Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:49:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Our Grandfathers, or Fathers interwar uniforms?  (Read 6351 times)

Offline Katsuhiko JiNNai

• Mastermind
    • My BLOG
Our Grandfathers, or Fathers interwar uniforms?
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
It could be interesting to share our grandfathers or fathers photos with interwar uniforms.
After all they lived during the interwar, and some of them fight during the interwar wars too.

Here my grandfather Tommaso (Thomas) with his italian uniform.
This photo should be from 1926 (my granfather was born in 1908).
My grandfather was a motorized liaison officer for a tank division.
My father said that he should be just a caporal or sergeant, but he is not sure.
He was lucky, because at least he never fight in the IIWW, because as an owner of a big farm he should keep to produce for the war effort.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:22:40 AM by Katsuhiko JiNNai »

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
Re: Our Grandfathers, or Fathers interwar uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »
Nice photo. Unfortunately, for photo purposes, my paternal grandfather served as a boy sailor in WW1, until invalided out with splinter wounds, and an air raid warden in WW2. During the interwar years he was too busy moving to Canada, moving back to Bristol again, getting married and raising a family for military matters. I've got his WW1 sevices medals and his helmet, silver lapel badge, whistle and door plate from his ARP days, but not a single photo.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »
Mine broke his hip as a young man so was unable to serve, plus he was a farmer so he was an essential industry and the wouldn't let him go anyway. He did command the local Home Guard Company but all I have is his Home Guard Manual.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 08:49:41 PM »
EDIT: Whoops, I just remembered this was Interwar and not WWII. My grandfather wasn't in the army until after the war started.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:53:51 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
My paternal grandfather was trained as a flyer when the US joined the Great War and arrived in France only days before the Armistice was signed, so his unit never flew in combat. He remained a Reserve officer in the Army Air Corps until he resigned his commission during the Depression. (His job was in Ohio and his unit was in Virginia, and he couldn't afford the train fare back and forth twice a month, what with a new family and a budding professional practice.)

My father always said Grandfather regretted having to resign - had he stayed in, he would have been too old to fly in WWII, but experienced enough to serve in the command establishment...

Going through boxes a few weeks ago, I unearthed his flying helmet, and the one worn by his younger brother, who also trained for (but missed) the Great War.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Online cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »
My grandfather was a professional officer in the Red Army. Artilleryman, commander of the anti-tank battery.
He served near Chita in Siberia. Went to the front in 1942. Had fought at Stalingrad. Was wounded, was taken prisoner. Died in captivity in 1944.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
EDIT: Whoops, I just remembered this was Interwar and not WWII. My grandfather wasn't in the army until after the war started.

I do not think it would be a big deal to include those who served in WWII as well. After all there will be those who served in both eras too and I do not see much point in having a thread here and on that board as well.

:)

I am struggling to locate the photos of my relatives who served in the Lincolnshire Regiment between the wars.  :? 

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 02:12:13 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of my grandfather when he served in China before Worl War Two. He served on the USS Luzon a Yangtze River patrol vessel. Not too surprisingly his favorite movie was The Sand Pebbles. 

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
I do not think it would be a big deal to include those who served in WWII as well. After all there will be those who served in both eras too and I do not see much point in having a thread here and on that board as well.

:)

I am struggling to locate the photos of my relatives who served in the Lincolnshire Regiment between the wars.  :?  

Okay, to repost my bit from earlier then, here's my granddad home on his first 48-hour leave:

He was in the XII Manitoba Dragoons, first as a motorcycle rider (on dispatches? Not sure) and later on he was a machine gunner on a Staghound armoured car. His company did a lot of forward scouting in France and Germany, but I don't think they had too much action (it being more important to survive and return with info) apart from a few instances of shots being exchanged at long range. There's also a good picture of him in battledress with the usual commonwealth-style beret, but I don't have a copy of that one.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:04:09 PM by FramFramson »

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
Not exactly interwar, but early war ...

Dutch Army medical troops, Amsterdam (1939 or 1940).

The above photo is actually a close-up from this one:

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:20 PM »
My grandfather. Foto 1944. He is deiver truk. ( fuel tanker truck ). Begin in 1942 in Stalingrad!