Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:22:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tribal African Amazons?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
Tribal African Amazons?
« on: June 06, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »
I'm looking to find some good miniatures for a native "amazon" tribe in darkest africa trying to stop adventurers and raiders. I yet give a look to the wargames foundry miniatures and copplestone archers. The obelisk miniatures were my first choice, but these miniature are not available in the online store (I sent a mail for informations, but no reply). I was thinking about some african amazons with greek armors and clothes, just considering some plotting about the amazon fleeing thousand years ago in darkest africa, maybe protecting some mysterious magical or tehcnological artefact. I yet have good ideas about a British Expedition, Italian Blackshirt Raiders and German Afrika Korps Raiders but still have doubts about the amazon tribe, including or not greek mythology, leave them only with native african style... I was considering to include as rulers of the tribe some ancient aliens too mabye some immortal martian amazons fleeing thousand of years ago from dying Mars and try to hide in the darkest africa...  ???

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: Tribal African Amazons?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
Obelisk has closed, I think.

Did you mean that you had looked at the Foundry and Copplestone African women or not?  Those would be my first choice.

As far as Greek-styled Amazons go, there are some available from Foundry (again), Eureka, Shadowforge and Bronze Age, but the most useful for conversion purposes might be the multi-part Wargames Factory plastic Amazons.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 03:01:04 PM »
by the timespan you mention i.e. Interwar and pulp eras, I doubt that you can use the ancient Greek armoured amazons, since even isolated in darkest Africa they might have known the modern weaponry.

A good option should be a mix of suitable  fantasy figures (like nubian warriors, or harem guards) with the new hinterland "askarettes":
 http://hinterlandminiatures.weebly.com/storecart.html
If you want more arab types see brigade games "daughters of the desert" range I think they are still produced

However if you want classical amazons you may find them in the ranges like shadowforge etc and I think there is a whole set of plastic amazons.
Yes! here they are:
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/legacy-of-the-greeks/amazon-warriors
with some more modern Weapons swap here you are!

Obelisk miniatures sold their ranges but I do not know who purchased it, if any.
argsilverson

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:11:01 PM »
There was also a recent kickstarter with some lovely Greek-styled Amazons. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1820979427/wargods-of-olympus-mythology-miniature-battle-game

I'd imagine they'll be coming out for general release in the next couple of months, if you don't mind waiting.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »
There are also the real life 19th century women warriors of Dahomey, available in miniature from Dixon.

Steve63

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
Obelisk miniatures sold their ranges but I do not know who purchased it, if any.
Black Cat Bases
http://blackcatbases.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=437_662&zenid=4a264f3fa073364e937845e951a68daa

There's also Maidenhead Miniatures in Australia
http://members.optushome.com.au/cynan/
Available in Europe from Artemis Black
http://www.artemisblacks.com/maidenhead.shtml
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:39:48 PM by Steve63 »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »
What about the Shadowforge range of Dark Temple Guards?

These are the slingers but there are plenty more.....

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions :)
I didn't know MaidenHead Miniatures have a UK distributor, nice to know ;)
The miniatures from Obelisk are not available in BlackCatBases website :(

I think for now I will order only the copplestone archers, later I will consider some amazons and tribal women from foundry, but I could consider some maidenhead amazons too, few of them could be good for darkest africa (maybe better for lost world adventures).

by the timespan you mention i.e. Interwar and pulp eras, I doubt that you can use the ancient Greek armoured amazons, since even isolated in darkest Africa they might have known the modern weaponry.

You are right, but consider that some tribes in the deep part of africa or other jungles could still not know modern weapons (if I remember well just some years ago it was found a tribe in south america that never saw western guys). In pulp adventures It's common to find lost tribes or civilizations hide in forgotten or inaccessible places of the world. If I will include some aliens (gods for the natives) it will easy explain their isolation. The private british expedition is searching for this forgotten tribes of amazons, while other much less peaceful explorers are doing the same (Germans, italians maybe french too, all the powers that have colonies in Africa).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:34:17 PM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

former user

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
didn't the owner state that he sold the obelisk rights to someone?
I believe he is on the forum, maybe just send him a PM?

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
didn't the owner state that he sold the obelisk rights to someone?
I believe he is on the forum, maybe just send him a PM?

If I can buy some of the obelisk miniatures is better, but I yet sent a mail to the contact mail of the Obelisk website and didn't receive a reply, so I don't want to disturb the owner again (or maybe the mail didn't work?).

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
Don't forget Mirliton's amazons (Grenadier) kind of rough sculpts but very nice faces.
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm-amazons
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++