Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:16:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690479
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Soviet Japanese Border Wars - Khalkhin Gol etc  (Read 2249 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
Soviet Japanese Border Wars - Khalkhin Gol etc
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:08:37 PM »
Motivated by thoughts of acquiring the new(ish) Panzer Grenadier Deluxe rules, as usual when it comes to my thinking of new projects I don't do anything easy and go for somewhat more obscure bits around conflicts.

To which end, anyone have suggestions of 15mm suitable for the Soviet Japanese border in the 1930s? I'm guessing Early War Russians would be fine, and would probably have to look for Sino-Japanese War figures for Mongolians, Japanese? Not intending on recreating entire battles like Khalkhin Gol, but enough for a decent-sized action with the rules (my knowledge of which beign based largely from the article in MW).

Whilst I'm at it, are there any resources about for P-G Deluxe for Early War French, Dutch, Greek, Italian etc?(There's a theme developing here...)

Cheers
Rob

Offline SBMiniaturesGuy

• Mad Scientist
    • SBMiniguys Blog for all things OstFront
Re: Soviet Japanese Border Wars - Khalkhin Gol etc
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:14:47 PM »
I don't have specific answers to your questions, but there's a very nice free scenario, the Across the Halha River (1939) at the Panzer Korps Yahoo Group in which the Soviet player has to stop an advance by the Japanese 23rd Division.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PANZERKORPHQ/files/Free%20Scenarios/
Play the game, not the players!
http://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
Author for THW/NUTS, Rebel Minis, HR Games

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
You could also do 1945 and the Russian amphibious invasion of the Kurile Islands. Obscure and you get to see Soviets using US landing boats.

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
I started 15mm Japanese as a foil for my early war Soviets. There are a wide range of manufacturers covering a wide range of stuff. There is not really one source for everything (although battlefront have entered the fray since I started). It was fun tracing all the different stuff.

I have an army painters link that will be soon updated, I promise! http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=69613.0

I plan to use them throughout the war as well as there is little uniform change and tank evolution is slow enough to use the Khalkhin Gol tanks much later as well.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
Thanks - I shall have a closer look at that scenario.
I did consider 1945, but I'm more interested in the early war, and in this case the bits just beforehand  :D

Handy to know the uniforms didn't change much - that was going to be my next investigation. I was looking at the Battlefront chaps to see if they would serve. Wondering about the PSC 15mm Russian infantry, I need to find out what they looked like in the late 30s (and, having remembered that it's on, seeing whether any of the traders at Warfare in November will have what I'm looking for!)

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
Japanese uniforms did not change, but early war soviet uniforms are different from late war (so no PSC Russians I am afraid, if you want to have correct uniform). To be brutally honest it appears that a lot of soviet guys were using the panamka and the floppy hats (the same seen in Afghanistan in the eighties) rather than helmets.

The two IJA divisions involved had been recently reorganized and re-equipped so they had top of the line equipment. Thus not everything (in terms of guns and support weapons) FoW offers is correct. If you have specific question on the IJA I am glad to help.

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks, I will probably take you up on that as I get into it!
Whilst it's not a specific question, if do you happen to know of any good uniform resources (or for the Russians as well as the IJA come to that) which you can point me towards 'twould be much appreciated  :D