Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:41:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690878
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warmill's Waste-ation Refuse Unit (Laser cut MDF)  (Read 3060 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
Warmill's Waste-ation Refuse Unit (Laser cut MDF)
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »
I picked up one of these at the weekend from Broadside 2014. It's a sci-fi recycling unit.

It's my first proper laser cut mdf kit, well I don't think the warbases kharzi counts, and it was great fun to make and paint. I kept the paintjob simple,so it was a single sitting from start to finish, although theres pleny of detail which you could paint for days.

It also has a rather nifty plastic sign. Three minor niggles, it's very precisely cut, so there's a perfect fit wwhich becomes a little awkward once you've put paint on it; the partion walls on the front are all two pieces joined together making me wonder why it isn't just 6mm mdf so you don't have to do that; and I'd have liked an option to be able to illuminate the sign. Whinges aside a great little kit and one of many.

They also do a large but well priced satellite dish, which would be just as good for 15 or 20mm, so worth a butchers.

Their site: http://www.warmill.co.uk/Waste-ation_Refuse_Unit/p814918_9824307.aspx
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:07:41 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline Bobble

• Scientist
Re: Warmill's Waste-ation Refuse Unit (Laser cut MDF)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »
Great paint job
Picked up a lot of the Warmill kits last time at Broadside and grabbed another 4 this year (including the sat link kit). I love them,they are brilliantly designed,huge amounts of fun to paint and build and great value for money (IMHO)
Would highly recommend them to anyone and when I do I will point them in the direction of this superbly painted example  :)

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
Looks great Phil.

I'm not really into all the coloured acrylic signage that seems to be around these days but you've done a good job on this piece, I like it.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:10:56 AM »
Thanks. The sign needed a lot of filing to fit one it was time to fit it, so yes maybe the signs are too much.  ::)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 05:49:53 PM »
Very nice. I have their 'Pods' and like them quite a bit, and I've been looking at some of their other stuff.

Looks great Phil.

I'm not really into all the coloured acrylic signage that seems to be around these days but you've done a good job on this piece, I like it.

I agree, I need to experiment with some way to squeegee transparent paint into the etching, or attach an illuminated white plexiglas piece to the back. Bare clear acrylic is hard to read.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:37:05 PM »
... or attach an illuminated white plexiglas piece to the back. Bare clear acrylic is hard to read.

I was thinking of some signs I've seen where the base of the plexiglass is lit from the bottom, through it. Lights up the whole thing.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 10:34:20 PM »
Really nice painting on that Phil. I have been considering getting some stuff for a while from them, to help populate my urban sci fi board. Will have to have another look at them once I have moved . . . . .
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 04:08:40 AM »
They do have some lovely pieces, but you can't hotlink to their photos so it's hard to share them...  ::)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 01:19:49 PM »
Great work Phil! Did you paint it with an airbrush?

As for the pictures from their site...don't they work?:

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
Great work Phil! Did you paint it with an airbrush?

As for the pictures from their site...don't they work?:

Nope it was an undercoat of medium blue, drybrushed with a lighter one and a little bit of dirty wash. A really quick one.

Not sure how you managed that with the picture I couldn't get past them being in a flash display and with no view image option.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »
Nope it was an undercoat of medium blue, drybrushed with a lighter one and a little bit of dirty wash. A really quick one.

Not sure how you managed that with the picture I couldn't get past them being in a flash display and with no view image option.

Wow, I thought you used an airbrush in that one, kudos for the tutorial and great work.

That's strange - I just clicked on the picture, it opened in a pop-up and then I just right-clicked on the pic again and used the "Save Picture as" option.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »
to me this MULE stuff looks like it was made for Judge Dread- perfect. You have done a great job on the trash cans!
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/