Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:53:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Storage and Transport question  (Read 4256 times)

Offline loki77

• Student
Storage and Transport question
« on: September 19, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
Im sure this has come up many times before but the search function has failed me and scanning through old posts i have not found what i am looking for?
This question has also been asked on the TMP forums

Embarking on my first ECW project, 2 x Warlord Battalia starter sets.
I usually game in 15mm and then its usually WW2.
When starting out on this project i had put no thought into the storage of these 28mm Pikemen.
Like most i have very limited storage space so i was just wondering about peoples preferred ways of storing and transporting?
Cheers

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
Re: Storage and Transport question
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
magnets. You need rather strong ones, otherwise if a single figure detaches, it will cause a domino effect. That happened to me, that's quite... unpleasing. :D

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 02:59:09 PM »
Pikemen are a pain in the bum because of their weapon height, they tend not to fit into trusty file boxes. It will largely depend on how you base them of course, and how you transport them - the boot of a car being easier than by bus, but when I transport my figures (based multiply, 6 to a base) I tend to use old cardboard vegetable boxes from the supermarket, you know,the kind they ship punnets of tomatoes in. They come in various depths, they are made to stack safely, they are strong, and free. Storage at home is not a problem for me because I'm lucky and have a large gaming room with cabinets. These boxes fit nicely under beds - my young son uses them for board game, jigsaw, dress up, etc., storage.

Not pike, but you get the idea, and stacking is easier if the boxes are all the same (unlike these)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:58:02 PM by olicana »

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:33:34 PM »
We store a lot of figures in clear plastic boxes made for papercrafting.
Most are paper sized (A4, A5, A6) but we find envelope sized boxes work better (and are cheaper) eg DL.
For 15mm they do a shallow box called a peel-off box, works nicely for 15mm infantry.
Not tall enough for pikes - we found that they are not tall enough for standard bearers - but by glueing clear plastic inside the box bottom (usually recycled stuff cut from old blisters etc) you can extend the height.
Really Useful do some that are already tall enough, stack easily, but are more expensive.

I suppose it all depends how many you need.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Timmo

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 08:04:56 PM »
All mine are based on thin steel from PWS. I break up my units for storage so all musketeers are in file boxes. I have two metal cases that are sold in hardwear shops for power tools. These are about 5" deep and are perfect. I have two and my command groups are also in there. The boxes are lined with magnetic material.

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
When I was wondering about 28mm Macedonian pike blocks I decided that these:

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/epages/950003459.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/950003459/Categories/Figure_Storage_Chests

would be the way to go!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
Reinforced shoe boxes or something similar work fairly well. only trouble is you cannot stack a lot of them.

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »
I second magnets, number of ways of doing it but for 28mm I put magnets on the bases and move them in metal trays or boxes, and drive as if I've got babies sleeping on eggs.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 03:44:56 PM by 6milPhil »

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
I use the plastic "Really Useful Boxes" which are available from a number of stationary sellers, hobbycraft, etc.

They are clear plastic so you can see what's inside, stackable so good for keeping in the cupboard, clip top lids that don't "ping" open and come in a variety of sizes and heights.

They're not the cheapest. But then again , having lavished time and money on your figs you want to ensure they stay in good condition. Friends of mine add steel paper and magnetised bases, but I find they do the job well enough without if the box is full.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
I've got a Feldherr transport bag with foam inserts for my 28mm figs & scenery as well as a K&R cardboard box for my 15mm WW2 stuff.
Also another vote for Really Useful Boxes. Damn good stuff. if you look around you might find discount sales from time to time. (Makro often has a 2+1 free sale here in Belgium)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:15 PM »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
I use the plastic "Really Useful Boxes" which are available from a number of stationary sellers, hobbycraft, etc.

I use those for scenics and vehicles.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 10:29:08 PM »
Useful Boxes are ace for home storage but in a car the one time I put the box on a seat my amazon army jumped around like bunnies and two hands broke off  :'(

When held by my passenger no disturbance occured. I have already based the figures so not sure how I could magnetize them now ... saving up for a KR case.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 09:09:40 AM »
I put magnetic strip under the bases and line all my storage boxes with steel paper. In some cases I also stuff the area above the figures with bubble wrap.

As above, Pikemen are a pain. If they won't fit in normal A4 boxfiles, then a deeper Really Useful Box is the way to go. Lined with steel paper, as above.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:17 AM »
Has anyone had problems with foam deteriorating?
I had some foam from an unidentified supplier which worked well on the whole, but I noticed it had started to crumble and was starting to adhere to the models, thankfully caught in time before it damaged any model - anyone had a similar experience?

I love wooden boxes, and have 3 old toolboxes which even my wife accepts as show pieces. These are however hard to get (again, I was lucky) and are not ideal for transport, as they are heavy and do not retain the models in place (barring use of magnets).
I also have problems with storage in our damp cellar - it's ok for unpainted plastic models, but little else.