Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Army Painter Washes and Dip  (Read 1363 times)

Offline hearts261

• Assistant
    • Wargaming With Mitten
Army Painter Washes and Dip
« on: September 21, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »
Normally i dip my figures using the dark tone quick shade but lately it's been kind of a hassle. I was wondering if the acrylic dark tone behaved the same way and could be used to achieve similar results? My normal paint method is block paint highlight, then brush on dip and remove the excess with a brush. This is kind of a huge mess though, combined with the long drying times. Any Thoughts?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: Army Painter Washes and Dip
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:08:23 PM »
Normally i dip my figures using the dark tone quick shade but lately it's been kind of a hassle. I was wondering if the acrylic dark tone behaved the same way and could be used to achieve similar results? My normal paint method is block paint highlight, then brush on dip and remove the excess with a brush. This is kind of a huge mess though, combined with the long drying times. Any Thoughts?

I use the dark tone a lot. I really see it as part of making 'a canvas' to paint the rest of the figure on... base colours, dark tone and then start painting.
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Army Painter Washes and Dip
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:42:19 AM »
Normally i dip my figures [...] Any Thoughts?

I think that the tin dip does also go some way to adding protection to the models. If you go with the acrylic stuff instead (the little bottles of wash), you might need to consider adding a gloss varnish step prior to sealing with a matte finish in order to achieve the same level of protection.

Otherwise, I think the washes are superior because they offer you far more control. They are also easy to build up to darker tones if you want, and also to touch up areas if you slop with highlights.

However, you are better building up the effect with washes using successive thin applications to targeted areas. Not glazing, but something akin to it. Although it takes longer than a dip, it is low-effort (in fact, perfect for doing short regular sessions; a coat each evening, and if you start over blocked colour on Monday, you're done including varnishing on Friday!).