Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Gray Haven project (updated 01-19-2014) more buildings and stuff pg. 4  (Read 15899 times)

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
*** UPDATE!! I've decided to call this the Gray Haven Project, as it will be a progress of all the things I build for my town of Gray Haven. Hopefully this town will be the future site of many zombie, monster and gangfights so I thought it should get a proper name. ***

A while ago <a href="http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=35602.msg417556#msg417556" style="color: #CC0000">I posted this[/url] as a basis for a building. Heres a pic of how its going so far:

More pics and some explanation over at my blog
http://geekinthebasement.blogspot.com/2012/01/modern-building-made-from-dollar-tree.html

Comment and ideas welcome,
Papa Spanky
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:59:07 PM by Papa Spanky »

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: Office building from Dollar Store crate
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 07:22:28 AM »
Looks promising.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
that's rather clever!
show us more!
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:58:12 PM »
Great find. Very skilled conversion too.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 03:11:46 AM »
Thanks fellas. More will come as I finish it. I have a whole town to raise. (and the zombies will raze)

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
Re: The Gray Haven project (updated office building post)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:08:01 PM »
I have a second building almost ready for paint, a warehouse that will be a shipping business.

I haven't decided on a name yet, possibly "Broken Things Shipping" or 'Welos-Yerstuf Shipping". (think about it) Let me know if you have any suggestions.

I re- did the poop roof on the first building, it looks so much better. This building will be the home of Hydrcorp, a fictional corporation, because everytime I finish a detail, two more pop up and demand attention.

I also put in the front door.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 11:59:54 PM by Papa Spanky »

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
Looking good, Papa.

What's the plastic of those crates like to work with? 

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »
I haven't decided on a name yet, possibly "Broken Things Shipping" or 'Welos-Yerstuf Shipping". (think about it) Let me know if you have any suggestions.

How about Fedex?
Covers both those options.

Impressive level of building detail you are going for. Well done.

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »
How about Fedex?
Covers both those options.

lol lol lol

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:38:14 AM »
@ Steve F - Its not too bad, I would not exactly call the sides square, the plastic  tends to warp and bow a bit. It is thin but not to brittle and it cuts and sands nice. I will be using kryolon plastic paint when I paint it, as I'm not sure how it will take regular paint.

A little update on my town-
I added a few cars to populate the streets of Gray Haven.
The regular cars were weathered and sealed with matte clearcoat. For me the matte finish seems to go better with the scale.
The police cars were total repaints with custom rub on star transfers. They say Gray Haven Police, but it didnt photo well. The humvees were just re coated after the star was applied.

Thats all for now,
Papa Spanky
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:00:17 AM by Papa Spanky »

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Gray Haven project (updated 2-7-2012)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »
I like!

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
Re: The Gray Haven project (updated 2-7-2012)
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 05:00:51 AM »
I got a little more work done on my town of Gray Haven in the last few days. This is the first board section; right now three are planned. The base is a 2'x 4' Homasote board. I bought a bunch of it a long time ago when it was dirt cheap. Now that its considered a trendy green material, the cost has risen to the lofty heights of all things green. Bah.

I used 5/16th" rolled cork to make the sidewalks. I experimented a bit with the best way to put in the crack lines.  I tried cutting out individual blocks and giving the edges a slight bevel, vs cutting in the groove with a wood burner. The wood burner is easier, but the individual blocks has the best look. I'm still undecided on which I will use in the other boards.

The roads are drywall compound smoothed over the Homasote in the areas where the roads go. Curbs are thin strips of cork with one edge rounded.

(Stormtroopers keep watch on a traffic stop. These guys will end up as part of my Monster Hunters International squad in the future.)

In these pictures you can see how the buildings fit into their locations and the bases fit nicely against the sidewalk. I will make other "scenery" that will use the same footprint so I can change out buildings, add ruins etc. to keep these boards as universal as possible. I painted and weathered some before I realized I had forgotten drains and sewers.

To remedy that, I made some to be cast and installed at a later time. I guess its good I have construction barriers planned then! Also starring in these pictures is my homemade street light. I'm going to cast the base, I just haven't decided if I should just cast the whole thing or not. It still needs some work, anyhow.

Go build something,

Papa Spanky
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:00:50 AM by Papa Spanky »

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
Re: The Gray Haven project (updated 2-14-2012)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »
Looks great! Very inventive use of materials, with fantastic gaming potential. Love the vehicles.

Glancing at the title, I thought this was going to be a Lord of the Rings "Grey Havens" terrain board.

Offline mpennock

• Scientist
    • Arctic Skunk Shapeways store
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:23:18 PM »
I'm really liking the look of this project. Keep us updated on your progress, please!

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:36:27 AM »
Looks great! Very inventive use of materials, with fantastic gaming potential. Love the vehicles.

Glancing at the title, I thought this was going to be a Lord of the Rings "Grey Havens" terrain board.
Im ashamed to say I had to look it up after your post.