark arts I've plumped for the medieval board ...... Happy to be corrected  :D

CONTENTS

p1 == First look at Bear People
p3 == Second look at Bear People
p3 == Terrain commences
p5 == Custom dice
p10 = Wolves
p10 = Most of terrain complete
p12 = First look at Northern Guard
p14 = Storage & transport boxes
p16 = LEDs for waystation beacon
p18 = First draft of rules [link]

Another winter project that I have on the go, provisionally entitled Wild Winter.  It's sort of a pulp-Arthurian re-imagination of late Dark Ages to Late Medieval history, set 'in the north'.  It is otherwise a fantasy and magic-free zone!

Some might see a cross over with GoT but this isn't the case as these are not Wildlings (nor are they not-Wildlings).  In fact bigger influences are actually the snow-based scenes and pulp-Vikings in movies such as Arthur and The Island At The Top Of The World, plus earlier imaginery and historical influences that predate GoT. (Edited to improve clarity)

I will have two factions.  The pulp-Arthurians - the defenders of the wall and all that is decent (as they see it anyways).  They will be derived from the forthcoming Perry 100 Years War plastics with a bit of WotR throne in. The snow-bound north is not home to them but is a place of duty.

Their adversaries will be the Mathan Sluagh - which, if I have got it right, is Scottish Gaelic meaning Bear People.  A nomadic, bear-hunting tribe that lives in the mountains to the north: they are tenacious, resilient, ferocious and clad in furs and skins. They have limited technical and agricultural resources (there's is a harsh environment) so they raid south for tools, cereals and other useful goods).

I am making the Mathan Sluagh myself, probably as two packs of male and one of female, each with four multipart figures.

I've made headway with the first pack of males, which comprises:
Legs & torso x 4
Arm & weapon sets x 4
Heads x 4
Shields (optional) x 4

I still have quite a lot to do, though the next step will be to release the arms from the wires and re-jig them to ensure that all 4 sets work with the various bodies.  Re-jigging the arms is likely to require padding out of the upper torsos.

Some wip images (some details and refinement to come):

NB: I'm not sure why the lefthand figure is leaning to the left - might be something to do with the iPhone camera lens.

The figures are sized to complement the Perry plastics, shown here with a WotR mini:

I'll be using a 30cm square of 6mm Mdf for each of the terrain tiles, which will involve recycling some of my hitherto abandoned F&IW terrain, which will be winterised.  Items I will use include the mountain:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13980.0

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13328.0

A major contribution to The Wall will be the winterised castle that I am building for my post apoc SSS games:

[url]http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=63155.0[/url

:D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:12:18 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 38
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Wild Winter (wip)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 01:58:16 PM »
Bloody Hell Steve, you are the Man!  I just love all of your projects!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »
Looks great! I'm especially looking forward to seeing those Mathan Sluagh chaps - I presume you'll be casting and selling them as you're talking about pack composition? :D
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:53:31 PM »
I like the background,reminds me of the seal people in that Roman film ,oh what was it the eagle?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
Got two things to say- fantastic work on the sculpts..... :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

The other? Oh, teach me to sculpt!!! Now!!!  :D Seriously, someone teach me some mad skills!!

Darrell.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »
Great idea Steve.More great putty pushing on those torsos.

The island at the top of the world. That takes me back a long time, I went to see that at the cinema. lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 05:39:09 PM »
Fantastic idea and great sculpts. But seriously how do you find the time (and energy) to run so many projects, all to a high standard, at the same time. You are an inspiration to the rest of us.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:55:59 PM »
Excellent mate  :-* ;D :-* ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:28 PM »
This looks pretty promising.

The ones you are sculpting yourself are for general release as well? 'Cause I could see a couple of uses for those.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
Great stuff Steve, but what's with the snow fixation? You live in Essex, so it's not like you live in the frozen North or anything. It's the beards isn't it?

;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 07:23:31 PM »
Thanks folks!

Island At The Top Of The World: I saw it at the cinema as well.  (Nick, was it the source of your VSF obsession?!).  I actually have it on DVD and I shall have to check out The Eagle for inspiration.  :)

Assuming they come out as I want them to, the Mathan Sluagh will go into the store in due course.  So yes, thus the packs (though making them in packs helps me focus on the comparability of the parts, as well as being a more efficient production line).

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
Great stuff Steve, but what's with the snow fixation? You live in Essex, so it's not like you live in the frozen North or anything. It's the beards isn't it?

;)

In Essex a snow fixation is something else.  ;) As for 'wearing a beard'........  :D

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »
WOW Steve!!! You fairly put in the  work on your projects! Between you and me, we must keep the people in the  Kneadite factory in a job!!  ;)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »
I saw Island at the Top of the World at the cinema too, it must be an influence in VSFer's formative years.

No snow or beard fixation though.  lol

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »
Not sure if I missed it, but are you releasing rules as well, or is this the name of your new line of minis?  I was thinking The Eagle myself!  A rag tag group of former Legionnaires against this lot...  epic stuff!