Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690924
  • Total Topics: 118358
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Song of Drums & Tomahawks available!  (Read 8960 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Song of Drums & Tomahawks available!
« on: October 28, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »

Hi everyone,

Well, it has finally arrived. My set of French & Indian War rules are now available for download at the Ganesha Games site. The print on demand book will be up shortly, too. I have been developing these rules for several years, now. They are a variant of the the Napoleonic skirmish set, "Song of Drums & Shakos." However, they are a stand alone booklet -- you don't need any other product when you buy these.

http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_51&products_id=267&osCsid=3aego61eb516b6p87ahv9otf02

These are a skirmish set, so each player will control as few as 7 or so figures to as many as a dozen-plus. The constant decision making makes the games tense and exciting. The scalping rules add an aspect of randomness to Indian behavior, and we've found that they are adaptable to any scenario you have in mind. The "traits" rules allows you to tailor your force to represent just about any troop types, and to individualize figures as much as you like.

For $8, they are a bargain. There is a considerable amount of history and background information in the rules. Of course, I would be saying something like that...as I wrote them!  lol

Feel free to post any questions or comments...

Mike Demana

Offline raif

• Librarian
    • alea iacta est
Re: Song of Drums & Tomahawks available!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:13:40 AM »
Wil there be a chance to get a print on demand-version in europe?

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:54:30 PM »
I would also be more interested in a print version, if one is planned (for the US), but if not I'm sure I'll grab the pdf anyways.

Offline Genialjim

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
Do they work for AWI as well?

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 10:39:59 PM »
Do they work for AWI as well?

Well, from the game's description, I should think so:

Quote from: Song of Drums & Tomahawks
Warfare in the Eastern Woodlands of America was one of raids, ambushes and sudden violent encounters. These are the skirmishes that Song of Drums and Tomahawks seeks to recreate. The French & Indian War is the most well-known conflict of this period, but these rules cover from the time of the European arrival until the mid-1800s.

I don't know if this is the go-to rule set for AWI skirmishes that wouldn't involve Native Americans, but then again I'm not sure, off the top of my head, what is.  I don't own either this or Song of Drums & Shakos (Napoleonics skirmish), but I would think that between the two, you could cover skirmishes for most conflicts of the period.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 12:53:45 AM »
Hi everyone,

I would think the print-on-demand will be available in Europe very soon, too. Ganesha Games is an Italian company, so I imagine they will put this up simultaneously with POD in the U.S. I will double-check and get back to you, though.

These rules would certainly work for AWI or any black powder period. The combatants are identical between the French & Indian War period and the American Revolution. You're not going to be able to refight Cowpens with these rules, of course. But any of the smaller skirmishes -- absolutely...especially as you get out on the hairier fringes of the North American continent.

Mike Demana

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 01:10:34 AM »
Just downloaded here in Oz, now to get a print and have a good read.

If it is as good as your demo/con games, it will be a cracker.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
Thanks Mike,

Have bought the PDF and looking forward to a game.

RMZ

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 03:35:45 AM »
Thanks for the votes of confidence! Expect regular support from us on this project (one near and dear to my heart, as you can imagine, living in Ohio, the tinderbox of the French & Indian War).

Moving into the playtest stage is a campaign book based on "The Beaver Wars" -- you have to love a name like that! This was a conflict fought here in my home state between various Indian tribes over the trapping grounds located here. Also in the booklet will be a wealth of scenarios that I've run at various conventions and for my Sunday night gaming group. In fact, I'm running a new one Saturday night at Game Day at Fort Meigs called, "Will Magua kill 'Gray Hair'?" based on the ambush after the siege of Ft. William Henry.

Feel free to post any questions about the rules, concepts, or historical background.

Mike Demana

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »
I can't seem to get on their website at the moment, I'll try again later as I'm very interested in this.

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 10:08:32 PM »
Looks very interesting, will it work for anglo-powhatan wars?
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline sespe

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 06:32:49 AM »
It should, the musket rules are flexible.  It is very similar to Drums and Shakos.  Formation movement is removed (smaller scale here) and some nice specific traits added.

Ganesha Games did say their website is down all weekend, something wrong with the Host.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 02:20:15 AM »
It should, the musket rules are flexible.  It is very similar to Drums and Shakos.  Formation movement is removed (smaller scale here) and some nice specific traits added.

Absolutely, the rules will work for the Powhatan Wars! We intend a follow-up, detailed army list, scenario & background info book on the early periods. Some of the specific aspects of that warfare will need special rules. For example, in the south, some of our drawing board rules are that Spanish horse troops will cause fear in troops unused to them. As will kills and knock-downs by gunpowder weapons. The wooden armor of some early native troops can use Cuirass, but the trait will not count against gunpowder or large "Primitive" weapons. More to come on that, of course...

Ganesha Games did say their website is down all weekend, something wrong with the Host.

Website is back up...just checked it!

Mike Demana

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 01:35:03 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

For $8, they are a bargain.

Absolutely right, just downloaded my copy and reading through now.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
Absolutely right, just downloaded my copy and reading through now.

Thank you -- I appreciate your support. The rules are selling well and have been in the top 3 or 4 "hottest titles" on Wargame Vault, since we put them there. They are also available for print on demand. They come in a really handy 6"x9" "digest size," which is how Ganesha Games is doing its rules books, now. My box of print copies arrived last week (which I will take to the conventions to sell in person). Here's my hand holding the first booklet -- my first published set of rules!  lol

Here's the link to download them:

On Ganesha Games: http://www.ganeshagames.net/product_info.php?cPath=1_51&products_id=267&osCsid=r1dkch5705si1kpu56jn25h5p5

On Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/139714/Song-of-Drums-and-Tomahawks?affiliate_id=23711

Thanks everyone for making my first rules writing venture a success!

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:25:10 PM by mikedemana »