Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Has anybody ever played Power Legion?  (Read 9457 times)

Offline carlosyc

• Bookworm
Has anybody ever played Power Legion?
« on: October 16, 2014, 12:49:57 AM »
It seems to be really good:

"Power Legion is a fast-playing tabletop wargame ruleset. Each player controls a team of heroes or villains, each with their own attributes, traits, and tricks.

Create any hero from comics, animation or film with a flexible point-based system;
Use 3 to 5 figures per side or play larger games;

Playable on a 3'x3' table using any figures you already own;

A game lasts 45 minutes to one hour."

Please talk something about that "Advanced Supertactics"

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Has anybody ever played Power Legion?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:12 AM »
I have not had the time to play yet. The rules look fairly easy and seems like a decent system. If you want a simple super style mini game this would be a good choice. If you are wanting more options and powers, well you would need to wait for SuperSystem4 that seems to cover those areas more. I do plan to give this a try and I figure I will like it as a lighter super hero game.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline timlillig

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
I have also read the rules, and they do look good, but I have not played yet.

Online YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »
I havn't played it yet, but would also be interested in this. I picked up most Ganesha products over the years but this one didn't really catch me for some reason.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:54:37 PM »
I have missed that they were out!!! Might be what I'm looking for to continue with my solo campaign "Crow City" with, have tried BASH and was mucking around with Showdown, but this seems quite good.

Glad that they've moved away from the usual engine for this, although I love it in Mutants And Death Ray Guns I think it's not that suitable for superpowers. I shall invest in it soon.
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline rollntider

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 06:12:51 AM »
Looking at the rules, I really like them.

I don't like the movement sticks. whats wrong with just doing a measurment?

i.e.
Normal human 4 inches
Athlete 6 inches
Olympic Athlete 7 inches
Super human 8 inches
Monster 9 inches
Cosmic 12 inches

and make points cost based on that(dice cost, d4 to d20). The movement seems like a restriction.

But everything else so far seems cool. Like how many actions you can do... nice mechanic.

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »
Looking at the rules, I really like them.

I don't like the movement sticks. whats wrong with just doing a measurment?

i.e.
Normal human 4 inches
Athlete 6 inches
Olympic Athlete 7 inches
Super human 8 inches
Monster 9 inches
Cosmic 12 inches

and make points cost based on that(dice cost, d4 to d20). The movement seems like a restriction.

But everything else so far seems cool. Like how many actions you can do... nice mechanic.

I crumbled and bought the rules, and after a quick flick through I have decided I really like them!!! The three movement sticks are a staple in Ganesha games rules, and I think it's a lot easier than to fiddle around with increments of 1" here or there in movement, which I view as pretty unnecessary. Much easier to buy Long Move and you have a fast moving character, but not superpowered so, with movement powers (Flight, Superspeed, Teleport etc) you mostly move Long sticks, depending on the die in the power up to 7x Long sticks/ Action!!! The only thing I was "missing" was Paralyze, but that effect can be integrated in a Major Damage result so I'm not worried.

Have started to stat up a few characters to see how it works out and pretty happy with the mechanics so far, itching to have a test-drive, hopefully by Monday-Tuesday  :D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 10:48:50 PM »
Since you're playing solitaire, do you think these rules are good for solo gaming ?

thanks

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »
Since you're playing solitaire, do you think these rules are good for solo gaming ?

thanks

I tried Mutants and Death Ray Guns solo and they worked fine, as you "dice" for how many actions you take with a single individual and if you roll badly enough you get no actions and the turn goes over to the other side. A similar mechanic exist in these rules, granted I've only flicked through them, but I think the answer would be YES!

In short: You have four Attributes (Mind, Agility, Strength and Knockout), ranging from D4 (average human) to D20 (Cosmic). Most powers and abilities you also buy in these steps, a few are "flat rate". Bonuses or penalties are added/ subtracted from the die type, so if you try to shoot someone for instance in cover (-1) and you have D8 to hit, you roll a D6 instead. If you get 1-3 points more in damage vs. opponents Knockout you choose a Minor Effect, 4+ points you've scored a Major Effect. The way I understand it, a super can be KO'd/ Killed in two ways, 1) Their Knockout dice has been taken down from D4 (some Effects lower your dice by 1 each time) one more time or 2) A Major Effect can force you to roll Knockout vs the damage inflicted and if you fail you are KO'd even if your Knockout die were D4 or higher (lucky shot, nerve pinch, tremendous force etc).

I'll be happy to post thoughts and stuff when I have done the test game. On the other hand, the rules are downloadable for around $8.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
I crumbled and bought the rules, and after a quick flick through I have decided I really like them!!! The three movement sticks are a staple in Ganesha games rules, and I think it's a lot easier than to fiddle around with increments of 1" here or there in movement, which I view as pretty unnecessary. Much easier to buy Long Move and you have a fast moving character, but not superpowered so, with movement powers (Flight, Superspeed, Teleport etc) you mostly move Long sticks, depending on the die in the power up to 7x Long sticks/ Action!!! The only thing I was "missing" was Paralyze, but that effect can be integrated in a Major Damage result so I'm not worried.

Have started to stat up a few characters to see how it works out and pretty happy with the mechanics so far, itching to have a test-drive, hopefully by Monday-Tuesday  :D

Paralyze may make it into a supplement. I asked Andrea about the lack of Growth/Size type powers and he indicated they would be in a supplement - I suspect there will be other stuff in there too.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »
i think its brilliant and perfect fun game system like all there line

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »
Paralyze may make it into a supplement. I asked Andrea about the lack of Growth/Size type powers and he indicated they would be in a supplement - I suspect there will be other stuff in there too.

Good stuff, I'm still having a read through so I can at least have a grasp of the rules without constantly flicking through. Danger Sense is also mentioned and there is a cost, but no description. If you look under other rules (Surprise Attacks, Blinded etc) it's mentioned there, but it would be nice to have it in the Traits section too  ;).

Have statted up The Crimson Shade from my Knights of Avalon (see other thread here on the forum) for test game as an exercise.

M: D8
A: D6
S: D6
K: D8

TRAITS
Invisibility
Intimidation D10
Marksman D10
Martial Arts D10
Ranged Damage (Twin Pistols, Device) D6
Slippery
Stealth D10
Teleport D6 (2xLong)

Offline JamesFlowers

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »
I do like the choosing of minor and major damage effects , a lot more descriptive than use hit point bashing.

I am reading through the rule set now , and maybe propose if someone wants to try them over a roll20 session we could bash something out.

Who would be your heros ?

I would go with an iconic , costumed adventurer and trusty sidekick , shut then I am obsessed that they Re the three only real supers I want to play !

Hit me up here or via pm and we can thrash something out.

Also , I am working on the hourofpower blogspot , for my creations and opinions...

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
Thanks for your help, Legionnaire !

Online Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
No worries mate!!!  :D

Just about to put up pics from the playtest, great fun!!!