Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My first Perry Brits  (Read 6819 times)

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
My first Perry Brits
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:50:37 AM »
*** Update Dec 12, 2014 ***
Finished the guys earlier this month.   Picture links to a new gallery.

These are my first Perry plastic peninsular brits.   These are the first models I've painted in 10 years.  So I realize artistically they can be improved.  I'm new to historical gaming and want these guys to look somewhat accurate.   Got any suggestions on things I should correct ?

Click the image for larger gallery.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:40:19 AM by RC_Robert »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: My first Perry Brits
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:20:27 AM »
The figures look good, the tufts on the epaulettes should be white, though.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »
The bloke on the right is in a flank company, so he wants, either a green or a white plume.
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:04:11 AM »
nice work there. Well done

Offline TheWeasel

• Bookworm
    • Weasel Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 07:46:48 PM »
Hello there!

Your painting here is quite good!

One or two small historical sticklings would be getting the belt buckles on the bayonet belt done in brass, same as the hat badge, as well as fixing the wings on the flank company figure's shoulder. These would be the same red as the uniform, with white lace outlining (and making the "grid" on it).

Oh. and I love the sideburns on the closest figure (2nd from left)!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
I know nothing about Napoleonic uniforms but based purely on the fact that you haven't painted for 10 years I say 'Bravo'!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline capt.carson

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »
Excellent effort after such an hiatus.

Based only on my recollection of later Brits the haversacks I believe to be of naturally cloth and so a beige colour, and the cartridge box would to be black. You may of course be right with earlier dates though.

Oh and Napoleonics should be metal. ;)
sotb

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »
Looks good to me. I'm painting one of the Wargames Factory AWI Brits in a Pirates of the Caribean scheme...historical painting schemes and myself have never met  :D

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »
Thanks for the help and kind comments everyone.   I'll repaint the plumes, epaulettes and other gear.  For whatever reason I thought the epaulettes were colored the same as the facings.  I wasn't really sure about the light company wings.  I hadn't even thought about plume colors.   For the gear on the back I was just guessing though I remembered seeing someone having a blue canteen somewhere.

How can I tell if one of the figures is a grenadier?  Is there some feature on the uniform that differs from a regular line soldier ?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:30:17 PM »
RC, the fellow with the 'wings' is a flank company bloke, if you want him to be member of the Light Company give him a green plume, Grenadier Company had a white plume. Your Centre Company blokes, 'tufts' on their shoulders, are spot on with their plumes.

Offline Phyllion

• Scientist
    • Diary of a Gaming Magpie
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 06:32:08 AM »
Lovely painting for someone that hasn't raised a brush in 10 years. Bravo!

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 06:01:39 AM »
Thanks Phyllion.

I wish my building skills were as good.  I was painting up my next batch and noticed I had assembled a few with mismatched arms.   They have center company epaulettes on one arm and flank company wings on the other.  Unfortunately I used liquid cement.  I'm not sure if I can easily break the offending arms off.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »
I dont think anyone will notice. I done the same thing and no one said anything. As long as they look as good as your first figures you have nothing to worry about :)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
These are well painted. The light blue canteen is spot on, it would somtimes be adorned with the regimental(? I don't remember) number. Regulation valise/knapsack is most often shown as black, but on prolongued campaign I would expect some to be exchanged for captured ones, and probably also some of civilian origin, so no need to change those.

Lot's of resources to draw on, like for instance:

https://www.google.dk/search?q=british+infantry+peninsular+war&rlz=1C1CHMO_daDK485DK487&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TpP3U8edJ4vU4QSuwID4Ag&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1454&bih=898#imgdii=_

Through smoke and fire and shot and shell,
And to the very walls of hell,
But we shall stand and we shall stay
Over the hills and far away

O'er the hills and o'er the main
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey
Over the hills and far away.

Hurry, get some French Voltigeurs, and play some skirmish!!  :D

My first wargaming love was Airfix 1/72 naps for which I wrote a voluminous set of rules (mid-70s or so), later to be abandoned for other things, but I still retain a French army for my own Warmaster adaption, and have a strong desire to get some Sharpe Practise, Song of Drums and Shakos, and even Flintloque going somewhen soonish.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline RC_Robert

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 05:35:32 AM »
Thanks for the link Argonor.    Lots of good examples for painting inspiration.  I did buy some Victrix 1807 French Infantry plastics as an opponent.  The Victrix French outnumber the Perry British, but as long as the British fire 3 shots a minute I think they will do fine.

On my progress I had to amputate two perfectly good arms to get matching flank company wings.  Luckily 21st century medicine is much improved over 1808 and both arms were replaced.