Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:30:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Keren 1941: Perry Sikh & British conversions - Finished 31.5.14  (Read 10712 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
In preparation for the second public outing of our Battle of Keren game at Partizan on June 1st, I've been fiddling around with some Perry plastics to create some more interesting models for vignettes etc.  I've also been robbing some parts from the Valiant Miniatures British Tommies (although allegedly 1/72 scale, they are actually very close to the Perrys' 1/56, I reckon more like 1/60.)

First up are some Sikh stretcher bearers:

Next are some British and Sikh casualties:

The backpacks are the metal Perry ones - these are great, they fit perfectly onto the models and add some nice variety.  The grey heads are Valiant - they actually have a little deeper detail than the Perry ones, and also have hair, so good for a bit of character. You can see this even better in the next pic:

Here's a classic pairing - soldier helping his wounded mate back to the aid post.  One of the running poses and the grenade-throwing arm really lent itself to this:

A pair of Sikhs carrying water to the front line (in the Battle of Keren around a third of the troops had to act as porters just to keep basic supplies going):

My British CO, Capt Michael Osborn, whose West Yorkshires finally took Fort Dologorodoc on 16th March 1941.  Not much of a conversion this, I just wanted a figure who looked like he was pointing out the Italian MG post up the mountain.

And some of his men of the West Yorkshires.  Capt Osborn's eyewitness accout describes how his men wore orange and yellow 'screens' on their backs so as to be visible to their forward observers as they climbed the mountainous Fort Dologorodoc.  (It didn't work, they still got shelled by their own side.)  I've modelled the 'screens' with a bit of greenstuff attached to their backpacks; pretty rough (I hope it'll paint up OK) but probably not much different to the real thing improvised the night before the attack.

A West Yorks Bren team, again with a Valiant head.  I've taken a leaf out of Scrivs' book and am going to prop up the Bren on a rock to fire uphill.

And finally, something unusual: WW2 troops armed with shields.  The Indian engineers at Keren improved shields to combat the menace of Italian 'red devil' grenades being rolled downhill.  5 feet tall and made out of corrugated iron, the shields were apparently very unwieldy and most found use as bivouacs.  But I thought it'd be fun to make a couple in use:

The shields are made from corrugated iron roofing from a model railway stockist, hence the transparency.  Hopefully they'll paint up well!

More pics when I have actually painted them...

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:13:59 PM by James Morris »

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
Re: Keren 1941: Perry Sikh & British conversions WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »
Excellent stuff! :) Posts like this is why I love this forum. I'd never heard of these shields. :)

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:23:05 AM »
Fantastic stuff, looking forward to seeing it again at Partizan, it will undoubtedly look even better when not consumed by the vastness of Excel, where it was very imposing just the same.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*Nice conversions and some good ideas for me to borrow!  :D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 10:44:55 PM »
These are friggin' awesome...my only FOW army I ever did was British/Indian...lovely work here!  Please do post more.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:03:04 AM »
Looks fun.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 10:31:52 PM »
Some very nice conversions
Keep up the inspiring work.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 05:16:20 AM »
Nice conversions!
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 06:05:35 AM »
Cool! Very characterful! :o 8) 8)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »
very exciting project- you have me interested.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Have painted and based the Sikhs, here they are. 

Water carriers:

Chaps with mad anti-grenade shields.  I suspect the man with the Thompson AND shield is just wishful thinking but he looks cool.

Now I've made these I'll have to think of some rules for them.

The shields are black with a drybrush of gunmetal, a chestnut wash and a little dusty drybrushing.  I think they look OK. 

Sikh casualty:

And finally, the stretcher bearers:

As I'm on holiday next week I'm hoping to get the rest done in time for Partizan on June 1st - do drop by and say hello if you're there. 

Cheers

James

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
all lovely stuff.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wonderful and inspirational work, James. So inspirational in fact that I shall probably nick a couple of your ideas for my own Perry plastics  lol

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
That stuff looks great!  I have a mess to base up and your have inspired me!
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline moonshado

• Mad Scientist
Those conversions looked good in the raw, they have painted up even better. Very, Very Nice.