Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:54:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Taking a break from the hobby?  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: Taking a break from the hobby?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 08:11:14 AM »
If you feel like you have to get rid of some stuff maybe get rid of a bit of your unpainted lead. Particularly stuff that you can get again easily if you change your mind. I wouldn't sell anything that you have painted or any rare or unusual models as these are the bits that you will most likely regret parting with.

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
If you have the room and dont need the money: DONT SELL ANYTHING! lol

How many people on this board are re-buying figures they had 20 or even 30 years ago! So my mantra is never ever sell anything unless you have to for one of the above reasons. That way even of you take a long break, you will not have to start from scratch and re-buy everything at about 10 times the price you paid for it originally. Two words: Rogue Trader. 'Nuf said.
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 08:57:15 AM »
If you have the room and dont need the money: DONT SELL ANYTHING! lol

How many people on this board are re-buying figures they had 20 or even 30 years ago! So my mantra is never ever sell anything unless you have to for one of the above reasons. That way even of you take a long break, you will not have to start from scratch and re-buy everything at about 10 times the price you paid for it originally. Two words: Rogue Trader. 'Nuf said.

Space and/or cash, that's all there is to it really.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »
Put it away but leave some shiny rule books around as stimulation......
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Never sell anything if you do not have to. That will only lead to heartbreak and misery. And you will end up rebuying everything when you pick the hobby back up.

Even if you end up never picking the hobby back up. The lead mountain will shield you from nuclear radiation when the bombs start falling. And in the post- nuclearapocalypse world you can melt down the lead minis and make bullets to keep the nuclear mutants off you lawn.

Offline Capt. E.W. Brimmage

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 07:09:58 AM »
Sell only if you have to. Best to appraise what you might want later when you engaged. Chances are, 6 months, a year, a few, you'll get back into it. I've taken a couple of long breaks but have come back keen.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 08:17:15 AM »
This thread actually made me look for a mini I sold off a while ago. arkhan the black, GW undead liche. Manage to get one for cheaper than I sold it (although postage then cost me more than the mini lol) still happy it's on its way to me to sit in my lead mountain doing nothing.

Offline AngusPodgorny1969

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
I sold lots of stuff during the nineties when i had a break from the hobby.
Dont do that. You regret it later when you start again. Keep your stuff.
Cheers
Björn

^^^  This.

Many years ago, just after college, I transitioned from board to miniatures gaming. I sold off my board games which I had collected between elementary school and college (circa 1980 to 1988).  A lot of classics were in that collection. Now I have boys of my own who are gamers and I wish I could introduce them to those fine games. I've re-acquired a few but there are far too many MIA.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »
Put it away but leave some shiny rule books around as stimulation......

This is good advice. Rule books are awful for making me buy stuff! Especially the newer books that seem so nicely produced. Heck, even the old DBA book practically made me buy stuff with all the lists!

Shiny books keep me interested though :)
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »
Why not have the best oif both worlds? Pack half of it, sell the other half, then regret what you sold, and also what you kept?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 03:40:44 PM »
If you are possibly keeping the same scale, should you return, be extra careful.

Since I am changing scales (from 25/28/30 mm to 15 and 6 and 3 mm,) where ever possible I find it liberating to unload 25+ mm figures and terrain.  so add scale/size change to finances/space as reasons to sale.  If you think that you might come back to the same scale/size then be very sure about what you sell; it won't be cheaper, as a rule.

Figures are genre/era specific but (most) non-building terrain is generic to be sold last.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 05:39:54 AM »
I find it easy to exchange failed projects or ones that I have lost interest in for the latest (gaming) shiny things and almost never regret it.

Very rarely do I sell anything but, you know, needs must sometimes.

Do what makes you feel good.
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34:18 AM »
I am with most everybody else.
Just store your figures.
A year from now you may want them.
As an example,
I am going back and painting Indian Mutiny figures purchased in 1988.
Am so glad I did not sell them.
Semper Fi, Mac