Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Extra-fine files?  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Extra-fine files?
« on: July 10, 2014, 05:21:01 PM »
I kind of like the look of the new GW files with very fine grit, and I think they might be useful in sculpting; but as with most things GW, I'd like to know if there's a 'generic' equivalent for less cost and better quality. I've had a look at jeweler's files, escapement files, grit size and cut size, but I'm still a little baffled and slightly intimidated by some of the prices I see. Does anyone here know more (i.e. anything) on the subject? Any advice or suggestions?

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
Re: Extra-fine files?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:22 PM »
I bought a set from Galeforce 9 a few years ago that work like a champ, these ones:
Five Piece Diamond Micro Files: Expert (GFT029)
They're very fine & have a good variety of shapes.
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 07:20:44 PM »
I have used a normal nail file in the past, they commonly have one rough and one fine side.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »
I bought a set from Galeforce 9 a few years ago that work like a champ, these ones:
Five Piece Diamond Micro Files: Expert (GFT029)
They're very fine & have a good variety of shapes.
I have also found generics of this set at Harbor Freight in the US.  Was less than $5.00. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
I have also found generics of this set at Harbor Freight in the US.  Was less than $5.00. 
Snitchy sends.

Sometimes it's worth searching the tools sections in hardware stores (Homebase comes to mind for those of us in the UK). i got some 'diamond' fine files from there for next to nothing!

Darrell.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:10:13 PM »
Ta all, though I have a set of cheapo generic diamond files already, and wanted something a little less coarse. In the end I went for a file that cost the same amount as the full file set from GW. ;D One swiss-made, #4 cut (dead smooth), pillar/flat Vallorbe needle file, from Shesto.com. Arrived this morning, and it is pretty smooth and very neat looking. I'll give that a try, and figure out if I should scrape a few more pennies for an accompanying #6 cut.

To be honest the new GW set probably would have suited my purposes nicely - being ocassionally trotted out to file parts of a sculpt flat and smooth - but in the end, although I wanted to, I really couldn't bring myself to give them the money...