Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:25:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691046
  • Total Topics: 118365
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Some 28mm Naps for Sharp Practice....42nd Highlanders  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Some 28mm Naps for Sharp Practice....42nd Highlanders
« on: May 21, 2014, 09:04:19 PM »
Just completed some 42nd Highlanders for some Sharp Practice fun. They are from a Victrix sprue with the "Rude Highlanders" added for some fun. The main group is 10 strong with a few "Big Men" and Musicians to use as needed.

I've got some Perry 95th Rifles, Victrix British Line and a box of French Infantry lined up.

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
Re: Some 28mm Naps for Sharp Practice....42nd Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »
Great job!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »
Nice brushwork, especially on the kilts. :)
An interesting departure for you from your usual stuff. ???
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »
Great work. I have the same sets waiting paint at the moment.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »
Nice- I love these but I can't do tartan.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:07:57 AM »
Very nice work,
Funnily enough, I've just had my first game of sharp practice at our club tonight,
I don't think I've enjoyed a wargame so much for a long time. The game really flowed after the first couple of "learning" turns.

We'll definitely be playing more and as I played Brits, May now have to get some naughty
Scots after you've inspired me

Regards

Jim
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Hopefully I'll get some paint on my "Rifles" over the weekend.

An interesting departure for you from your usual stuff. ???
I've always had a soft spot for Napoleonics but have always been a little daunted by the "Big Battalion" numbers of minis required by most rule sets. Sharp Practice is ideal as it only involves relatively few minis ( although I really like the Perry french Dragoons.......)

Funnily enough, I've just had my first game of sharp practice at our club tonight,
I don't think I've enjoyed a wargame so much for a long time. The game really flowed after the first couple of "learning" turns.
I haven't had a chance to play a proper game but have done some "dry runs" and agree that the rules look like a lot of fun and are easy to pick up.

Nice- I love these but I can't do tartan.
I admit the tartan put me off a little but a simple "cross" pattern in green (with a highlight at the intersection) and using a fine tipped drawing pen for the black lining made it pretty straightforward.

Regards
PM

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Hopefully I'll get some paint on my "Rifles" over the weekend.
I've always had a soft spot for Napoleonics but have always been a little daunted by the "Big Battalion" numbers of minis required by most rule sets. Sharp Practice is ideal as it only involves relatively few minis ( although I really like the Perry french Dragoons.......)

You can do cavalry in Sharps Practice

Also look at Songs of Drums and SHakos- it's for evenr smaller forces (About 10 minis aside)

I admit the tartan put me off a little but a simple "cross" pattern in green (with a highlight at the intersection) and using a fine tipped drawing pen for the black lining made it pretty straightforward.

That is a good tip- might have to give it a go!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »

I haven't had a chance to play a proper game but have done some "dry runs" and agree that the rules look like a lot of fun and are easy to pick up.

Regards
PM

The cavalry can be alot of fun to play in SP and you only need a unit of two of them. Stick with the rules, they are great and once you get the hang of them you will have plenty of very enjoyable games. To get the most fun the games need to be scenario driven and if you link them together into a campaign... ;D

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »
The cavalry can be alot of fun to play in SP and you only need a unit of two of them.

"Unit of two" or "unit or two?"