Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:13:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What does a Snail look like?  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Bren

• Bookworm
What does a Snail look like?
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:22:43 PM »
 ;)
Not the lettuce munching variety obviously, either before of after you accidently tread on them.

I've been giving some thought to building a Snail for a Boxer company I am planning. The SDRS description sounds like a simple circular hut but I'd be interested to know how people envisage one of these to look. For ease of assembly, I'd thought about building it as a hexagon as I could make a mould and cast the simple rectangular wall sections in resin or get them 3D printed at work. I'm not sure about the roof though; bamboo, thatch, or maybe some scavenged corrugated iron?

My basing is on 25mm round bases so my hex snail would be about 75-80mm AF. I've concocted a plan view on MS Paint. (I know it's crap but I'm not wasting hours on a 3D CAD drawing for you 'orrible lot  ;D )

Thoughts anyone?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
Re: What does a Snail look like?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »
Works for me.  :)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:35 AM »
Excellent Plan  :D

I imagined this as having half a dozen men crouched over inside it, sweating profusely and shouting in unison to coordinate their movement. The outside would be painted to represent a lion dog or similar mythical creature.

Of course you don't have to have actual figures inside, just feet sticking out of the bottom and perhaps a face at the steering slit.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline Tordenskjold

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »
I imagined something like DaVinci's tank, without the guns:

This one is from Black Army Productions.

Offline Bren

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:41:06 AM »
Using the DaVinci tank is a brilliant idea; thanks for the suggestion Tordenskjold, if I don't manage to build one myself, I'll be ordering one of those for sure.

Craig's idea for decoration is inspired; I hadn't given any thought to that at all. Now I'm thinking that the crew could build a dragon or Fu dog, like the ones used in chinese dragon dances, on to the outside to make their snail more fearsome. Time to google fu some cheap plastic ornaments to convert.

I had planned to have a sorcerer amongst the crew to use Zone of Shadows to protect their aproach; perhaps Dragon Breath would be a good investment too.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »
<snip>

I had planned to have a sorcerer amongst the crew to use Zone of Shadows to protect their aproach; perhaps Dragon Breath would be a good investment too.

Innovative Idea!

What is Chinese for , "Advance the flammepanzer"?  (which almost certainly isn't proper German, I suspect, just a 'close enough' WAG)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline chantyam

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
Have you thought of using a model of a Korean Turtle Ship? I've seen various model of them in MDF. card and plastic and own a few of the ACADEMY Educational Kit Solar Powered Turtle Ship's .
Just don't bother with the solar motor bits (which I always break anyway) perhaps replace the oars with wood rods representing the carrying bars and go with Craig's legs carrying Chinese dragon or add two or four small wheels for a pushed cart effect.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:03:59 PM by chantyam »
gan canny kidder!