Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:32:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Greens for the French Foreign Legion in North Africa  (Read 5849 times)

former user

Re: Perry Greens for the French Foreign Legion in North Africa
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
let's not split hairs

colonial helmets and white kepi are similarly ridiculous after 1920, and there are pictures of both, and pictures will rarely be "in action".
Chechia will be similarly stupid...
The few "in action"  pictures I know are always with steel helmet
I have seen many campaign photographs of post WW2 in Indochina where they all wear white kepi and was very surprised.... even from Algeria, so....

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 04:16:05 PM »
The scale mismatch with Artizan is a real problem, but I will have to make it work somehow. My guess is if you keep the figures in separate units they can probably pass on the same table. I really need support weapons more than infantry at this point anyway...

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:42 AM »
Is the scale mismatch with artizan really noticeable?

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 02:28:56 AM »
Is the scale mismatch with artizan really noticeable?

Very much so. Artizan are large, over-sculpted, and bulky. Perry are highly realistic, more slender, and very fine. Two totally different styles.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 05:51:26 AM »
Very much so. Artizan are large, over-sculpted, and bulky. Perry are highly realistic, more slender, and very fine. Two totally different styles.

Chalk and Cheese I'm afraid. As pointed out above, the Perry figures are much more realistic proportionally and have very dynamic posture. Their range will keep growing so if I was given a choice I'd go for the Perry stuff straight away. That's not to take anything away from Mike Owen of Artizan's sculpting- it's great too, I just prefer the Perry dynamics of pose etc.

Darrell.

former user

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
I suggest to wait until they are really out and comparison shots available. We had the same discussion when the italians came out and since then I have seen Perry miniatures matched with Artizan and others too. For that period, there are only four (maybe 20 more)  figures to be matched with, so much ado about nothing.
And if Lon from Brigade Games decides to finally release his sculpts (announced in 2009 or so - Hello Lon, do You read me? now would be the time, Perry's are leading the way  ;)), which are also more realistically sculpted and would fit as the Vichy counterparts excellently, there is even less to "worry"  about.

And @Joroas the couple Old Glory ones and the Renegade legionaires are rather smallish anyway

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
It's a personal thing innit? I love Mike Owen's style of sculpting (Artizan) and I love the Perrys' style of sculpting, but for historical subjects, given the choice, I almost always begin at the Perrys.

As former user says, I'd need to see them side-by-side before I'd make a decision about mixing them. Usually I don't like to, but if both ranges have models I really like I might well buy both and turn a blind eye to any inconsistencies of scale and style.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 10:16:21 AM »
It's a personal thing innit? I love Mike Owen's style of sculpting (Artizan) and I love the Perrys' style of sculpting, but for historical subjects, given the choice, I almost always begin at the Perrys.

Me too. I love mike Owens Italian 28mm and largness and bulkiness (by comparison) has character of it's own. I too love Michael's Italians/Brits and Germans for the War in North Africa, incidentally designed to fit the 1/56 vehicles, therefore short by comparison to Artizan and certainly thinner. Having painted up the mini's for the diorama they used to launch the range at Salute 2013 (see below), I can personally attest to the size differences.

Cheers,
Darrell.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
A blatant excuse to post your pics. Good man, they're superb.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 10:30:33 AM »
A blatant excuse to post your pics. Good man, they're superb.

I couldn't resist  lol.

It was the gentlemanly thing to do  ;) :D

Darrell.

former user

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »
but if both ranges have models I really like I might well buy both and turn a blind eye to any inconsistencies of scale and style.
this!

I have myself miniatures that are very disparate in size and proportions in the same army, but in different units.
It is certainly to be expected that the Perry french will be noticably different, but it is still not said that mixing them in an army will look bad.
This is certainly the case with the italians example I can't recall where I've seen them. o_o

Plus, since the Perry range is always rigid in uniform variation , mixing them with the metal brits and maybe a few italians will boost the ranks anyway.

and on a personal note - I sometimes perceive the difference in sculp between Perry plastics and metals as more annoying than inter-sculptor variation.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
Well look at Gripping Beast. The difference between (what I presume is) the old sculpts and the newer stuff is remarkable. You can see a real evolution in style and form.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
Well look at Gripping Beast. The difference between (what I presume is) the old sculpts and the newer stuff is remarkable. You can see a real evolution in style and form.

Different sculptors over the years... most of the 'Arthurian' stuff was sculpted by Soapy. Earlier Arthurian and 'Dark Ages' stuff by Colin Patten. Mr Patten has done the Shieldwall stuff that Gripping Beast now sell.

Darrell.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
Ah, that explains it.

Offline marcusluis

• Scientist
    • marcos painting blog
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 12:46:22 AM »
My late war germans and americans are all artizan and Black tree and was thinking getting plastics for western desert, if i keep them separate it should be ok.. :?