Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:12:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Tale from the Tin Shed. A 28mm Fokker F vii.Plane from Cereal Packet Card.  (Read 29859 times)

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
Re: A Tale from the Tin Shed. A 28mm Fokker F vii. from Cereal Packet Card.
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »
This!

8)

Time to crack out the Wheat Bix, and say goodbye to porridge I think.

Cheers
matt

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »
As you can see in the pictures the wing is constructed in three sections.Basically two tri angles,and a rectangle.
You'll need six wing profile stiffeners .Four,for the rectangle,and one each for the triangles.Make a template of the shape of the wing profile draw round and cut out six,make them double thickness the same way as the wheels.
find the direction of bend in the card and have this run at 90° to the length of a rectangle of card which is the width of the middle section of the wing.The rectangle will need to be long enough to curve around the wing profile plus a bit more.
Its a good idea to mark out the position of the engine mounts on what will be the underside of the wing ,before construction.
Take four spacers and place them evenly over the width of the card/wing width.ensuring the spacers touch the back edge.Then curve the card over the backs of the spacers to form the top of the wing,and trim to size.
To make the 'triangle' wing tips,Draw a template which has a base edge the length of the entire spacer.You should have a template with a rounded end which looks the same as the wing tip in plan in the drawings.
Find the curve in the card and have it run at 90° to the longest edge.The lead edge of the template/wing should be placed along the 90° line across the card.you should end up with a rectangle of card with the triangle along the long edge.
Now draw round the template again cut it straight down the middle but not to the end leave the full semi circle on the end and the back edge so you end up with a sort of "L" shape.
Now go back to the shape with the rectangle on the side on the back edge cut a flap shape out and put it to one side.Now on the inside glue the L shape to cover over the flap cut out,but not to fill it .
Add the strut to the wing joint end.Then bend the rectangle over the strut and glue to the entire wing section.When dry cut to shape.
Now glue the cut out right hand flap on top of the left hand wing,and visa versa..
Detail as you want.
I think I'll have to add a couple of pictures for the wing tip construction as it sounds complicated but its not.
Mark

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »
Sorry chaps once again I'm one fingered typing whilst everyones posting lol.I've used two cereal boxes to make the whole thing.Its going to be a bit more as I made the wheels and wheel struts,and put them safe.While I did some paid work.Unfortunately a little too safe.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »
Nice one, this is really coming together.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 05:43:14 AM »
Sorry chaps once again I'm one fingered typing whilst everyones posting lol.

It's because we are eager for any scrap of text or image, so when it appears we pounce upon it. ;)

I assume you clamp everything together and glue in stages - is there a particular way to glue the spacers securely? It sounds a little flimsy, and you cannot really use pins or weights at those angles.

Cheers
matt

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 08:14:21 AM »
The model is looking great and I particularly like seeing the work-in-progress shots.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post work-in-progress shots and explanations of the techniques you have used.

I look forward to seeing more.

Tony

PS.
Have you thought of including details of the model on The Aircraft Resource Centre?
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 03:52:21 PM »
 Why ,do you need it to be complicated Matt? lol
I've added a picture of the shape's that make the wing tip's.The arrow's show the direction of the fold/curve.
I used super glue for the whole thing.but you must pre curve the card.As for being flimsy.Its all triangles so its stronger than you think.As the rear edge is three layers thick without looking like it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:00:58 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »
 Thank you Tony,I hadn't thought of posting it any where else.I wouldn't have thought it was their cup of tea.
Its been an organic project,It started life as a comment to another member on a different topic,The wing tip is a good example of just how fluid its been,as the method I've posted is a refinement of the method I actually used as its faster (I did try it out before I posted)
I'm treating the plane as a posh hill,as its to be used as an objective marker.So I doubt that scale modellers will see it as nothing more than a crude pretend plane lol.
When the planes finished,I'm toying with idea of making some small airfield buildings to complete the set.
Mark.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:21:29 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 05:21:53 PM »
I disagree, and would feel confident that ARC would see this as a very valid modelling article showing different skills and materials from the usual plastic kit with resin add-ons.

I will leave it up to you, but just because the forum is mainly resin or plastic kits, does not mean that there are many who would not want to see a model made from cereal card and cocktail sticks. I would!

My father who was a very keen modeller believed that no 'real model' could be made from anything other than Balsawood and Tissue paper. I often wonder what he would have made of some of my constructions.

I continue to follow this thread with interest and you are tempting me to do something similar.

Tony

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 05:56:19 PM »
 Your Dad sounds like a man after my own heart.Theres some thing about making some thing from nothing,and doing with your own hands.
I'll take on board your comments about posting on ARC.
What I was trying to say is I'm a man of champange tastes and shandy money.So daft as it sounds I've never viewed what I make as modelling,as I make them because I can't afford the propper model kit.(serves me right for having so many kids I should have bought a bigger telly lol).
Ego aside I'd really enjoy seening some one else having a crack at it.
Mark

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
I somewhat think the same, :D why spend lots of money when simple materials and a bit of fun gives you something unique? So far my answer is time/detail - but if I can nail detail down, that just leaves time and that may be worth it.

I know looking at my collection so far, I value the pieces more which I have customised excessively or scratch built. My little mdf shops and dust walkers are less inspiring.

Thanks for your efforts Mark, that picture of the wing is worth 1000 words. ;) and thanks for the superglue tip ;)

Cheers
matt

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »
If your going to use super glue the do the pre curving then attatch the double thickness wing spacer,and then the L shape as you'll have to trim the thickness of the double thick spacer off the square end.I think I forgot to mention that bit.also on the semi circular end of spacer add the super glue half way round from the bottom up.Then glue the curving front card to it.Don't put glue on the curving card instead of the spacer(If the glue extends past the point you can grip,it wil dry leaving the card stiff and un usable).All super glue goes on the flat card lower wing and the spacer.This is applies to super glue ,its not so important for other glues.
Really practice your dry runs as you only get one or two at the most chances to re position the card.Super glue has a little longer work time when its gluing the printed side of card,non the less it can be a pig.the waxed surface can allow the glue to run! so watch your fingers.
I've just finished painting the wing and added the under cariage(but not the wheels I still can't find them,so I give in I'll make some more lol)
I'll come clean I've had to go back and repaint the body too.Because some one was feeling quite smug because he was ahead of target.So the universe added dirty great yellow finger prints down the side.It couldn't been me as I'm a professional ;).
I am nolonger ahead.So I'll add pictures tomorrow as I'm out of time to night.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:23:43 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
Now we're getting some where.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
Definitely.

I guess the whole thing is very light. Are the vertical members doing all the supporting in the undercarriage, or are the cocktail sticks doing something too?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 08:45:18 PM »
Every part is supporting the other.I hoped by leaving the engines open,would show how little structural wieght each cocktail sticks is carrying.As they're not touching anything much.
I've taken a little more than was needed off the bottom of the wheels,as it didn't show up in the photographs.The point of the flat section is just to sit a little better on a table.