Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial Adventures Fortunes won and lost  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Colonial Adventures Fortunes won and lost
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:33:27 PM »
Anyone played these rules Colonial Adventures Fortunes won and lost 2nd ed. by 2 Hour Wargames? They certainly look good from what I can tell... Also I am looking for rule suggestions for a set of rules to play French Foreign legion in North Africa. Ideally I want something that feels historically accurate but that is at the same time is fast paced and characterful. 

Offline Buff Orpington

• Assistant
Re: Colonial Adventures Fortunes won and lost
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
I've played several other THW sets and the core mechanics are similar. I've got CA and the force lists look very good. I'll be using it to play a Spanish force. Additional lists are free online. You can try the free rulesets (Chain Reaction & Swordplay) to see how you like them. They don't suit people who like to see every different type of rifle etc. in fine detail.

former user

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »
rules to play French Foreign legion in North Africa.

the famous Legion Etrangere - active in supressing North African independence from 1831 to 1963

any specific period You have in mind?

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:34:15 PM »
Yes former user that would be correct. The legion of typically Beau Geste fame. Ideally thinking of doing the famous Legion Etrangere from 1854/5 to 1906 and or just pre-WWI.  More specifically the French conquest of Algeria 1830 to 1847. So those most certainly active in as you say suppressing North African independence. Adversaries would therefore include Berbers and the infamous Tuareg - Arabic styled minis then doubling up to also be used for wargaming the Arab Revolt of WWI. I am surprised how little is available, information wise and historically speaking, for the FFL in North Africa and how few seem to wargame the period. I have found http://monlegionnaire.wordpress.com to be the most helpful resource.

At any rate I have started a fort and hope to design a few scenarios for a mini campaign of sorts. Have played a few games just using Setting the East Ablaze - which gave at least fast enjoyable games but ideally like something more specific to the Legion.

Thank you Buff for your helpful overview I have read a few of their rule sets but never actually played them I will give it a bash.