Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Valor & Steel & Flesh/Rampant Colonialism  (Read 4246 times)

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
Valor & Steel & Flesh/Rampant Colonialism
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:08:15 AM »
Hi all,
I am interested in learning more about 2 VSF/Colonial rule sets that I have seen people here play, Valor & Steel & Flesh and Rampant Colonialism.  I have read the blurbs on the manufacturer's pages, but am still wanting a bit more info and informed opinions.  Here is a wish list of what I'd like to find out:

*  I'd like to know how they handle vehicles and if their method seems simple and not overpowering. 
*  I would also like to know rough sizes of units and number of figs per side, as well as if sufficient rules for heroic individuals are included.
*  Are the rules generic or strictly setting/historical theater based.
*  Can various steam/clockwork/etc devices be invented and easily incorporated in the game?
*  Would these rule sets handle say boarding actions between floatships?
*  In terms of Rampant Colonialism, are the VSF optional rules readily available somewhere on the web?
*  Would it be easy to create new races or beasts and stat them appropriately?

Thanks for any help you can give.

David

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Valor & Steel & Flesh/Rampant Colonialism
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »
Hi all,
I am interested in learning more about 2 VSF/Colonial rule sets that I have seen people here play, Valor & Steel & Flesh and Rampant Colonialism.  I have read the blurbs on the manufacturer's pages, but am still wanting a bit more info and informed opinions.  Here is a wish list of what I'd like to find out:

Here are my thoughts on Valor and Steel and Flesh

*  I'd like to know how they handle vehicles and if their method seems simple and not overpowering. 
Yes, the rules are simple with card based activation. They are borrowed from the Brother against Brother ACW rules set. The vehicles are not overpowering and have plenty of chances to break down or be taken out by infantry.

*  I would also like to know rough sizes of units and number of figs per side, as well as if sufficient rules for heroic individuals are included.
Units are ten figure for infantry and cavalry, you can play with as few as 20-30 perside up to 100 -150 per side plus steam vehicles etc. Hero figures and individuals are included.

Generic although most of the scenarios are set on Mars. The fluff is set around the Great Powers taking the fight back to Mars after War of the Worlds. We are not using any Martians and are setting all of our games on earth.Just ignore the fluff about Mars.*

Can various steam/clockwork/etc devices be invented and easily incorporated in the game?
yes, no problem to add stuff, although there are loads of vehicles, automatons, steam contraptions, float ships, submarines etc already included.

Not included, but should be easy to add in as flight rules are present.

In terms of Rampant Colonialism, are the VSF optional rules readily available somewhere on the web?

Yes.

If you are looking for alternatives you might want to look at Gaslight and its supplements. Most of the games featured here have been played using them.

Thanks for any help you can give.

David

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
I'll try to answer your questions with regards to Rampant Colonialism as best I can. My group uses the modifications I wrote to do VSF battles. They are still a work in progress. The vehicle modifications we use were written by Mr Patrick Smyrl and I believe they were based largely on GASLIGHT and are available here:

http://patrick.smyrl.googlepages.com/home222

RC's vehicle rules are very simplistic. That was one of the major things we changed when making our VSF supplement.

Units can be of any size desired. We tend to play with Regular units being 10 or 12 figures and Irregulars anywhere up to 24 figures. Typically we play with about 50-60 figures on a side and several vehicles each. The rules for Commanders and Heroic Individuals are nicely done with a variety of skills and abilities that can effect the play.

RC covers about a 200 year period with army lists to cover The French Indian Wars to WW1.

*  Can various steam/clockwork/etc devices be invented and easily incorporated in the game?
Another thing we covered in the supplement. If you want something simple and stick to the vehicle rules contained in RC you can make incorporate a VSF theme to them

Sure

*  In terms of Rampant Colonialism, are the VSF optional rules readily available somewhere on the web?
I'd be happy to provide you a copy of what we've done.

Yes

I hope that helps

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »
I figure it's better to ask here than start a different thread;
Where does one buy Rampant Colonialism (In the UK)?
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »
Flagship Games catalogue page is here.

http://www.flagshipgames.com/Catalog.htm

Unfortunately they do not have a European distributor as far as I know but will ship overseas. I just happen to be their printer.

Mike

Offline dusser

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 03:27:53 AM »
Thanks all for your responses, you've been a big help.

One more question though:

*  What would you consider the most unique/interesting feature of each rule set?

Thanks again.
David

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:15:48 AM »
Rampant Colonialism works best when one army tends to have a technological advantage over a more numerous foe. When two equally trained and equipped armies come head to head it gets bloody very quickly. More units are destroyed by gunfire before they are effected by morale loss. Given that I like the way its combat resolution the best of its various portions. Simple and quick without the need to reference more than one simple sheet for ranges.

Offline dusser

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 03:52:39 AM »
Thanks again Skrapwelder!  Please do send me a copy of what you've done to convert Rampant Colonialism to handle VSF elements.  My e-mail is:

dusser@msn.com

By the way, I used to live in Sacramento about 10 years ago.  I didn't have a chance to do much gaming when I lived there, but have seen lots of cool stuff posted on the web from the area since I left.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 05:46:57 AM »
Yeah count me in with that E-mail also, just PVT message it to me I guess.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 05:16:02 PM »
I'd like a copy of your VSF supplement to if that's possible?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 09:01:30 PM »
My pleasure, Gents. I'll do a bit of clean up on them and get them out or post them on a page post-haste

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 08:09:18 PM »
Drop me a pm with an e-mail address and I'll send a copy to whoever wants one. I don't seem to be able to put attachments into a pm

Offline dusser

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »
Thanks Skrapwelder,
You've done a great job, these will be very useful!   :-*

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
thanks dude

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »
Thank you. 8)