Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:50:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of Exeter 1483 - updated 19/08/2014  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
The Battle of Exeter 1483 - updated 19/08/2014
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »
Hello folks, I have updated my blog with my late War of the Roses project, all about the rebellion of the Duke of Buckingham in 1483.

As my blog suggests I hope to take some updated pictures of my recent painting work.

You can go to my blog here - http://jerseyprivateer2.blogspot.com/?m=0

I will also keep this thread updated as progress continues.

Many thanks

Richard
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:25:39 PM by Orlock »

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: The Battle of Exeter 1483
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:20:53 AM »
You had me at '1483'.  :D

Interesting project and I look forward to seeing where you go with it.  :)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »
That's a great project.  What figures will you use for the French contingent? 

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »
For the French I am using the mercenaries set from Perry miniatures. I have some of the metal halberds and brass pikes to assist in making the Foreign troops look more continental. I may do a little work on the pikemen to give them a Swiss flavour in French service.

I will be taking some pictures this weekend of all the work I have done to date. I will let you know once the pictures are up.

Terrain wise my friend and I are looking at constructing part of medieval Exeter, in particular a bridge which forded the river Ex and had a church built upon it. This would create a dynamic backdrop to the game. This is still some time away.

Regards,

Richard

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »
I know Cornish rebels in the 1490s used scaling ladders and burnt a gate down (I think it was the East one?), so I imagine that they were able to cross the Exe somewhere upstream. Admittedly Exe Island and the river would make an impressive piece of terrain for a game though.

:)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
This might be useful: http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/exebridge.php if the OP has not already seen this and this too:http://demolition-exeter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/the-medieval-exe-bridge.html

I have just found the second source, and I really like it.

I would love to see you build a model of the medieval bridge, which would do for a few other periods too, particularly for gaming the 1497 Cornish Rebellion and the Siege of Exeter during the English Civil War.

I will follow this project with great interest :)

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 11:24:25 PM »
The first reference you have a link to, Exeter memories is where I gleaned most of my information from, other than looking at a contemporary map from the 1500's or 1600's.

I had thought about placing the battle away from Exeter as Buckingham and Tudor attempt to meet up to confront the Royal army. To be honest I like the idea of pitching the battle outside of the town. There were very few sieges during the War of the Roses and again this could provide an interesting backdrop to the battle. I have a couple of the Perry Miniature bombards tucked away in their boxes for just such an occasion.

Regards,

Richard

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »
I'm a bit sketchy on the details, but from what I recall Buckingham was initially foiled by flooding on the Severn's flood plains and that his distant relative Humphrey Stafford and others were blocking the crossings near Worcester on behalf of the King.

A change of plan to head South and to link up with Henry Tudor's forces (which in this scenario do land), could really not really take place anywhere but Exeter to my mind, so I think it was a good choice. Certainly there are enough personalities in the area to make for an interesting scenario before you even introduce a 'Royal Army' coming into the area.

If you haven't already read it, The Last White Rose by Desmond Seward, drops a few names for the later rebellions, who would have no doubt got involved in Buckingham's had that actually snowballed. It doesn't cover Buckingham's revolt unfortunately, but is worth a read all the same and does include the Cornish Revolt of 1497 that westwaller mentions, so you can draw some parallels.

As far as Tudor's French troops go, the revolt takes place at a time when the Swiss-trained bandes françaises were being re-deployed to Picardy (where they became later known as the bandes de picardie), or being disbanded. Quite a number were present in Tudor's forces in 1485 and I imagine that even more would be available in 1483, as Charles VIII's regents sought to shed their expense in the immediate aftermath of Louis XI's death in August.

If you'll excuse the blatant self-plugging, I posted on my own blog about them here, which you may, or may not, find helpful.         

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:53:49 PM »
Hi Arlequin

Read your post on your blog site. Excellent reading. As it happens I think I have the balance right for Tudor's army of French mercenaries and Lancastrian sympathisers.

Cheers

Richard

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »
Thanks and glad you enjoyed it.  :)

I have nothing else though, that's my bolt shot... nada...  :(

Looking forwards to reading more though.  ;)

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »
I have updated my blog site with one of the main protagonists - Henry Stafford, the Duke of Buckingham.

You can find the page here - http://jerseyprivateer2.blogspot.com/?m=0

Over the next few days I will be posting more pictures of the work I have completed for this project. I will endeavour to post a couple here too. I just need to sort out where to store them.

Richard

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:28:50 PM by Orlock »

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
Re: The Battle of Exeter 1483 updated 17/08/2014
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
Hi Folks,

I have updated my blog again today with a few pictures of the cavalry I have painted so far. Originally I intended to put on a display game of the Battle of Bosworth Field. I painted up some mounted Men-At-Arms in the treacherous livery of Sir William Stanley.  I have a mind to repaint the lances in a more subdued colour or back to the original wooden colour, which may suit my painting style.

Below is a picture of my most recent horse painting, six scurrours in the livery of the Duke of Buckingham.

[/URL]

http://jerseyprivateer2.blogspot.com/?m=0

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
Treachery is such a strong word, I prefer non-committal.  ;)

With perhaps the exception of Thomas Grey, Marquess of Dorset, the Stanleys are perhaps my favourite personalities of the period*, only winning out because Grey was a 'lover not a fighter', or more correctly mostly a prisoner. Seriously, if RIII thought he was dissolute and depraved, he must have been some guy!

Nice work on the figures.  :)

* Special shout out to 'Wild' Humphrey Kynaston here, who was a bit of a lad too, but nobody outside of Shropshire seems to know of him.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:33:35 PM by Arlequín »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 02:12:09 AM »
I detest the Stanleys.  No sense of honor.  I like my roses WHITE.

Offline Orlock

• Bookworm
    • The White Boar
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 07:41:36 AM »
I am inclined to agree with, Sir William Stanley soon got his just reward when he betrayed Henry VII.