Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HLBS Austro-Hungarians?  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
HLBS Austro-Hungarians?
« on: August 26, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »
I recently perused the HLBS and decided to buy that lovely, lovely British WWI howitzer. But, as I am right in the middle of John Biggins 'Prohaska' quadrology I was drawn to the Austro Hungarian catalog section. No images... Those of you who know me may noticed I have managed to keep my bile down this time (the wonders of beta blockers). My curiosity awakened I wonder if anyone has any idea what they look like? Hideous little lumps of unrefined lead or hidden treasures of art? Any images anywhere?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: HLBS Austro-Hungarians?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:10:45 PM »
There are some on this topic, but unfortunately the pics don't really reveal much of the Austrian figures. They did close-ups of just about everybody except the K.u.K boys. It's almost as if they did it on purpose, just to spite you...

http://wabforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3398&p=36409

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
There are some on this topic, but unfortunately the pics don't really reveal much of the Austrian figures. They did close-ups of just about everybody except the K.u.K boys. It's almost as if they did it on purpose, just to spite you...

Bastards. So they are also part of the conspiracy. Still, I thank you for getting this to my attention.

Offline andekmcc

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 02:56:53 PM »

http://wabforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3398&p=36409

I spotted these guys as well and asked on the forum what manufacturer they were from, as you say can't really tell how good, bad or indifferent the figures are from the photos.  They look ok albeit you can only really see them from the back, that said having seen some of the other HLBS figures from that WW1 range close up I've hesitated in ordering.  Their big guns are really nice though.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Just in case you didn't know, Renegade and Battle Honors make K.u.K. troops too, Hammers.

Though infuriatingly, Renegade have five packs of rank and file, but no command figures or machine guns. The BH ones have been showcased in a topic here on LAF, and they looked okay. Can't remember the name of the thread so haven't got a link for that (and am too lazy to go searching).

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:41:48 AM »
Just in case you didn't know, Renegade and Battle Honors make K.u.K. troops too, Hammers.

Though infuriatingly, Renegade have five packs of rank and file, but no command figures or machine guns. The BH ones have been showcased in a topic here on LAF, and they looked okay. Can't remember the name of the thread so haven't got a link for that (and am too lazy to go searching).
I think it was one Soapy wrote as he sculpted some of the BH ones and is now doing the GB ones

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »
Hi Peder,

Please look under this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5677.0

in the various pages you wiill see some of the BH A-Hs fromn various folks.

The MGs I've not photographed yet, nevertheless, there are two MGs on tripods and one being carried by three soldiers. Overall they are okay. My money will be on Paul Hicks AH and maybe Bill from Musketeer miniatures at a later date after he has completed his Russians for WW1.

Chow.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline andekmcc

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:18:27 AM »
Hi Peder,

Please look under this thread:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5677.0

in the various pages you wiill see some of the BH A-Hs fromn various folks.

The MGs I've not photographed yet, nevertheless, there are two MGs on tripods and one being carried by three soldiers. Overall they are okay. My money will be on Paul Hicks AH and maybe Bill from Musketeer miniatures at a later date after he has completed his Russians for WW1.

Chow.

Ditto that, the ones from BH are quite nice, lots of character and variety almost every one is a different sculpt, some are a bit rough and ready though, bits missing and casting faults.  The BG ones are nice as well, very clean sculpts and they paint up quite easily, but i find them slightly uninspiring somehow - that said I'm going to build up a company of each for WGW from both of these manufacturers.  I'm hoping the ones from Musketeer will be better.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:44:59 AM »
I totally forgot that Brigade make some too. Sorry, Lon!  :)

Offline Justizius

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »
Unfortunately there are not many minis for the K&K Army, I am from Austria and very intersted in WWI...   :-[
The Habsburg monarchy was important these days and playes a major part in WWI so I think there should be more choiche. 

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »
I'd love to see some character miniatures to. The Good Soldier Švejk, Linienschiffsleutnant Otokar, Ritter von Prohaska, Kommandant Georg Ritter von Trapp, Julius "Papa" Ringel.

Thanks for the tips on models, people. I think I saw a Schwartzlose team somewhere among the tips...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 07:51:29 PM by hammershield »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »
I think there should be more choiche. 

If they had directly fought the Brits a bit more there would be. Unfortunately, most of the powers that be in wargaming are British or at least English-speaking. Austria-Hungary is something of a forgotten participant in the Great War, because it didn't kill tens of thousands of Tommies.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 01:37:19 AM »
Austria-Hungary is something of a forgotten participant in the Great War, because it didn't kill tens of thousands of Tommies.

That's what I call lack of appreciation.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »
Austria-Hungary is something of a forgotten participant in the Great War, because it didn't kill tens of thousands of Tommies.

That's what I call lack of appreciation.

That’s off topic but I think that, as a whole, the Great War is not a well know conflict. At least to the general public. Here in Canada ( at least in Québec) you could hardly find someone who’s able to tell you the starting and finishing years of the war, let alone any particular name of battle… It’s sad really especially given the fact that this conflict is still having repercussions in the present day ( in the Balkan or in the Middle East for example). The Canada lost around 60,000 man in this war and if I'm not mistaking it was equal to 1/100 of the total population of the country at the time.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »
I don't think that is quite the case yet here in Blighty. It still casts a long shadow, despite the best efforts of modern commentators to turn back the clock, gloss over the catastrophe, and repaint military adventurism and war as something glorious, patriotic and fun again.