Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:26:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Interwar Russian uniforms?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Blofeld

• Scientist
    • Frontline armchair
Interwar Russian uniforms?
« on: January 30, 2015, 08:46:22 PM »
Would the uniforms that the PSC soviets in summer uniform are wearing be suitable for interwar Soviet uniforms such as those perhaps supplied to the army of the People in a possible VBCW 1938 setting
Thanks
Blofeld

Offline CorvetteK225

• Librarian
Re: Interwar Russian uniforms?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:29:58 PM »
Blofeld,

The uniforms as modeled by PSC are the M35 model gymnasterka. As can be concluded by the name, was first introduced in 1935. This is evidenced by the stand and fall collars. In 1943, the Red Army introduced the stand collar and shoulder boards with the M43.

David

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:50:43 PM »
Cuprum will no doubt be along later to give more detailed information (and point out my errors lol), but the basics of interwar uniforms are that they are quite close to RCW/WWI era-uniforms except they have a turned-down collar and enlisted ranks should have the side cap, and not the earlier peaked cap. Epaulettes/shoulder boards still do not reappear in the Russian army until WWII and the only rank indication is collar tabs, though officers have sleeve insignia as well.

Insignia colours for service branch do match WWII and infantry uniforms are the WWII mustard khaki in overall colour (with high degrees of variation due to a large variety of origins). There's a lot of colour variation in officers and other service branches. For instance, infantry officers often have the wider deep blue riding trousers, armoured troops have a kind of pale blue-purple grey uniform, etc. Politruks have the deep blue pants of officers, but would wear black leather coats. Hats and hat bands for officers also have a large number of colours.

Also note that there are technically no "officers". At this stage, Russian ranks still retained a purely functional meaning "platoon commander" and not "lieutenant" or poruchik/sub-poruchik.

Here are some interwar Russians I did, mostly using Copplestone's RCW soviets as a base (they have the standing collars, but it's hard to tell, so I just fudged it) with West Wind side cap heads for the infantry (note how much my khaki varies):

(left to right: Infantryman, medic, platoon commander, infantry scout (with non-standard hat), infantryman)

(left to right: deliberately ambiguous figure who could be a lower-ranking officer or a uniformed civil official, WWII infantryman (I needed filler and he was the only one that worked), infantryman)

And some "characters"

(left to right: Politruk, civilian, hero, captain of armoured forces (with non-standard coat and boots), aircraft mechanic)

No doubt there are errors and shortcuts, but this gives you a very general idea.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:52:11 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:26:15 AM »
I believe company B does a Russo-Finnish winter war line that might match what you are looking for.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:26:56 AM »
Hello Blofeld.

In 1937, in the Red Army was introduced uniform, which was used in the initial period of the Second World War.
If you are interested in any details on specific combat arms and units - ask. Here such was Russian infantryman in 1937 - 1941:

http://siberia-miniatures.ru/forum/showthread.php?fid=13&tid=169

Helmets may be other - the earliest samples, instead of shoes with windings often wore boots.

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 05:50:23 PM »

The Finnish company

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:05:11 PM »