Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Legends of the High Seas  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Furstenburg

• Assistant
Legends of the High Seas
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »
Hi people, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of this book is still available anywhere? I've the legend of the old west book and it's a great system for small scale skirmish. friends of mine are talking about piratical adventures but I can't find a copy anywhere!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Legends of the High Seas
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:11:24 PM »
I might have a duplicate on this one.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »
There are pdf versions of the rules available from less *cough* reputable torrent sites with a swashbuckling name  ;)
However the rules are now out of print and the books go for a small fortune on evil bay .

A few of us at our club are discussing switching to the new Osprey pirate rules "On the Seven Seas" because it is a rule set in print and available to new players and likely to be supported in the future with supplements/expansions while unfortunately LOTHS has gone the way of the Dodo

Cheers
Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »
As long as you don't really need the ship rules (and TBH, I'm not sure they're that good anyway), then it is basically "Legends of the Old West"[1] with nautical weapons and profiles (in fact characters and weapons are portable between the two settings -- some of the prices vary to represent the scarcity, but the effects are the same).

And you can get a lot of that data from summary lists.

I do faintly recall some mention that Mr Kulinski was writing a new set of Piracy rules but sadly I can't remember where I read this or who the potential publisher was supposed to be.

[1] Which in turn is basically "Lord of the Rings" with some extra shooting rules.

Offline Furstenburg

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
Thanks people. I may have *cough* already tried less reputable sources due to growing desperation but no joy. I think I'll have a look at the new Osprey system as it would appear from reviews to be along the same lines and only came out this month. The PDF is a reasonable price too.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »
Thanks people. I may have *cough* already tried less reputable sources due to growing desperation but no joy. I think I'll have a look at the new Osprey system as it would appear from reviews to be along the same lines and only came out this month. The PDF is a reasonable price too.

It may be a better option, looks similar from what I have seen ship wise size of crews etc, plus it will no doubt get support being a new game. Though there is a yahoo group with bits on it for LOTHS

Offline Van-Helsing

• Mastermind
  • (A.K.A. Doctor Warlock)
    • Nexus Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
There are pdf versions of the rules available from less *cough* reputable torrent sites with a swashbuckling name  ;)

I've looked and never found it, I like having PDF versions of rules where the books are hard to replace.

A few of us at our club are discussing switching to the new Osprey pirate rules "On the Seven Seas" because it is a rule set in print and available to new players and likely to be supported in the future with supplements/expansions

To be worthwhile and playable, OT7S needs a LOT of Supplements and Expansions - its weak Tea dude, really poor. (I wrote a mini-expansion for IHMN which my group will be using)

while unfortunately LOTHS has gone the way of the Dodo

A great shame, its a good set of very playable rules - I foolishly sold mine, but got lucky and replaced it through an LA member :D

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind" ~ H. P. Lovecraft

https://www.facebook.com/nexus.miniatures

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
There are several listed on EbayUK at present and the list prices are not high, one starting at 99p and another for £7.00.

Alternatively post a wanted ad in the bazaar here, I am sure you will find someone who wants to sell one.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing