Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:19:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Octotonic mat gets Occupied!  (Read 2424 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
The Octotonic mat gets Occupied!
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:43:08 AM »
http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/

I know, photos, photos!  Well, they are at the link.  Start with the Scenery page once you get there to see what this topic is about.  And then, if you want, you can visit the French and Indian War page to see a bunch of my figures on the table with the terrain.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: The Octotonic mat gets Occupied!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
arrrrrrgghhhh

i'm sure what you've done is awesome but i simply cannot read your blog because of the garish colours!

also i dont think you're directly linking to the page in question ?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:35:33 AM »
Brandlin, no offense intended but are you possible color blind.  Or maybe your monitor is adjusted different than most.  When I first set up the blog I consulted on this very topic and most folks seemed to find the setup as is just fine.  But I appreciate the feedback.  Maybe later I'll post links to the individual pages and you can at least see the photographs.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:46:20 AM »
Links to the individual entries are usually better. Even if the entry you're mentioning is on top of your blog currently, if someone comes across this post a year from now they'll have a devilish time trying to find the entry at that future date, even if you have a well-organized blog.

Also, it is generally good form to include some of the actual content - an image or some body text - as a teaser, over and above just pasting a link and adding an encouraging sentence. Though this is generally up to the discretion of the person posting.

:)

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:52:40 AM »
Im not colour blind and I have to be honest I don't like the colour scheme either. it doesn't make for a pleasant reading experience.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:32:07 AM »
Not colourblind here, thankfully. Orangey-brown on orangey-yellow really is not a good colour scheme.

Also, which post did you mean to link us to? I can't see anything about a game mat on your front page currently...

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:58:13 AM »
Also, it is generally good form to include some of the actual content - an image or some body text - as a teaser, over and above just pasting a link and adding an encouraging sentence. Though this is generally up to the discretion of the person posting.

+1.

Im not colour blind and I have to be honest I don't like the colour scheme either. it doesn't make for a pleasant reading experience.

And definitly another +1
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 06:11:47 AM »
http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/french-and-indian-war.html

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/scenery-in-general.html

Okay, above are the links to the two pages in question.  But those pages will still change over time so I'm not sure how to "hold" the links for later days viewers.  Advice on that front welcome.

Hmm, on my screen my backgrounds are a pleasant tan and lightish brown color and text is easy to read.  Pretty sure I used a "stock" color setup to start with but too long ago to recall exactly.  While I hear your concerns, I still wonder if it is the difference between screens and color renderings.  I know this can vary tremendously.  I have two screens at work linked to each other and each renders colors distinctly differently, even with the exact same image displayed.  I use a Mac laptop computer at home.  Maybe that is part of the difference.  Not sure how many of you with the image quality issue are in Europe but maybe there is a technological difference in the locations as well.  I'm in California, USA.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »

Hmm, on my screen my backgrounds are a pleasant tan and lightish brown color and text is easy to read.  Pretty sure I used a "stock" color setup to start with but too long ago to recall exactly. 

YOur body text is black on a yellow-orange background which is perfectly readable, but your intro blurb ("Where playing with toy soldiers is the whole point..." etc) is yellow-on-yellow. There's no contrast between the text and the background, so while it's readable it's awkward.

Your menu has the same problem, and your links and such down the left-hand column is even harder to read. Swap that text to black on the current background and you're fine, or change the background colour, either way; right now it's all muddy because there's no contrast.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
Brandlin, no offense intended but are you possible color blind.  Or maybe your monitor is adjusted different than most.  When I first set up the blog I consulted on this very topic and most folks seemed to find the setup as is just fine.  But I appreciate the feedback.  Maybe later I'll post links to the individual pages and you can at least see the photographs.

Nope not colour blind

There's a reason orange on orange isnt a prevalent colour scheme on websites across the world....

I suspect you've not stuck to a web-safe colour scheme and therefore the colour varies enormously device to device. however on my 2 computers and my ipad its offensive to the eye.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 03:48:22 PM »

Well I didn't read the text (yet) but that's a lot of terrain options with all those various hills shapes and the mat. Nice work! 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »
Calimero, glad you took time to view and comment on the actual content.  Yeah, my goal was great diversity - and I'm not done yet.

And for the others, I've made some tweaks and adjustments directed at your readability concerns.  Yes, I do listen just been a busy week.