Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:19:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Great War Painting Club - 100 Miniatures  (Read 219245 times)

former user

Re: The Great War Painting Club - 100 Miniatures
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
Had people kept to the rules and posted one figure per day, rather than posting two, three, five at a time, we would have comfortably finished the club by now, and been able to move onto another one. Instead of which, it is limping oh-so-slowly home, and has almost fizzled out.
Pity.

•   You may post only one miniature each day. And only one, not a few or a lot. We don’t want to get to "game over" too soon. (That said, several shots from different angles are acceptable, of course.)
•   Once entered, you don’t have to post every day. It’s perfectly sufficient to post just one single miniature at all in order to take part in the game and to become a member of our shiny Ancients Painting Club.
•   This is not about showing your collection of already painted stuff, so please do post only newly painted miniatures. We’re not in a hurry, so take your time.
•   If you want to present miniatures which are to be based in groups, it's fine to post them one by one without a finished base. A concluding picture of the final result would be nice, though.

????

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »
Had people kept to the rules and posted one figure per day, rather than posting two, three, five at a time, we would have comfortably finished the club by now, and been able to move onto another one. Instead of which, it is limping oh-so-slowly home, and has almost fizzled out.
Pity...

I suspect that's the Great War board popularity that explain it take longer to reach 100 entries... not so much the number of figures per entry...but, rules are rules and must be followed  ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:41 PM »
Alternatively, Helen, myself, and a few others could end this in a few days (or even hours), but where's the fun in that?

Come on, this is not what LAF is all about...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »
I take the rap for not enforcing the rules tightly. My bad. If people get some kind of kick of thinking they have somehow "beaten the system" I am quite happy to let them live in that little world if it makes them happy.

It's meant to be a bit of fun. No rush, and not worth getting in a tizz over.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2014, 09:33:43 PM »
No, mucker, you ran it according to the ethics of this forum as I've come to know it rather than let tight arses rules constrain creativity. LAF is about fun and frivolity rather than pedantry :)

And Dr The Viking knows that as well as any of us :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 09:35:35 PM by janner »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
WWI is one of those areas I don't have in my collection of unpainted lead. I am enjoying the steady pacing and (to me) new lines of figures.
2024: B: 2220; P: 154; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
To be honest, I am personally quite happy that it has pootled along at a sedate pace.
It has been enjoyable seeing multiple-figure entries too.

I may even get to add an entry before it finishes if I get my arse in gear.
 ::)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »
No, mucker, you ran it according to the ethics of this forum as I've come to know it rather than let tight arses rules constrain creativity. LAF is about fun and frivolity rather than pedantry :)

Afraid I disagree Stephen. The painting club is like a game - a game organised for the amusement and participation of the members. And like all games, the person that creates the game is entitled to set the rules. Others are entitled to join in the game - or not. Or quite free to go off and start a different game of their own.
What we can't do, when freely choosing to play someone else's game, is complain about their rules 'constraining creativity'.

The rules have been flexed in this instance - and that's fair enough. That's Plynkes' choice as board moderator. I can understand people making multiple entries once the precedent has been set. That doesn't make Thorbjorn's observation wrong though.

It's an easy shot to equate 'rules' with 'pedantry'. I'm not sure you would be so happy with this forum if we threw away all the rules and just let nature and creativity take its course...

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2014, 10:32:30 PM »
Alternatively, Helen, myself, and a few others could end this in a few days (or even hours), but where's the fun in that?

Come on, this is not what LAF is all about...

I wish Janner I had the time, but I don't at the moment as you know with the property an all.  I'm trying my best when I can to paint something for my Belgian 1914 project and the painting club has been an inspiration (Thanks to you an all) to motivate instead of pulling thistles out of the field. :-)

All the best,

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline tim in saskatoon

• Mad Scientist
    • Tim's Miniature Wargaming Blog
« Reply #294 on: October 18, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
Oh, go on prof_nexus - put the tankies back up - they were lovely (or if you're very concerned about the rules take a picture of just one and put it up!)

Anyway, here's another mini for the club: Battle Honours British infantryman serving in... well.. places warmer than the western front! I'd originally bought him to serve in Africa, but he may see action in the Miniature Middle East at some point!

Are we at No. 86 then?

former user

« Reply #295 on: October 18, 2014, 11:20:16 PM »
##Redacted##

Apologies for violating the club rules.

there you are, that is where pedantry leads to - is everyone happy now?  >:(

"If you're the kind of person who insists on this or that 'correct' use... abandon your pedantry as I did mine. Dive into the open flowing waters and leave the stagnant canals be... Above all, let there be pleasure!"—Stephen Fry
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:35:02 PM by bedwyr »

Offline prof_nexus

• Student
« Reply #296 on: October 18, 2014, 11:37:39 PM »
Oh, go on prof_nexus - put the tankies back up - they were lovely (or if you're very concerned about the rules take a picture of just one and put it up!)

Anyway, here's another mini for the club: Battle Honours British infantryman serving in... well.. places warmer than the western front! I'd originally bought him to serve in Africa, but he may see action in the Miniature Middle East at some point!

Are we at No. 86 then?

I'll post something later. You're #85.

Offline prof_nexus

• Student
« Reply #297 on: October 19, 2014, 01:49:02 AM »
#86 Great War miniatures German sniper

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures