Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:44:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Keren 1941 at Warlord Games Open Day - July 26th  (Read 6046 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Keren 1941 at Warlord Games Open Day - July 26th
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
Well, Saturday July 26th saw the 2nd Warlord Games Open Day in Nottingham and it was hot!  Definitely the warmest show I've attended - well upstairs in the Marcus Garvey Ballroom, anyway.  The Warlord staff pulled off another interesting event with a handful of selected traders and games in addition to seminars and factory tours (my highlight from last year.)  Sculptors and artists were also out front talking about their work, there was a painting workshop and competition upstairs, and some reenactors knocking around as well (complete with authentic wool uniforms - brave stuff!)  

I confess I hardly got to see the rest of the show this year as I'd volunteered to run my Battle of Keren 1941 set-up as a Bolt Action participation game, so spent almost the entire day within 2 metres of the gaming table.  Having promised to get lots of decent photos, the light levels were pretty rough upstairs, I was run off my feet all day, and my camera kept breaking!  Grr.  But here's some of the photos I did manage, supplemented by some 'studio shots' (at home).

The show was pretty busy from start to near the finish - especially while running a participation game.  I was very pleased to see several families there from my Nottingham Young Gamers project (Warlord had added a junior ticket price this year - thank you, guys) and quickly found myself running games for some familiar faces from school.  Rick Priestley and some other local notables were very generous with their time, especially while answering questions from the next generation of younger gamers - cheers!  

Anyway, on the the game: we were playing Bolt Action with some tweaks and special rules, e.g. extended ranges and a random event table (the roving baboons put in several appearances, causing the leading British units to take a lot of pin markers.)  

It's that damn baboon again, Sarge!

From memory, I think we played three games, firstly an attack to clear Bersaglieri snipers and machine guns from the face of the mountain, followed by two bayonet attacks on Fort Dologorodoc at the top.  The result was historical, a victory for the British in hot and sweaty conditions.  (The actual attack on the Fort took place in 40 degree heat, which made our 28 degree English summer's day look a bit wimpy!)

Men with bayonets scramble across the mountain.  These are some of the Perry metals in shirtsleeves and trousers that I bought to supplement my Desert Rats plastics - lots of nice animation.

Are we nearly there yet, Corp?

The defending Eritreans get ready to...fluff their order test and hide behind the wall.

Visiting gamer Tom Bird reaches the top of the mountain with a bayonet charge.

Mortal combat: the Indians try to break the Eritrean Askaris defending the wall.

Scrivs's Indians surge into the Fort.

Matt Moran ducks as the Wellesley comes past for its bombing run.

As usual, it was fun to talk about the game, and interesting to meet a couple of 'The Friends of General Haig' who were busy running a super 10mm Mons 1914 game downstairs in the foyer.  Apparently they've found a road near them named after Keren (in Worcester, as the Worcestershire Regiment fought at Keren.)  Quite a few photos were taken of the figures (largely from Paul Scrivens-Smith's collection, it must be said) by other gamers working on their own WW2 Africa projects.  

A big thank you to Martin, Fred, James W, Lewis and Pete who helped me run the games and put stuff away, and especially Matt Moran, who helped set up on Fri and clear away on Sat.  

If you're interested in how the terrain was built, the new Wargames Illustrated (322 - August 2014; Great War theme) has an 8-page article about it (it also has another one about the 1914 Mons game I mentioned earlier, well worth a look.)

2" mortar team preparing to give covering fire.

More Perry metals:

Cheers

James

Next stop for the Keren game: Crisis, Antwerp (Nov 1st)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:19:38 PM by James Morris »

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Keren 1941 at Warlord Games Open Day - July 26th
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:42:24 PM »
Very nice! Only part that sucks about being on the other side of the pond is unable to attend those fantastic events!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline scrivs

• Mad Scientist
    • Scrivsland
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:07:43 AM »
Great work James, sorry I could not make it.
Scrivland, my blog of wargaming ramblings: http://scrivsland.blogspot.co.uk/

former user

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:30:40 AM »
oh, I can see who is going to win the prize in Antwerp already!
Are there some overview pictures available?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:07:34 AM »
Anything which can include a baboon and a Vickers Wellesley cannot be less than splendid!  8) 8) 8)

Offline Kane

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »
Next stop for the Keren game: Crisis, Antwerp (Nov 1st)

I'll see you there! And I'd love to test that table in a game! :)
Daaaaaaaaaaaaah !

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:50 PM »
Excellent pictures and a very nice report from the show.
Thank you.
, ,

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »
The whole thing looks spectacular as usual James!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

It sounds like you all had a lot of fun playing the game too which is always great.

Looking forward to the article in WI.

Darrell.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
Great stuff James, as always.
The Baboons seem to be becoming ever more central to the game...
 :)
Sorry I couldn't make it to help out/supply cake.

Are there some overview pictures available?

I expect there are plenty of pictures in the WI article, but there's quite a few shots on Scrivs blog
http://scrivsland.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-battle-of-keren-salute-2014.html
and my blog
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/battle-of-keren-at-salute-2014.html
from when we James took the game to Salute

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 05:52:43 PM »
Great stuff James, as always.
The Baboons seem to be becoming ever more central to the game...
 :)
Sorry I couldn't make it to help out/supply cake.

I expect there are plenty of pictures in the WI article, but there's quite a few shots on Scrivs blog
http://scrivsland.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/the-battle-of-keren-salute-2014.html
and my blog
http://tomstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/battle-of-keren-at-salute-2014.html
from when we James took the game to Salute

Thanks Tom, I've seen both articles on both blogs  8).

I think I read somewhere that the WI article is more focused on the construction of the terrain pieces(?). I could be wrong, it has been known  :).

Darrell.

former user

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:58 PM »
THX, impressive reports!

did You use prefabricated rocks?

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »
Thanks Tom, I've seen both articles on both blogs  8).

I think I read somewhere that the WI article is more focused on the construction of the terrain pieces(?). I could be wrong, it has been known  :).

Darrell.

Yeah, the article in this month's WI is called 'Making a Molehill out of a Mountain', and basically it's all about the construction.  A scenarios & gaming article is planned for later this year; I'm doing a game & photoshoot at WI HQ in August, so there will be lots of in focus pics in proper light!   :)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:28 PM »
I'll see you there! And I'd love to test that table in a game! :)

Drop me a PM, we'll be looking for players. :)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »
THX, impressive reports!

did You use prefabricated rocks?

Cheers!  There are no overview pics this time (see note about breaking camera and poor light levels) but plenty on blogs as highlighted by Tom and Scrivs.

The rocks are vac-formed plastic; Paul at Kallistra produced them for me from my original sculpts.  Basically, I produced some generic sections and he did me 14 plastic sheets of them.  Very lightweight and strong!

former user

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
yes, You made very clever use of them and they look very natural. I instantly tried to figure out what
they were made of but I could only figure it out when I saw the whole picture.
and how clever also to slope them so that they would balance out the inclination of the board!
will they be for sale?