Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for beginner airbrush reccomendations (in the USA)  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
Looking for beginner airbrush reccomendations (in the USA)
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:53:31 PM »
Hiya Lead Adventurers!

I've started to see some local folks here do some excellent work with airbrushes.  I've been curious to try learning to use one for some time now, but I think I'm finally ready to invest in one.

Time to learn a new skill!

I'm looking for recommendations for a brand name/model that's a good start - not bottom of the barrel, but I probably don't need a top of the line model, either.

Can you suggest a good place to start/purchase one, maybe even some YouTube videos (or DVD's) that show the basics of miniature painting with an airbrush?

Thanks very much!

-Alex in Alaska

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for beginner airbrush reccomendations (in the USA)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »
In the US, I would order from Dick Blick. http://www.dickblick.com They have the best prices, and great service. My local shop matched them when I got my new airbrush.

For brands, I love my Iwata HP-B+ http://www.dickblick.com/products/iwata-hp-plus-series-airbrushes/

I am on my second one in about 15 years. Fantastic brush, does everything. Very affordable, professional quality.

I use a tank system - I fill a tank, using my Makita compressor in my garage, and then bring the tank in the house. Perfectly quiet, good for about two hours of work. Easy!

Regulator and moisture trap are essential.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline tom_aargau

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »
I got a Badger 150 at the local Michaels craft store when I lived in the states. Easy to use, reliable, spares are easy to get.
Tom
There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today...turn two points to port.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 02:44:05 AM »
I've had consistently excellent service from Chicago Airbrush Supply, and their prices are great — plus, they have regular sales when everything gets even cheaper.

I have a Badger 150 (double action, bottom feed) that has done sterling service for nearly 40 years. More recently, I bought a couple of gravity-feed brushes — a Paasche Talon (double action) and Badger 200GF (single action), both of which are excellent brushes, and a bit easier to keep clean on the run than a bottom-feed brush.

The single-action Badger 200 is probably easier to manage for a beginner, and is capable of nice fine lines as well as broad spray patterns. A double-action brush is going to be more flexible in the long run, but will also have a steeper learning curve.

Offline panzagl

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:41:56 AM »
I wouldn't bother with either a single action or siphon (bottom) feed airbrush- you're eventually going to want a dual-action gravity feed anyway, and anyone who has grown up playing video games or painting miniatures will quickly figure out the movements.  If I had to start again I would start with a cheap dual-action gravity feed like this:
amazon

a moisture filter and a big box store 3 gallon 1.5 hp compressor.  If you keep up with it you can upgrade to a Badger or Iwata airbrush and a silent compressor.  If not the compressor will pay for itself eventually filling tires.

I've started with a badger 200 single-action, then a Harbor Freight double-action, both siphon feeds.  With the siphon feed I've found that I'm constantly worrying about paint consistency and amount. The siphon tube adds a lot of 'lag' to the process- e.g. if you start spraying and think the paint is too thick then there's already a considerable amount of paint pulled up in the brush so if you add water it takes a minute of spraying to get to the thinner paint.  Starting out this has been my biggest hassle, and my next step is a gravity feed in the hope that I can reduce some of the mix-spray-mix-wait cycle.