Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medieval Rules for Medium Sized Battles Sought  (Read 1512 times)

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
Medieval Rules for Medium Sized Battles Sought
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:18:45 PM »
Hi

let me apologize up front for posing one of those questions…. but I've really racked my brains and would be grateful for some input: I'm starting a new project for El Cid and I'm looking for rules to cover medium-sized battles, that is somewhere in-between large skirmishes (I use Sharp Practice for WotR) and the type of large battles covered by DBA or Hail Caesar. What I want is

- to be able to play narrative, even unbalanced scenarios (like the ones in the books by the Grants), not just one-on-one battles, which includes marching & maneuvering and not just lining up the troops and advancing until the dicing starts
- a clever activation system (no IGO-UGO)
- that they feel right for the early medieval period (I'm not convinced that medieval troops did advance in orderly formations and a straight line of battle like ancients…)
- that a game can be played in less than 3 hours, better 1-2 hours

Any suggestions? So far, Impetus looks interesting, but does it work for scenarios? Hail Caesar also looks interesting but needs too many figures and too much space for my situation (I only have a rather small table). Oh, and I'd like to do it in 15mm, but this is no real concern as I will convert anything when I like it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Shandy

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
Re: Medieval Rules for Medium Sized Battles Sought
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
Oh do I. Try out Dan Merseys 'Scottorum Malleus' rules, if you can get your hands on them. If not, he has a rule set coming out in september called Lion Rampant which should cover what you're seeking fairly well.
The Scottorum Malleus rules are available as a pdf if you ask him nicely, as long as you don't post them anywhere and generally behave like a gentleman about them. They play really well, and works perfectly for 15mm's(that's how I play them, anyways).

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
Scottorum Malleus is a cool set of rules.  I did some test play on them and was sorry to see them not go forward.  You might also look at Chipco's "Days of Knights".  That is a great medium sized game also.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »
Thanks for the hints, Scottorum Malleus does indeed sound interesting. I've heard about Lion Rampant and will keep an eye on it… also, I will contact Mr Mersey about Scottorum Malleus.
Cheers
Shandy

Offline Silverpaint68

• Student
    • Atelier du Mercenaire
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
Hello

I've just found Impetus and I've bough it quikly. I'm registered in official Impetus Forum and I've ask if I can ply in 15 mm with 4 cm bases (1,6") (like DBx, AdG, etc.) for each units. Lorenzo Sartori answers me that I can play with 4 cm based unit and then U=1/2 cm. Terrain size must be 60 cm square (24" x 24" in inches).

By this way, I can try this game and some armies with very few minis.